Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2019, 01:00 PM   #1
steve fritz

Default y-block exhaust available?

Has anybody tried to order exhaust header pipes for 55-57 Ford y-block lately?
I am looking for a pair of down pipes for my 55 Ford 272 Y-block.
The local NAPA and UNITED stores don't carry or cant order them anymore. Looked at Macs and Concours and they don't list them in their catalogs.
My local Muffler shop could bend them , but just wondering if any sources still carry them already made up? Also , don't know if my local muffler shop has the correct flange at the top end , where they meet the manifolds.
Thanks,
Steve
steve fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
KULTULZ

Post Re: y-block exhaust available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve fritz View Post

I am looking for a pair of down pipes for my 55 Ford 272 Y-block.

The local NAPA and UNITED stores don't carry or cant order them anymore. Looked at Macs and Concours and they don't list them in their catalogs.

My local Muffler shop could bend them , but just wondering if any sources still carry them already made up? Also , don't know if my local muffler shop has the correct flange at the top end , where they meet the manifolds.

Thanks,
Steve
I would think they are not available due to low demand. If you find a shop that can fabricate off a pattern in their machine you are probably better off as the material used should be better than what was available in 1955.

The flanges are separate and welded to the inlet pipe. They will also be able to fudge if all of the exhaust system does not match.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Vintage-Exhau.../bn_7060812636

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:23 PM   #3
Hot Rod Reverend

Default Re: y-block exhaust available?

Look up Waldron's Exhaust up in Michigan, great people - I still have their exhaust pipes on my 55 after 25 years and no leaks...

They ship all over, I met them up at Carlisle, PA, many years ago at a swap meet.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:46 PM   #4
Daves55Sedan

The store-bought one you used to be able to order from the repro parts suppliers weren't the greatest. Often not bent right and had the vertical run too long so that the bottom of the pipe after the bend hit the frame where the pipe goes thru.
On the other hand, the local muffler shops around here can't or won't bend the "L" flange at the top for the oval-shaped mounting flange, but they will weld them. I prefer not to have mine welded for maximum flexibility in adjusting the pipe during installation.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:27 PM   #5
chiggerfarmer

I still have one of the two piece replacement inlet pipes for the left side. I too have had no luck finding any so I will have them copy this one and save it for show and tell. I suppose a copy of the single exhaust RH one will work. I hope. Putting this in a 54 car and have a 55 clutch linkage for it to give more room. The purpose of the two piece inlet pipes was to install them without removing the manifold.

Tom
chiggerfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:31 PM   #6
steve fritz

I gave WALDRUN EXHAUST out of MICHIGAN a call this afternoon. Very nice people to deal with. I ordered the pair of head pipes , they were reasonable.
Steve
steve fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:09 AM   #7
Hot Rod Reverend

glad to hear they are still in business and doing well...hopefully the quality for you is what I remember!