Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2019, 07:33 PM   #41
Kube

Default Re: tesla Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desoto291Hemi View Post
The best part is how the windows held up to the test,,,,,Not!

Musk is like a modern day PT Barnum.

There is a sucker born every minute!

Also,,,that design is so ugly and bad,,,I can’t look at it.

Tommy
Just for the record Tommy... P.T. Barnum never said that.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:40 PM   #42
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
51 Merc....I actually got a laugh out of your picture. But here's the real deal....a '49 Merc "Icon" DERELICT, engineered and built in the shops of Jonathan Ward...a 470 ft. lb. electric powered, totally built from scratch modern-type chassis, suspension and running gear, and a completely re-engineered dash board and interior in keeping with the look and feel of the original late '40s time frame. Ward has an entire shop and staff turning these nostalgic, updated "sleepers" out the door, with customers standing in line to spend DEEP into six-figure territory to have their "Icon-ic" rides transformed. The first link tells the story behind this Merc. The second link is a video detailing another of Wards phenomenal "Derelict" transformations...a '50 Buick convertible... that has been modernized to the nth degree, sans the nifty paint and chrome. Third link is a '46 Olds they did that is just WAY over the top! Enjoy...DD

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/i...r-first-drive/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO4866ReXBs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwh8KbH0sPA

Thanks for the links.
I have been aware of the '49 Merc. for it seems like a couple of years now and have given some thought to marrying my '51's body to Tesla components but at this point it's just a dream.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:50 PM   #43
RalphM

What a POS!
Wouldn’t be caught dead in one of those.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:02 PM   #44
TJ

Those electric vehicles could not be produced without energy from sources like coal, natural gas, petroleum products, etc. If Musk didn't get government subsidies he would be out of business. He's been riding on our dime for too long and we should not be giving incentives(tax money) to buy electric vehicles.
TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:28 PM   #45
34fordy

Butt ugly for sure. My Grampa was a dray line man driving horses to make deliveries in his father's business in Cedar Falls, Iowa in the 1880s. I can only imagine their discust when Henry Ford put Model T cars on "his" roads. Grampa died in 1953, almost 90 and never bought a car. He became an engineer on the Illinois Central railroad. In 1952 my dad bought our first car, a 48 Plymouth. We took Gramma and Grampa for a ride. I was only 7 but I remember neither one was impressed. The future is coming whether we like the looks or not. To me, none of the cars Ford made after 1934 are beautiful to me. I am sure the guys with later models feel their cars are beautiful. And that is why the young generation will acclimate to these futuristic designs. It may not seem like progress but it is coming folks!
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:04 PM   #46
Bob T

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Pathetic. I'm amazed they had the guts to show a design as bad as that. As far as electric..... no thanks
Bob T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:29 PM   #47
mhsprecher

Tubman, I will try my truck with a trailer. I looked at the specs in the owner’s manual and it seemed that I could tow a Model A. I guess as I get older I worry about safety a bit more than I once did.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 12:17 AM   #48
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
I was really interested in electric conversions a few years back. They are fairly simple, not that expensive and the information and parts are available, until you get to the batteries!!!
Just could not find a good alternative, there are weight, size or cost issues. Gave up on the whole idea. It can be done if you can overcome the battery issue.
Forward thinking as technology gets better, same as in 32 when Ford introduced the Flat head V8. I have several ideas that have been floating around in my head for a number of years regarding electric powered vehicles. Here's one idea: Supposing one didn't have to totally rely on a recharging station, but rather had a small Briggs and Stratton type engine that would automatically start and recharge your battery enroute as needed. Supposing if this option were avalaible the battery capacity/weght/cost could be reduced to propel the vehicle and the engine could power a generator to accomplish this. This technology already exists. I'm sure many of you have a generator already. Do away with most of the fancy electronics. We already have deep cycle marine batteries that are rechargeable over and over again. In this scenario one could potentially have a vehicle that gets incredible milage.I remember clearly when I was a kid we could fill up the homebuilt minibike for a quarter and ride all day. That was when my Dad wouldn't buy gas if it was over 30 cents/ gallon. I have other ideas if anyone is interested in reading them.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 01:22 AM   #49
dumb person

It has the same problem all modern 'pickups' have. Nobody can reach something in the tray. They're either 5 feet or more off the ground or the sides are 7 feet tall. How does anyone get something from the tool-box near the cab without a stepladder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
2019 vette=80K, pickup next to it was also 80K. Rediculous
JMO

Paul in CT
The way i see it, the only people who buy those are doing it with company money as a tax write-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
new fangled pickups, i always say if nobody bought em, they would quit maken em.
True!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandtired View Post
Had my F-250 for 17 years. No floor mats, no power locks or windows, vinyl seat. Replaced the battery a couple of times and the fuel pump after 16 years. I did add cruise control to it. The truck I replaced it with actually annoys me with all of the electronic "stuff."
I was treated to a 30 minute or so hard sell effort by the guy who handles the paperwork trying to get me to buy an extended warranty because of all the electronics on the vehicle, "and they do go out."Basically what he did was spend half an hour telling me how unreliable their product was.
I'm not sure how car companies can live with themselves when they know the electronic parts are so rubbish. Someone i know has a 2018 exploder, or whatever replaced the exploder, and a minor parking dent broke a $4000 radar something-or-other. Not logical to make anything like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
I look at that thing and my first reaction is to think they are pulling our leg. They can't be serious.
I can't decide if it's a film prop or serious.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:27 AM   #50
Desoto291Hemi

Sorry Kube,
I should have stated that it was told he coined the phrase.
There is no direct evidence of him saying that,,,just that it was attributed to him.
However,,,if you look at his start and how he ran his business,,,,entertainment,,,,all through his life,,,you can see how that could have easily happened.

But,,, the Tesla truck seems like something Musk and his people threw together,, quick and dirty,,,just to get press . Look at the ATV riding into the bed,, how the truck moves.
A poor prototype at best,,,but I’m sure he will get it better.
The part I thought was stupid was how the windows failed.

You would think someone there had done a pre test to be certain that the glass worked correctly.

Tommy
Desoto291Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:45 AM   #51
KGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
It looks like an assault truck.

That's because it was designed by the same guy that designed it's

older cousin...

KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:41 AM   #52
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
You, like the rest of the folks will start to call it a truck if that's what tesla calls it. Just think of all the station wagons on the road that folks call SUV's. Cut the crap marketing department, they are station wagons.
Sport Utility Vehicles? Really? I suppose for the millions of moms that won't drive a "wagon" it's one way to sell them one... just convince them it's "sporty".
Ya can put a dress on a pig - it's still a pig.
I'm not a fan of the truck, but it does appear to have a bed. It appears to be more useful than I first expected, but I think I'll stick with the gas vehicles instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNlhcLYcr2I
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:45 AM   #53
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by qickkenny View Post
I agree with Tinker, Ford needs to build a work truck for people who can afford it !
i wish they would make a small truck, like the Ranger used to be

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:46 AM   #54
Bob NH

Well, according to today's news reports, orders are in for 150,000 of them so far ! Must be someone likes them ? Something like my lady friend said about ESSO years ago,"Every Sucker Stops Once" !
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:14 AM   #55
34fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
i wish they would make a small truck, like the Ranger used to be
Our son has a 98 Ranger V6 4x4 with 240,000+ miles-Never had a wrench on it yet, dry as dust underneath, and runs like new! Why in the world would they stop making a people pleaser like that? Was it too good?

Last edited by 34fordy; 11-24-2019 at 10:15 AM. Reason: spelling
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:00 AM   #56
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The Ford Ranger is back in production.

Ford has invested $850 million in Michigan Assembly to retool the plant to build the all-new Ford Ranger and future Ford Bronco
2019 Ford Ranger is part of an onslaught of new vehicles coming between 2018 and 2020, when the company aims to replace 75 percent of its U.S. portfolio
WAYNE, Mich., Oct. 22, 2018 – When many of Michigan Assembly Plant’s 3,000 workers gather today at the plant, they will be celebrating a rebirth in more ways than one.

“Ford truck fans demanded a midsize pickup that’s ‘Built Ford Tough,’ and we’re delivering with our all-new Ranger that’s specially designed and engineered for American truck customers,” said Joe Hinrichs, Ford’s president of global operations. “At the same time, we’re revitalizing our Michigan Assembly Plant and securing good-paying jobs for our hourly employees here in the U.S.”
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:24 AM   #57
5851a

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXFHgoon7lg I just want one of those tow straps.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:32 AM   #58
RalphM

Watched the video of it, had to laugh!
Reporter says “ it’s so roomy inside because they didn’t have to worry about putting things like paint on it “
ROFLMAO!
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:48 AM   #59
History

We ordered a Prius just before the gas went insane, 2008 I think. We waited and waited and waited for it to come in so I called corporate Toyota and WOW, got a call from the dealer that our car had came in. The associate we dealt with told us that we wouldn't have received our car if we hadn't called corporate. They were selling for more than sticker price because gas prices had risen so much. The owner of that dealership was in statesville nc, the owner (in 2008) seems to be a very dishonest, greedy person.

Anyway,,,,,,, the car was the ugliest car I've ever owned BUT,,,, I loved driving that car, had lots of room (inside is considered mid size) and a shit ton of power. Torque!!!!!! On take off was awesome. You didn't have to setup for passing other cars, you just floored it and it went. I once drove it to Boone NC and took all the back roads, four passengers and I averaged 54.8 mpg. I did drive it like I was trying to conserve every drop of gas, easing on and off the throttle. Wife averaged around 46mpg . We sold it because my wife hated the way it looked but it's still going strong and battery is still working great.

I think electric is great and those of you who haven't felt it's power, I believe would be impressed with it.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't politics because I'm on the wrong side of electric cars politically but they are interesting to me and as far as being practical may be the way of the future. Easy on the eyes is another story. Oh and no cast iron to have welded.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:50 AM   #60
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
The Ford Ranger is back in production.

Ford has invested $850 million in Michigan Assembly to retool the plant to build the all-new Ford Ranger and future Ford Bronco
2019 Ford Ranger is part of an onslaught of new vehicles coming between 2018 and 2020, when the company aims to replace 75 percent of its U.S. portfolio
WAYNE, Mich., Oct. 22, 2018 – When many of Michigan Assembly Plant’s 3,000 workers gather today at the plant, they will be celebrating a rebirth in more ways than one.

“Ford truck fans demanded a midsize pickup that’s ‘Built Ford Tough,’ and we’re delivering with our all-new Ranger that’s specially designed and engineered for American truck customers,” said Joe Hinrichs, Ford’s president of global operations. “At the same time, we’re revitalizing our Michigan Assembly Plant and securing good-paying jobs for our hourly employees here in the U.S.”
Unfortunately from what I have seen of this 'new' Ranger, it resembles the old two passenger bare boned pickup that many liked in name only.