Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2015, 09:21 PM   #1
Greg Jones

Default Fuel Pump Advice

I have a 54 Victoria with a transplanted 56 292 V8. The engine has the fuel pump type shown in the picture and has a Holley 4000. I replaced the fuel pump with a new one from Dennis Carpenter (same type of pump) but the pump put out considerably more pressure than the Holley could tolerate. Since I bought this car set up this way, I don't know if this is a standard, typical setup or a Frankenstein kind of thing.

Anyway, I have read Holley 4000's like around 4.5# fuel pressure or less. Is there a better fuel pump to use with the Holley 4000? How do you guys regulate fuel pressure at delivery, if needed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuel pump.jpg (26.8 KB, 2 views)
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:34 PM   #2
Hot Rod Reverend

Default Re: Fuel Pump Advice

The picture you show... I think the Airtex 4286, is the correct fuel pump for your Holley teapot. Do you know if your fuel bowl has the inlet seat that is threaded or does it have the smooth bore with a spring? I have found that the spring pressure is pretty easy to overcome in the smooth bore seat plug. The threaded version works so much better.

I did find that with one Holley 4000 I had to use an in-line fuel pressure regulator, but that was a while back.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:00 PM   #3
WestCoast

most fuel pumps made in china or Asian country will do that, they will put out 7 to 8# pressure, f you cant find one made in the u.s.a. you have to choices, buy a fuel regulator and set it at 2 1/2 to 3#, or send it to one of the guys on here that rebuild them, uncle max and ken ct are two I think, ask in here and the guys will tell you who to use
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 07:56 PM   #4
Greg Jones

Thanks, WestCoast. Can anyone provide contact information for either gents?
Old 04-04-2015, 08:10 PM   #5
dmsfrr

There's a 'search members' function at this link.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/memberlist.php

uncle max - https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/member.php?u=16

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-04-2015 at 09:42 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:21 PM   #6
JeffB2

I would not be surprised if about 3 to 3.5 psi would be the sweet spot. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vulcan-Chrom...3809fa&vxp=mtr
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:10 PM   #7
Greg Jones

JeffB2, I procured the Vulcan regulator you reference in your post. Now please understand I am a Model A guy and not terribly familiar with these modern-fangled V8's with luxuries like vacuum advance and fuel pumps. So please pardon my newbie dumb questions. Anyway, I am using the Airtex fuel pump as noted. I would ASSUME that I install the regulator between the fuel pump and the carb. Instructions only say to install "between the tank and the carb." But since I am trying regulate fuel pressure delivery it sure seems intuitive that the regulator must be installed after the fuel pump.

Also, it seems that the regulator could be "hard-piped" to the fuel pump outlet port, and then the metal fuel line to the carb also hard-piped to the regulator. The regulator kit includes rubber hose sections but it would seem that an item as heavy as the regulator would be better off hard-piped rather than anchored in via rubber hoses. Any thoughts?