Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
jim1932

Default Big trucks?

I was thinking that we don't see many big truck restorations on here. Who is working on something bigger than a pickup or panel?
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Big trucks?

I have one but have no time to work on it. For that reason it has been up for sale here for quite some time now with no takers. Maybe some day I will restore the running gear and convert it from a four cylinder to a flathead V8 and at least make it a driver.

Ad with attached pictures.... https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43710

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
1952henry

I have an F3 Marmon Herrington express I plan to start on soon. Still a pickup, but a larger one.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
Shu47

I have a 47 1 ton but not restoring it. I just want a driver. Besides, it didn't look much different when Gandpa had it as a farm truck. To restore it to something different then a I remember growing up doesn't seem right.
Shu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
sonny

I have a32bb 1.5 ton flatbed dually. It was purchased from Paul Newmans "The hole in the wall gang camp" it was one of their farm trucks. I trailered up to New York to bring it home and didn't realize just how good of shape it was in until I started to take it apart. I know some of you guys don't go this route, but I wanted to restore it. Being that I have recently retired I needed something to do. Did a complete body off restoration, with cab and all sheet metal refinished inside an out. As I said before this truck was in very good condition and other than stripping, it needed very little repair. Painted it rock moss green, with the fenders and boards black. Refinished frame and painted black.Went through all the steering, brakes etc. and rebuilt or replaced anything it needed. Built a new bed out of oak and painted it same color as the cab with black skid strips. Took it to Portage trim in Ravenna, Ohio where he rebuilt the seats and installed a new black headliner, carpet and kick panels where he even stitched in a pouch for the paperwork. All new tubes and tires,wiring and anything else that needed attention. It runs great and that old 4cyl pulls that truck around just fine. I mean with the gearing it's no turnpike cruiser but it's great for garage saling or going to breakfast or just making a beer run. I only have three pictures on the computer and am not sure how to get them on here. my son in law got the one picture on my avatar. Thanks .......Sonny
sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
Cecil/WV

Here's my big truck, I plan to paint it next fall. A former fire pumper truck. Zero rust out on the cab.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big Red 4.JPG (155.0 KB, 32 views)
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
malpais

Like others , I have one I'm not doing much with (it's the '38 in my avatar). Bought it for parts (engine, cab, dash, etc) but hate to tear the old girl apart. Got the engine running this summer and was going to drive it around the farm but can't get the darn lug nuts off (and the clutch seems stuck). Someday.........

Guess we all just work on the smaller stuff that's more drivable...
Old 01-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
donh

I'm working on two 1 1/2 ton trucks.
One is a 1933 with an express body that delivered coal to homes. The owner hand shoveled the coal off! It has a 4cyl engine. It is licensed and on the road.
The other is a 1934 with a rack body. Owner white washed barns and also the truck. It has a 59A V-8.
Both are original and I intend to leave them that way.Cab and body are in great shape.
Working on the V-8 this winter to get it running. Front and rear brakes have been redone.
Fun trucks to drive. Both are faster than the 1928 chain drive Mack I restored. But the Mack would out pull and carry more than the Fords.
donh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #9
expavr

Does a One Ton qualify as a Big truck? My 1940 Tonner "Express" was used to haul wheat seed into the fields near Ritzville,Wa. I used it around the place to haul building materials, hay, manure and what have you for 10 years until the clutch went out. (before photo) Somehow the simple process of replacing the clutch mysteriously turned into a 5 year body off restoration. (after photo) Now its mainly used to haul grandkids to the ice cream store, pull floats in the 4th of July parade, visit ACE hardware and breakfast with other old timers. I think the old workhorse enjoys being put out to pasture, although when called on it can show its workhorse pedigree. (photo with engine) The engine is a 34 built for display by members of EFV8 Club Region 11 on its way to a car show.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck8.jpg (88.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Truck-Shirt-Photos-010.jpg (81.2 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg truck-with-engine-2.jpg (75.5 KB, 65 views)
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:08 AM   #10
mtflat

It's a sickness if you ask my wife!

50 F4 and 48 F6

This is what the 50 is turning into

52 F6

52 F2

Last edited by mtflat; 01-11-2013 at 09:33 PM.
mtflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #11
Cecil/WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by expavr View Post
Does a One Ton qualify as a Big truck? My 1940 Tonner "Express" was used to haul wheat seed into the fields near Ritzville,Wa. I used it around the place to haul building materials, hay, manure and what have you for 10 years until the clutch went out. (before photo) Somehow the simple process of replacing the clutch mysteriously turned into a 5 year body off restoration. (after photo) Now its mainly used to haul grandkids to the ice cream store, pull floats in the 4th of July parade, visit ACE hardware and breakfast with other old timers. I think the old workhorse enjoys being put out to pasture, although when called on it can show its workhorse pedigree. (photo with engine) The engine is a 34 built for display by members of EFV8 Club Region 11 on its way to a car show.
I like that truck. There is nothing that looks wimpy about it!!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #12
Cecil/WV

The last pic looks like a '52.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #13
flat-v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by expavr View Post
I love the look of that Tonner, better than the 1\2 ton, Beautiful truck!
flat-v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #14
alanwoodieman

I rebuilt a 41 3/4 ton stake bed, I had been around 40 Fords for 25 years and when I saw it, I did not know what is was, but I bought it anyway. It gets looks wherever I drive it. I will try to post some pictures soon.
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #15
More Dust than Rust

Just listed my '34 BB dump truck on the swap page today, JM 35 I feel the "no time" thing as well. I'm not sure I'll be able to retire for another 20 years and can't let it sit that long. Needs to go to a good home. Too bad it was a blast taking it out around town, never did make it in the santa parade as planned.
More Dust than Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #16
Henry/Kokomo

Big trucks are neat. I missed a chance to buy a '40 (I think) COE tractor. Really hated that.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #17
Mike/Franklin

I have two 39's. A dump truck and a ton and a half dual wheel panel truck.

Gathering sheet metal to get the dump back on the road.I don't do body work so search for sheet metal is fun. This year scored a pair of NOS 40-41 fenders that will fit, the splash shield from the grill to the front cross member, (When's the last time you saw one?) one of the hood side panels and one of the inner door panels. All of these parts NOS. Didn't know this stuff was out there but that's the neat thing about the big trucks especially 38-39. Parts are often passed up at the meets. Lots of work to do on the cab cowl sides and cab mounts. Also got a nice 8BA motor, didn't hear it run but it should, 100 lbs of compression in all cylinders and all there. Anybody got a decent cab in New England area?

Panel truck is real unusual but a long range project.

ML
Mike/Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:05 AM   #18
mtflat

Not a current project, this is the early 50's - I'm the little kid on dad's lap

Some of my grandkids on my lap about 2008

and another from the early 50's 1939 Ton and a half
mtflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #19
47 flatbed

This is my 47 one ton after we pulled it out of a garage in St Louis
47 flatbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #20
47 flatbed

need picture i guess
Attached Images
File Type: jpg late 2009 season 040.jpg (99.6 KB, 21 views)
47 flatbed is offline   Reply With Quote