Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
BenLeBlanc

Default 31 Five Window Teen Build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pw6...-3ZDu3XkmkscoA

Well, just purchased my first project. Gotta say that it is pretty rough, but I can't wait to dig into it.

The plan: definitely going to keep it unchopped, and keeping the 4 banger in it, but putting on new heads at least.

Need to buy a subframe and patch panels galore, but in time it will happen. Came with a ton of parts I will clean up this winter; as so far that has been what I have been doing; cleaning up parts.

I am tending toward fender less hot rod but keeping the stock grille and hood. Definitely want it closer to the ground, but up in New England you can't get that low. As stated, I am only 19 so I could use a lot of help. I am digging deep into the Tardell book right now, but you're the experts.

-Ben LeBlanc

Last edited by BenLeBlanc; 12-09-2014 at 08:35 PM.
BenLeBlanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:55 PM   #2
Big hammer

Default Re: 31 Five Window Teen Build

First post Welcome! Please don't dive in and start working on the whole car.
Work one area like frame then front axle,rear end,wheels,etc. Complete
That subassembly then start a new subassembly.You will have fun and learn
new skills! You will have lows and highs working on YOUR car! Make a plan
and stick to it. Good luck and use the Barn you will have many question .
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:11 PM   #3
armchair67

You've got your work cut out for you with that one-BUT I have saved worse cars. Get it solid, get it running, and go from there. Good luck with the project!
armchair67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:12 PM   #4
armchair67

Oh-and join a local Model A club. That is essential. I just went to my first meeting-great group of people, all of them seem willing to help any Model A owner out, especially a young dude. Well, I imagine a young girl also-but you know what I mean.
armchair67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:19 PM   #5
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Welcome aboard. That certainly looks like a challenge. Follow Big hammers advice and stick to the plan. Tackle each project seperately and finish it before starting another. Again welcome !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #6
Bob Bidonde

Ben,

Get it running safely and keep it on the road as you restore it! Resist taking your Coupe all apart at once, but do it in steps so you can continue to drive it.

My Coupe was in poor condition when I bought it. If your Coupe was my project, I would take the following approach to a "driving restoration:"

1. Change all of the fluids and pump fresh grease into all of the fittings;

2. Get the engine running and tune it. Try driving the Coupe in your driveway to make an assessment of what needs doing to make the car run safely;

3. Restore the brakes;

4. Restore the suspension;

5. Install new tires & tubes;

6. Install major patch panels where the existing panels are rusted through;

7. Fix the door latches;

8. Install all new wire harnesses and get all of the electrical equipment working;

9. Install safety glass in the windshield and doors. Replace the quarter and rear windows if they are missing with safety glass. Try Vintage Glass in Tolland, Connecticut;

10. Install seat belts;

11. Fix the floor boards. Cover the seat springs with padding and a blanket;

12. Register and test drive the car. Fix whatever is necessary to make the Coupe a safe driver;

13. Scuff sand the exterior body to get off loose paint and rust flakes. Don't try for bare metal yet. Prime it with inexpensive Krylon and or Rustoleum rattle cans as preservative measure. Try Walmart for the primer rattle cans;

14. Restore one panel and or one fender at a time and coat them with a quality primer so you can continue to drive the car;

15. When the Coupe is restored to your satisfaction, paint it.

Do not take shortcuts with the brakes, suspension, tubes & tires.

As you take things apart, take lots of digital pictures of "before," "during" and "after." Write captions on each picture so you have notes about putting things back together again. I find PowerPoint is excellent for documenting pictures and making a restoration story. Also start a restoration task check list using MS Word. Make it 4 columns wide. Plan ahead for each task. Send me an email ([email protected]) and I will send my most recent check list to give you some ideas of what goes into a total restoration. You can cherry pick my list for your "driving restoration."

Keep an Excel file with separate worksheets of your expenses for Parts, Materials and Services.

Save the body work for the spring, summer and fall months. Do the running gear restorations in the winter when your car will not likely be driven. Work in a heated basement or garage during the winter.

Join a local Model A ford Club, and get to know any Model A parts dealer in your area. Massachusetts has several excellent and active Model A Ford clubs.

Send emails for some free parts catalogs. I highly recommend Bratton's, Snyder's and Tam's. Get to know the nearest Model A parts dealer which I think is Tam's.

The 45A & B Coupes are the 2nd most numerous of the Model A Fords built, and there is a lot of publications about them.

If your high school has an automotive shop, get chummy with the teacher and do some of restoration projects at the school.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited by Bob Bidonde; 12-06-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Bob Bidonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:00 AM   #7
Ken Ehrenhofer

Hi Ben,
Best advice is to join the Model A Restorers Club and then find a local region to join so you have local people you can go to for help. Model A people are friendly and helpful
To join MARC call 734-427-9050 during the week and they will tell you where your local region is located.
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #8
pgerhardt

I agree that joining a local club will reap a world of help. As far as where to start, I would start with getting some wood and casters and building a cart to hold the body. Once the body is off the frame it will become a much more manageable project. Frame and running gear first, then body, then reunite the two. (That is if you don't run across a better body first.)
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:52 PM   #9
BenLeBlanc

I plan on following the Tardell book quite a bunch, but will definitely be trying to find a local club. As for the body, it is rough, but on my budget I think I have to save it. Also, this is more of a learning deal here so panel repair will be great for me. Already speced out most of the body panels for a little more than two hundred dollars.
As for. Now, I will be taking parts off and restoring them in my woodroom as kinda mini projects and then I will assemble them when ready. I will take some time on this project, but cannot wait to see some progress!
Old 12-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #10
BenLeBlanc

Even though my "shop" is kinda wet and rainy right now, here are some interior photos. Tell me the thoughts you have, and give me some suggestions! I am the grasshopper right now at this...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-S...o/IMG_0178.JPG

And this is weird, because the other side is actually still connected, but is forward. Me being my first time would have to say that I need to mode the left side of the body forward about two inches...

Old 12-10-2014, 01:24 AM   #11
Brentwood Bob

Hope you can find a local club to join. The members will help you through your project, with location of needed parts and advice.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #12
BenLeBlanc

No Marc club around me, so pretty bummed. Hopefully can find some sort of club though.
http://youtu.be/JzR61y6B5SE
Old 12-11-2014, 02:30 PM   #13
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

The pictures suggest that you indeed have a challenge on your hands. A person to help that has been there so to speak will be the best Christmas present you can receive. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #14
DJ S

That's too bad your on the other side of the state! If I'm not mistaken, this was listed on craigslist a few weeks back. I wish you luck! You've defiantly got your work cut out for yourself.
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:54 PM   #15
Charles Coe

Benjamin, the Model A Ford Club of America website shows a club in Milford, MA. That's probably the closest one to you.
Charles Coe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:57 PM   #16
BenLeBlanc

Well, after going through some of your replies, it seems like I have a car that is a little far gone. Good thing I spent a good chunk of change on it lol.

I hope to separate the whole body tomorrow. Then I will have a lot more room to play with. I have speced out the metal for the panels and I have found that 200 bucks will get me pretty far on the body. I have had someone come over and help me assess it and he says that it has a couple positives such as the roof/ middle panel. He does say that the frame is rough though...
Old 12-11-2014, 06:17 PM   #17
Tom Wesenberg

I'm not a painter or bodyman, but I ask questions and learn as I go, so I can do my own work. My only real body patches was when I was 16 I bought the headlight caps for the front fenders of my 55 Chevy from Sears. I was amazed at how well they came out, and you couldn't see a sign of the patch. Your Model A will be a good learning experience, and each patch will be another improvement.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 01:36 AM   #18
Brentwood Bob

Don't get ahead of yourself and disassemble the whole car. take one thing, research it, take many pictures, and start a journal/log, and throw nothing away. document like you have never done before as you tackle each new item. You have a fairly complete car to start with. You might find some local help come spring. Start looking for someone with the same hobby near you. Maybe the parts houses can help if you have no luck. Also there are national rosters for the 2 national clubs that have listed members in your state. look up mafca, and marc, and join one or both for this network of model a ownwers. And you came to a good place to ask questions here.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:59 AM   #19
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default MARC Region near you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLeBlanc View Post
No Marc club around me, so pretty bummed. Hopefully can find some sort of club though.
http://youtu.be/JzR61y6B5SE
How close are these guys to you?
Google maps show they are about 23 miles away.

MINUTEMAN REGION
C/O JO JOHNSON
75 HAYNES RD
SUDBURY, MA 01776
978-440-8031

http://www.oilleak.org

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 12-12-2014 at 03:08 AM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:50 PM   #20
Bob C

Take a look at some of the work Flop has done, it will
give you some ideas of what is involved.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/search...archid=4712463

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote