Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-22-2021, 06:54 PM   #1
DJeffrey

Question Need help with 28-31 Carburetor ID

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forum and asking for some help. Our Model A Club Central Wisconsin Chapter just had our annual reunion and our 31' Victoria ran really rough and died twice on a tour, the experts got me going and figured it was a fuel issue gas tank or carburetor.

The tank was clean so I dug into the carburetor a Zenith 1, the inside looked like it was 90 years old! I tore it down gave it a glass bead blasting, cleaned all ports, parts, put in some new parts along with a paint job. I'm proud to say the car is running great after some adjustments made from reading some manuals.
Here is where I'm hoping you can help; I would like to have an extra carb for a spare and I was given a Zenith carburetor that turned out to be totally void of inside parts, along with two bottom cores and one top. I have them all in the first picture. I don't think I'll do anything with the Zenith but the other two intrigue me.
The one on the bottom left seems to be an early Holley, a H on the side, no threads for the brass secondary well, and possibly a double venturi but there is a hole instead of a pin. Could someone have drilled it out for a single venturi?
The one (top right in pic) has threads for secondary well and the holes are off set for the cap and main jet. There isn't a name on the bowl but it looks like it was ground off? Zenith?
The top core has no identifying marks on the outside but has numbers or letters on the inside. You can see them in picture no. 3.
Can the top be used on either one of the bottom cores? Interchangeable? There are absolutely no parts for the inside of these so I'll need to buy everything to build a spare carb.
Can a Holley top be found to match the bottom core I have and is the double venturi out of the question now because the pin is gone? Would it be worth trying to find Holley parts?
Where in your opinion would be the best place to purchase the parts I'm going to need to rebuild a carb?

All of this is new to me but I'm enjoying the journey. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image0.jpeg (120.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpeg image1.jpeg (121.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpeg image3.jpeg (121.0 KB, 50 views)
DJeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 09:18 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: Need help with 28-31 Carburetor ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJeffrey View Post
Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forum and asking for some help. Our Model A Club Central Wisconsin Chapter just had our annual reunion and our 31' Victoria ran really rough and died twice on a tour, the experts got me going and figured it was a fuel issue gas tank or carburetor.

The tank was clean so I dug into the carburetor a Zenith 1, the inside looked like it was 90 years old! I tore it down gave it a glass bead blasting, cleaned all ports, parts, put in some new parts along with a paint job. I'm proud to say the car is running great after some adjustments made from reading some manuals.
Here is where I'm hoping you can help; I would like to have an extra carb for a spare and I was given a Zenith carburetor that turned out to be totally void of inside parts, along with two bottom cores and one top. I have them all in the first picture. I don't think I'll do anything with the Zenith but the other two intrigue me.
The one on the bottom left seems to be an early Holley, a H on the side, no threads for the brass secondary well, and possibly a double venturi but there is a hole instead of a pin. Could someone have drilled it out for a single venturi?
The one (top right in pic) has threads for secondary well and the holes are off set for the cap and main jet. There isn't a name on the bowl but it looks like it was ground off? Zenith?
The top core has no identifying marks on the outside but has numbers or letters on the inside. You can see them in picture no. 3.
Can the top be used on either one of the bottom cores? Interchangeable? There are absolutely no parts for the inside of these so I'll need to buy everything to build a spare carb.
Can a Holley top be found to match the bottom core I have and is the double venturi out of the question now because the pin is gone? Would it be worth trying to find Holley parts?
Where in your opinion would be the best place to purchase the parts I'm going to need to rebuild a carb?

All of this is new to me but I'm enjoying the journey. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
yes they are interchangable
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carbs.jpg (72.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg All 1930 A;s.JPG (108.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 08-22-2021, 09:19 PM   #3
Gary WA

http://www.model-a.org/
Old 08-22-2021, 09:20 PM   #4
Gary WA

http://jmodela.coffeecup.com/carbs.html
Old 08-22-2021, 09:21 PM   #5
Gary WA

Thanks to suppliers of the above websites on carbs.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:25 PM   #6
Gary WA

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Double Venturi can be re done! Parts are available, but all jets should be flow tested!
Old 08-22-2021, 09:28 PM   #7
Gary WA

http://www.rennerscorner.com/index.html or any of the Model a Vendors- Berts, Brattons,etc. but the jets need to be checked. Except Renners are good to go!
Old 08-23-2021, 08:18 AM   #8
DJeffrey

Thanks Gary for the quick replies and information it should keep me busy for a while!
DJeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote