Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
bdotson

Default Powder coating wheels

What is a fair price for powder coating a wheels? Any one know of a place in the east texas area that does it at a reasonable price? thanks Buddy
bdotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:27 AM   #2
Bill W

Default Re: Powder coating wheels

Don't know anout the Texas area but I had mine done at Gerard Tire in Charlotte, NC for $ 20.00 per wheal. I furnished the pant as they did not have the color that I needed but if you choose a color in stock by them it is still $20.00 per wheel.

Bill
Bill W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i believe i paid about 70.00 a wheel that included everything, sandblasting, and materials.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
Bruce

Our favorite powder coater charges $45/wheel for blast, undercoat, top coat, and bake using their powder. Stock colors are PD close -- easily within range of tones that your Model A friends would accept as bonafide and true-to-Henry. A bare frame with running board brackets runs $225 for blast and coating.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
ford31

mine about a month ago(5 wheels) 280 for sand blasting and powder coated red,sand blasting is by the hour sunrisebeach,mo
ford31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
V4F

out here in n.ca. they charge $25/each . all included ......... steve
Old 05-18-2010, 12:47 PM   #7
Bill Cal.

Steve,
Could you please tell me where you had your wheels done? Thanks, Bill
Bill Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
Brentwood Bob

Steve, would also be interested in powder coater. I was quoted from Les schwab at $268. for 4. demount, powder coat,remount, and balance-out the door. Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
Pacersw

Sounds like some real good deals......Coker Tire is charging me $55.00 per wheel to powder-coat their new 19 inch wheels.
Pacersw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
denis4x4

$50 a wheel to blast and powder coat here in Durango
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:16 PM   #11
Mitch//pa
BANNED

I guess I over paid a little but they sure look and hold up great.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:42 PM   #12
bdotson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
I guess I over paid a little but they sure look and hold up great.
I got a quote here for 100 each you bring the wheels in with the tires off. I think I can beat that even with the shipping
Old 05-18-2010, 05:49 PM   #13
Model A Man

I got a quote here in california at a car show that had a vendor setup and I was quoted $125.00 per wheel.
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:55 PM   #14
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdotson View Post
I got a quote here for 100 each you bring the wheels in with the tires off. I think I can beat that even with the shipping
About the same here in Florida
Old 05-18-2010, 06:32 PM   #15
Cape Codder

What product can be used to fill spokes for smoothness prior to Powder Coating. I have always thought JB Weld could be used but don't know if it could hold up to the heat.

Thanks for your time.
Joe Grobleski
Cape Cod
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:56 PM   #16
wrndln

I used J-B Weld to fill some curb nicks and dings before powdercoating. It work fine.
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:24 PM   #17
kenparker

D-K Powder Coating in marshall, Texas does a beautiful job. That have done 10 wheels for me and at least 20 for friends of mine here in East Texas. Cost $40 or $45 per wheel if i 'member correctly. Ken
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #18
kenparker

Call D-K Powder Coating in Marshall, Texas. They do a beautiful job. They have done several sets of wheels for me and friends in the area. Ken
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:04 PM   #19
rogeroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
What product can be used to fill spokes for smoothness prior to Powder Coating. I have always thought JB Weld could be used but don't know if it could hold up to the heat.

Thanks for your time.
Joe Grobleski
Cape Cod
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
I used J-B Weld to fill some curb nicks and dings before powdercoating. It work fine.

I've heard about JB Weld and also Eastwood recommends a product called Lab-Metal. Has anyone had any luck with it?
rogeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:19 PM   #20
bdotson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenparker View Post
Call D-K Powder Coating in Marshall, Texas. They do a beautiful job. They have done several sets of wheels for me and friends in the area. Ken
Thanks will do
Old 05-18-2010, 09:44 PM   #21
peters180a/170b

Ok guys , I know nothing about power coating ! But i have a question ? Once power coated what would it take to remove ? Sandblasting again ? That sounds like all you can do.? thanks ,,,reason if i don't like the look i can change with no problems.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:53 PM   #22
tohimbdick

I've had two sets done here in Northern WI for less that $40.per wheel.
tohimbdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:17 PM   #23
expavr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Man View Post
I got a quote here in california at a car show that had a vendor setup and I was quoted $125.00 per wheel.
If you're located in SoCal try Orange County Sandblasting and Powder Coating 714-532-4633. They blasted, primed, and coated my wheels for $55.00 each. turned out good.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:42 PM   #24
expavr

Quote:
Originally Posted by peters180a/170b View Post
Ok guys , I know nothing about power coating ! But i have a question ? Once power coated what would it take to remove ? Sandblasting again ? That sounds like all you can do.? thanks ,,,reason if i don't like the look i can change with no problems.
I had the toe kick on my rear bumper powder coated flat black. I didn't care for the look and had it recoated to a gloss black. As it was explained to me they lightly blasted the original coating to "rough it up" and then recoated with the new coating. Cost $25.00. It looks great and matches the gloss black bumper. Changing colors might be another issue, but the coater should be able to answer that one.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:52 AM   #25
Roadster62

Please add me to the powder coating looks like crap camp, real men paint their wheels. Gary at American Dry Stripping in Mulford, Ct. will remove the stuff in an oven designed for powder coating removal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peters180a/170b View Post
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:43 AM   #26
Barry B./ Ma.

Had a couple of sets done at Central Mass. Powdercoating in Clinton and am very happy with the results. They were $70 ea. which included sandblast, degrease, priming and coating. They have a wide array of colors.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:39 AM   #27
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Allow me play a game with you regarding cost. How much should it cost to paint your wheels with Krylon rattle-can paint over bare metal? How much should it cost to paint the wheel with top-quality urethane paint? Apply those differences to powdercoating costs. The quality of powder used, the prep work (cleaning), and pre-heating for a better bond all factors into the price. As a shop owner who does powdercoating in-house, I can atest there is no way that I can do a proper job and use quality materials for $20 a wheel.

With regard to removing baked on powder, you do have a couple of choices. There are some hi-powered paint strippers/removers that chemically attack the plastic and cause it to disolve, --or they can use extremely hi-temps to "over cook" it so it will release. How would you like to have your wheels subjected to 550° temps??

Now one thing that many folks do not understand is that powdercoat and urethane paint are both plastics. If a good quality powder is used, it can besanded & buffed to look just like urethane. Most untrained eyes cannot disern which was coated and which was sprayed. The reason powder-painting is preferred is it is a little more durable due to the application process. We have actually powdercoated aluminum foil and folded it without cracking it. So my point is, don't necessarily judge powder-painting because just like spraying a wheel with a 'spray bomb' vs using a SATA gun to spray urethane, it is all in the materials used and the application that dictates how the finished product will look.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #28
bdotson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Allow me play a game with you regarding cost. How much should it cost to paint your wheels with Krylon rattle-can paint over bare metal? How much should it cost to paint the wheel with top-quality urethane paint? Apply those differences to powdercoating costs. The quality of powder used, the prep work (cleaning), and pre-heating for a better bond all factors into the price. As a shop owner who does powdercoating in-house, I can atest there is no way that I can do a proper job and use quality materials for $20 a wheel.

With regard to removing baked on powder, you do have a couple of choices. There are some hi-powered paint strippers/removers that chemically attack the plastic and cause it to disolve, --or they can use extremely hi-temps to "over cook" it so it will release. How would you like to have your wheels subjected to 550° temps??

Now one thing that many folks do not understand is that powdercoat and urethane paint are both plastics. If a good quality powder is used, it can besanded & buffed to look just like urethane. Most untrained eyes cannot disern which was coated and which was sprayed. The reason powder-painting is preferred is it is a little more durable due to the application process. We have actually powdercoated aluminum foil and folded it without cracking it. So my point is, don't necessarily judge powder-painting because just like spraying a wheel with a 'spray bomb' vs using a SATA gun to spray urethane, it is all in the materials used and the application that dictates how the finished product will look.
Great points and well taken with that being said what do you charge to do a quality job? thanks for your input Buddy
Old 05-20-2010, 06:30 AM   #29
skip
Banned

Find a company in town that has a powder coat line and in the 2nd shift, check with the boss, but have the kid who pulls the trigger on the gun process your wheels. May not have the exact color, and buy him a pizza and a pop. That's how I get my stuff P-coated.

You need to prep the wheels. But make sure the bare steel wheels are de-painted and then have the wheels go through the the whole process. Wash away oils and soils, apply 150 mg iron phosphate or 300 mg zinc phosphate per square foot, rinse, dry, cool, P-coat, and cure. Need about 5 to 8 lb powder for 4 to 6 wheels. Don't put the powder on thick and make sure the powder is an epoxy-polyester blend.

Oh try to have the wheels p-coated with virgin powder or at least powder that has not been recycled too many time. Insist on a few scoops of virgin in the powder hopper. That helps minimize the coating thickness. Really dead non electrostatic powder just builds up terribly. It's simply blown on. Not attracted to the work no matter how good the ground is.

Brent in 10-uh-C; Not steeling at all.
Do you have any idea just how many tons of 50 pound boxes of powder are recovered while just cleaning a p-coat booths, hoses, guns, hoppers and airfilters?

By the way. One 50 lb box of powder recycled is equal to two 55 gallon drums of Mauer-Shoemacker paint cut to 20 seconds on a #2 Zahn cup applied in an electrostatic Randsburg disc painting outfit and 10 gallon 'hot' isolated pot.

Any operating p-coat line has boxes and boxes of used powder waiting for an out-of-site job/under hood part, or just some job that is to be p-coated for protection only, color no option. Contaminated power, say black and white does not come out grey, but comes out black with white specks in it. They don't do the Mr Spock mind meld here.

There are companies out there that buy used powder for remelt and re pulverization and make regrind generic powder of no particular types. That's for el-cheapo's companies or jobs that apply a point-of-purchase, a 'lick and a promice' coating.

At Junction Mf'g. in Rives Junction, Michigan we lost a 33,000 piece a week p-coated wire job for one of our three paintlines...each paintline I designed and built was for 33,000 pieces per a 10 hour day at a line speed of 15 feet per minute with many pieces of work hung on the trolley and clevises. Six days a week. It paid for Ben's D-900 L.O.S.H.

[wire is any dia from 1-1/8 inch down to wire tie for bannans with paper on them where you start out with one top hat and end up with 300+ top hats by the time you get done pulling, heat treating, pulling again. Our Morgan wire puller, one of two ever made ran on 1700 amp 3 phase.]

...doing pulling, straightening, cut-off, coining, bending and piercing for GM B.O.C. in Lancing, 'Miss-Again' by a 1/4 of a penny per piece. Ben Stahl [that's 'steal' in German by the way] said not to worry the job will come back. And it did. We used prison labor for 75 cents an hour. The State made up the difference for minimum wage, packed them a lunch and supplied the school bus transportation to and from Jackson Prison. I had 3 inmates. Can't call them prisoners and these guys were my best workers. They loved to get out of the cage.

But a company should make a profit. That's how you and I get paid, unless you have a government job. No profit necessary here. I wish every 10th person was a millionaire then I could be a thousandaire. I never worked for a guy who had no money. Buck Ofama. LOL

skip.

Last edited by skip; 05-21-2010 at 10:07 AM.
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #30
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip View Post
Find a company in town that has a powder coat line and in the 2nd shift, check with the boss, but have the kid who pulls the trigger on the gun process your wheels. May not have the exact color, and buy him a pizza and a pop. That's how I get my stuff P-coated. You need to prep the wheels. But make sure the bare steel wheels are de-painted and then have the wheels go through the the whole process. Wash, phosphate, rinse, dry, P-coat, and cure. Need about 5 to 8 lb powder for 4 to 6 wheels. Don't put the powder on thick and make sure the powder is an epoxy-polyester blend.

skip.
Isn't that kinda immoral, ...and stealing from somebody?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:46 PM   #31
Tom Wesenberg

It's only stealing if you get caught! LOL

Just kidding, but that's how the politicians look at it!

;
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:04 PM   #32
Roadster62

It is in my book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Isn't that kinda immoral, ...and stealing from somebody?

Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote