Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-09-2019, 03:19 PM   #1
cobra5laddict

Default Help with a noisy Banjo rear end.

I have a 37 or 38 banjo rear in my 28 roadster with a closed drive / 39 trans. Everything is hearsay because i bought this car unfinished. The P.O simply stated that he installed a matched set 3.54 ring and pinion in the rear. The ratio appears correct not that it has anything to do with the howl I am experiencing. The rear is quiet under acceleration (running 140w gear oil). It howls under deceleration. The howl is the loudest when i fully let off and the engine is slowing the car to a stop sign. any speed from 20-30 mph on up howls) Up until now i've been shifting to neutral when slowing to keep things quieter (it still howls slightly but better).
Does anyone have any suggestions to look at first before i pull the rear out? Not that i have anything to go off of, but i'm doubting that this noise only on deceleration is because of incorrect gear mesh. im wondering if what i am hearing is the pinion walking in and out of the housing. I looked at a few diagrams and i'm thinking perhaps the jamb nuts on the pinion are not adjusted correctly or maybe loose?
I'm also new to closed drive units so i'm assuming that the torque tube would stay attached to the trans and i would unbolt the tube from the housing and disassemble that way, thoughts?
cobra5laddict is offline   Reply With Quote