Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-11-2021, 04:23 PM   #1
Seabees

Default '32 BB wiring diagram

Howdy boys, where can I find a "GOOD" wiring diagram for a BB truck, 4 cyl? I assume they are the same for the cars. The June '32 bulletins has a diagram, but it is lacking in some detail (Bat. cable to starter for one). Thanks for the help!
Seabees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 04:53 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: '32 BB wiring diagram

What sort of detail are you seeking? Both the early (starter switch on starter motor) and late (starter switch attached to the steering gear box) diagrams in the Service Bulletins depict the battery to switch cable (they are very different in length). Your assumption about the BB and B wiring being the same is correct except for the lamp wiring harness which for the BB has much longer wires leading to the tail lamp due to the truck's longer wheelbase.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 05:27 PM   #3
Seabees

Howdy David. Looking at the service bulletin, it does show a wire to the starter from the battery, then it proceeds to the ammeter. This wire must be smaller in size than the one going to the starter I assume. Maybe it splits off of the battery cable? Or a separate wire? This is what is confusing to me. I have a wiring harness being manufactured by Tyree, but at this point I am just trying to wire the engine so I can start it and run it around the field to test things. The body is not on the frame. Also, the coil wiring is a bit confusing. I assume, again, that the wire from the battery goes to the - side of the ammeter, then from the + side of the ammeter to the ign. switch, then to the - side of the coil. This is where I get lost. The diagram shows the coil going to ground. And the high tension wire uh.... confused again. It would be less confusing if it showed the wiring of the coil to each terminal. I know, pain in the ass, but I want to get it right. Thank you sir. Send me a PM if you'd like, and I'll call you.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:22 PM   #4
DavidG

I'd be happy to try and help, but we need to be on the same page, so to speak. Where is your starter switch located, on the starter motor or on the steering gear box? It makes a difference for the rest of the wiring.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:43 PM   #5
51 MERC-CT

A '32 BB diagram that may help. Ok sorry for posting wrong one.

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 07-11-2021 at 07:33 PM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:22 PM   #6
DavidG

That's the early version with the starter switch attached to the starter motor. The later version uses the same starter switch as the V8 (mounted on the steering gear box). It makes a difference for what Seabees is trying to do.
Old 07-11-2021, 08:48 PM   #7
Seabees

There was no switch on the starter, or the steering gear box when I got the truck. Looks like it had a push button on the fire wall for that purpose. The serial number puts it built in Jan/Feb '32, so it's an early one. The ignition switch has a mount for the starting cable, but the cable is long gone. This truck has been an adventure in learning, to say the least! I know Model A's quite well, '32's, eh... not so much. But I'm learning, thanks to the Barn! Your help is much appreciated!
Old 07-11-2021, 08:53 PM   #8
koates

Regarding the ignition coil drawn in the circuit. The lower winding (smaller one) is the primary and has two connections,, one going to the ignition switch for power and the other going to the distributor contacts which are shown as a circuit breaker in the drawing. These two primary coil connections are the two small threaded terminals on your coil. The top coil (larger one) in the circuit drawing is the secondary winding with the high tension cable going to the distributor and then the spark plugs. The other end of that winding is shown going to a ground connection which is actually an internal connection within the coil casing and is not an external connection of the coil so you dont have to worry about it. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 09:48 PM   #9
Seabees

OK, thanks Kevin, that is making more sense now. The way it is drawn is a little confusing, for me anyway. It looks as though it is basically wired the same as a Model A, except it has no terminal box, and the coil is after the ign. switch. OK, got it, I think! Thanks guys, I'll send a video if I burn it up!
Old 07-11-2021, 10:33 PM   #10
DavidG

Long story, but once the decision was made to forge ahead with a V8 engine offering, Job #1 wasn't until March 10, 1932 and virtually no four-cylinder vehicles were produced until well into April. Four-cylinder engine production began in late November, 1931 so that by the time one of them was installed in a vehicle chassis more than 40,000 of them had been produced and warehoused. (Imagine the amount of warehouse space 40,000 engine/transmission assemblies would occupy.) So, it was your engine/transmission that was manufactured in January or February, 1932, not the truck itself. It gets complicated as there is no surviving record of vehicle build dates and there is evidence that those 40,000 B motors did not leave their warehouse in a first-in, first out sequence.

Notwithstanding, your truck is likely a fairly early version which means that originally the starter switch was mounted on the starter motor and was operated via a Bowden cable control attached to the left side of the steering column support bracket. The heavy cable from the negative post on the battery attached to the starter switch and a much smaller gauge fabric-covered wire from the main wiring harness is attached at that point as well feeding the rest of the vehicles electrical system consistent with the wiring diagram in the Service Bulletin, including the color coding of the wires. All that shows up pretty well in the two photos below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg misc. 136.jpg (76.7 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg Book photos 334.jpg (124.5 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by DavidG; 07-11-2021 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-12-2021, 03:11 AM   #11
mercman from oz

Neat 1932 Ford Four Cylinder Engine.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:15 AM   #12
Seabees

AH HA! I knew someone would have the picture I've been looking for! Thanks guys! DavidG, thanks again for your input. Just a note, the serial number on the frame and engine are the same, and according to what I have read (can't remember where I read it), the engine (or frame, again, don't remember which is which), was built in Jan, the other, in Feb. I have learned over the last 35+ years of playing with Model A's, that nothing seems to be set in stone, seems the same thing here. Thanks again for all your help!
Old 07-12-2021, 11:08 AM   #13
DavidG

The engine, yes, but not the truck itself. as no '32 ford production vehicles were built prior to March 10th and then only V8 passenger cars until April.
Old 07-18-2021, 09:24 AM   #14
Seabees

OK DavidG, I'll make that note. Where can I find this kind of info? Thanks!
Old 07-18-2021, 10:26 AM   #15
DavidG

All of this can be found within the 600 plus pages of the Early Ford V8 Club's two-volume book, "The 1932 Ford Book, A Production Chronicle and Restoration Guide", available on the Club's website (earlyfordv8.org) online store.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:02 PM   #16
sugarmaker

David,
Thanks for the reminder on the books! Just ordered the pair!
Nice details on that engine!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote