Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-24-2011, 06:39 AM   #1
Tom Wesenberg

Default Twolite Headlights on Ford and Dodge?

I know the Dodge brothers were making many parts for the early Fords, but I thought Ford quit buying from Dodge by the time the Model A's were built.

Yesterday I was at my retired pastor's house picking up an old snowblower he gave me. He opened the garage door to show me his 1928 Dodge 4 door sedan, which is in good unrestored condition. The first thing I noticed was the TWOLITE markings on the headlight lens and the identical pattern in the glass that the Model A TWOLITE lens has. At first I though someone had installed Model A headlights because the tops of the buckets also said "TWOLITE". But, on close inspection the rear of the buckets had a very slight teardrop shape where the adjustment screw is located. The Model A is more truely a half sphere shape.

So, what I'm wondering is did Dodge make the lights for Ford, or did Ford make the lights for Dodge, or did some outside company make the lights for both? Did any other car makers use TWOLIGHT headlights? Thanks for any insight on this.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:18 AM   #2
Glen in Hillman MI

Default Re: Twolite Headlights on Ford and Dodge?

I had a 1926 Dogde Brothers and they put the DB logo on most of all the parts, even the headlight lens.
Glen in Hillman MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:32 AM   #3
sturgis 39

Hi Tom

My friend is not a preacher but he has a untouched 29 Plymouth two door sedan. It has Twolight Headlights too. They look a little different than Model "A" headlights. I was surprised too. The car has the four cylinder engine, a gas tanks like a 32 Ford and a Kingston vacuum canister fuel pump. The vacuum is from the oil pump for the fuel pump but the vacuum windshield wiper is from the intake manifold. The cubic inches of the motor is like a 183. The car is heavy compared to a model "A". I guess the vacuum for the fuel pump used from the oil pump because the car would run out of gas at wide open throttle. A stock model "A" will out run the Plymouth . The Plymouth has hydraulic brakes. The door handles on the inside are fancier than Fords but they will interchange. The Plymouth has a manifold heater. The Plymouth has an open drive shaft but the transmission from the bottom looks similar to a Model "A".

My friend has had a lot of high dollar cars but I think he has had more fun with this old Plymouth than he has with with his high dollar cars.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.

Last edited by sturgis 39; 09-24-2011 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Major rewrite, spelling corrections and grammer corrections less than 20 minutes of work.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:34 AM   #4
Special Coupe Frank

How are the headlites finished ( Nickel, Chrome, paint ?)

If there is no "Ford" script on anything, then they might be authentic DB equipment.

My bet is that Ford bought their headlights and taillights from another jobber, as they did with carburetors...

In 1928, I believe Dodge Brothers was still in the hands of the investment brokers that purchased the company after the deaths of John & Horace Dodge in 1920.

I don't think Chrysler acquired DB until 1929, at which point they would have started using the same trimmings as other Chrysler brands ( De Soto, Plymouth ).
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote