Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-18-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
SGT in Ont.

Default Clutch Thrust Bearing Hub

Is there a difference for the clutch bearing hub between the Model A and AA. None of the parts suppliers list one for the AA, just the A.
SGT in Ont. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
SGT in Ont.

Default Re: Clutch Thrust Bearing Hub

Thanks Don. Just what is the difference I should be looking for.
SGT in Ont. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

The AA clutch release bearing hub is much shorter, to go along with the shorter AA bellhousing.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
Jim Parker Toronto

Does anyone have any pictures, I am really interested....TIA
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
Jim Parker Toronto

Instead of a photo, I know how inconvienent that can be, maybe just a measurement. The regular one, for the A is 2 7/8". Do you know how long the AA one is? TIA, Jim
Old 12-18-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
MAG

Picture of AA Throw Out Bearing and Collar. Used in the installation of F150 4 speed w/OD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Throw Out Spring 2.jpg (93.1 KB, 35 views)
Old 12-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #7
Jim Parker Toronto

Mag, thank you very much, that is exactly what I am doing and am looking for! Just curious, why did sleeve the entire shaft, instead of just the hub, and is that a Model A type bearing, or something else? Thanks for your help!
Old 12-19-2010, 08:00 AM   #8
kenparker

Jim, The AA Throwout hub will work beautifully in your 150 conversion, BUT, the Hub from a Flathead V-8 Transmission will work even better. The V8 Hub gives you a tiny bit more tension on the return spring. Model A and AA Trrowout Bearings are teh same.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
Jim Parker Toronto

Ken, thanks for your reply. One of my concerns is that the A/AA hub-bearing assembly gives you very little "touch" on the T-bird pressure plate. The ID on the throwout bearing is just a little smaller than the ID of the fingers of the pressure plate. With the V8 hub, does the throwout bearing have a smaller ID so that it would make more coverage on the fingers of the diaphram? I am getting really close to having this done am feel like a kid in a candy store! Everyone says that this is an awesome conversion and no one in my area or club has one, so there is no one close to ask. Thanks Bill Gates for making the world smaller.....
Old 12-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #10
MAG

Jim, I cut the collar off a Model A throwout collar and slipped it over the F150 collar and welded it in place. I had to mill the outside flange of the F150 Throw Out collar slightly so that it would fit into the AA Bellhousing. Perhaps Ken's idea about the V8 Collar might work as well or better. I used a Model A Pressure Plate Assembly and a "49 Ford (?) Clutch Disk. It all works fine.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #11
kenparker

He are an A and a AA throwout bearing Collar side by side. I do not have a V8 collar to photograph. The V8 Collar is the same length and dia. as the AA only the "loop" that holds the spring is in a different place - but works better.

I have been building these conversions since 1998 and have never until this yer bothered to put any of it on camera. Having a ball doing it.

Jim, by sliding an A Collar Sleeve (the part that the collar slides on) over the same part of the F150 Sleeve you can then use a AA or a V8 Throwout Bearing and collar. The A throwout bearing is larger in diameter than the F150 throwout bearing and may fit your pressure plate better. I clean the sleeves throughly - A and F150 - Smear JB weld on the outside of the F15o and inside of the A, then slide one over the other. Sometimes it takes some persuation but will fit. After JB Weld is set i cut to length on my lathe. Clear as mud?????

Some minor grinding can be done on the Fork that operates the TO Bearing and you can gain some clearance between TO and Pressure Plate. Otherwise you will have almost no free play on the Clutch Pedal. I am working on photos of this. ken
Old 12-19-2010, 06:57 PM   #12
kenparker

oops forgot pix
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A&AA throwout collar.jpg (82.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 12-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #13
Jim Parker Toronto

Thanks for the pic's Ken, they explain a lot. I have an AA throw out hub coming from Berts, but I am going to try and get a V8 one as well. I like to check out all the options before I decide whats best for me. I also used a bell housing from Mac's Speed in New Zealand, and it took as much machine work to bring it to a useable standard for my car than if I stayed with the AA bell housing. The only real difference is the fact that there is no machine work on the front of 150 transmission, and the bell will bolt directly to the transmission, so no drilling and tapping. Saved a few bucks on one end, and spent more somewhere else. Good thing I got the tranny for $90 or I would be in the hole for more. Thank you very much for your help Ken, next time I will just buy one from you and save all the nonsense for an other part of the car! Your units are looking better all the time, and unless I was good friends with a machine shop and had some mechanical ability myself, I'd be the hole for a lot more than you charge for a complete unit, ready to go. Merry Christmas to All.... Jim