Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
dixiedelux

Default Feasibility Study: 42 LZ OD into 40 Ford

I would like to open a discussion about the feasibility of 42 Lincoln Zepher Over Drive transmission swapped into a 40 Ford. Not just a traditional gear swap; I need my car to be overdriven. Has any one ever done, participated, or have knowledge of such a a swap. The initial information that I have is that a LZ tranny is longer than a ford.
Richard
dixiedelux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
SUHRsc

Default Re: Feasibility Study: 42 LZ OD into 40 Ford

You'll likely have to do a good bit of cutting to make it fit.

I have a '36 frame that had one in. They cut the whole center out of the X-member and put a huge piece of Channel from one frame rail to the other to support it.

I have plans to install one in my '35 Ford. Looks like it will be a challenge to make everything work nicely.

I wouldn't think its something you can tackle easily without just working with a bare frame.(no body)
77-6050B, 81AS - 81SB - 99AS - 99SB 19AS cylinder heads
SUHRsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
dixiedelux

Thank Ya' Zach,
All of that cutting does not interest me. Besides the body has already been off the frame; wanna' leave it there. I guess i'll stick with my early plans: 32 inch tall rear tires! LOL!
DixieD
Old 09-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
SUHRsc

A Mitchel might be a good option if you don;t care about originality when laying underneath it.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Look at the protruding solenoid on the OD, then crawl under your car and look at the corresponding area on your chassis...it can be identified easily because shifter stuff on the Lincoln is in the same place. Looks to me like installation on any V8 Ford would be a complete horrorshow! I would love to do this swap, too, but it looks to me like it would take out way to much of the original car. Has anyone ever actually done this on a '32 or a '42-8? It would be interesting to see an actual adaptation.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
dixiedelux

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUHRsc View Post
A Mitchel might be a good option if you don;t care about originality when laying underneath it.
Zach,
How Ironic! I found a post of yours over on the HAMB about Mitchell Overdrives, YOu stated that nothing looks as good as a stock banjo rear. I agree! I wasn't kiddin' about the tall tires. I want an exaggerated big n' little look. Hopefully that will show the stock banjo. Also there is concern about the Mitchell's hitting n bumps; maybe the high rear will alleviate that. I can life with the lack of originallity from underneath. My build will be far from an accurate resto, more like a likley 50's High School build.
DixieD

Last edited by dixiedelux; 09-05-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
dixiedelux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
Look at the protruding solenoid on the OD, then crawl under your car and look at the corresponding area on your chassis...it can be identified easily because shifter stuff on the Lincoln is in the same place. Looks to me like installation on any V8 Ford would be a complete horrorshow! I would love to do this swap, too, but it looks to me like it would take out way to much of the original car. Has anyone ever actually done this on a '32 or a '42-8? It would be interesting to see an actual adaptation.
Yeah Bruce, Thanks! I like to keep things simple. I don't like horror shows. I guess there is a reason this has not been a popular swap.
Richard

Last edited by dixiedelux; 09-05-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

It would be great if it could be done without too much savagery. I would love to know if anyone has done it in an early V8...it is difficult to be sure exactly where the slanted solenoid would pass through that neighborhood. My trans might well end up in a Model A, where there's a lot more air between the rails!
Old 09-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
dixiedelux

Well, you got one and just have to use it, Huh? Well good luck with the model A project, Bruce.
DixieDelux
Old 09-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #10
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

I now have 627 years worth of projects in my head...
Old 09-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
42merc

Two years ago I installed a Lincoln OD in my '40 cpe. You have to gut the cross member about like a T5 install, a little trimming here and there & take 13 inches out of the driveshaft & torque tube. I did not do a "butcher job". All this can be done with the body on. If one is not reasonably handy, you better stay in the truck.
The single best thing I've done on this car.
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #12
Bassman/NZ

A Mitchell is the easiest way to get o/d. 32" tall tires may or may not have fender clearance problems. I presume you're talking about 8.20x16s? Can you borrow a pair to check it out?
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #13
SUHRsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42merc View Post
Two years ago I installed a Lincoln OD in my '40 cpe. You have to gut the cross member about like a T5 install, a little trimming here and there & take 13 inches out of the driveshaft & torque tube. I did not do a "butcher job". All this can be done with the body on. If one is not reasonably handy, you better stay in the truck.
Great to hear!
Can you show any photos of the final product?

thanks!
Zach
Old 09-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #14
dixiedelux

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42merc View Post
I bet you have a unique coupe that gives an enjoyable driving experience. Can you tell us more particulars. I presume the transmisson is a direct bolt up to the bellhousing. How is the flathead built and what gear rear end. Thanks very much for sharing your experience. YOur direct experience and observation will probably keep me "in the truck". Pictures would be great. Richard
Old 09-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #15
dixiedelux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman/NZ View Post
A Mitchell is the easiest way to get o/d. 32" tall tires may or may not have fender clearance problems. I presume you're talking about 8.20x16s? Can you borrow a pair to check it out?
Yes the mitchell seems to appeal to me. I should have more accuratley stated 30 inch plus tires. YOu are right, I am not sure if my 40 will accomadate the 8.20's. Richard
Old 09-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #16
Fred A

Did that install in '63 while the Zephyr OD was common in junk yards. The LZ trans is about 11 inches longer than a Ford 3spd. and occupies the same space as the box in the center of the X member. Eliminated the governor and ran a cable operated replacement for the solenoid for a couple of years then modified the box for an electric solenoid. The Ford driveline was shortened by Cannon Eng. in Burbank. Probably too much work for those not motivated. Mitchell will not build an overdrive for the Business Coupe because of the floor. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #17
dixiedelux

Thanks Fred,
Still got the car? LOL! Probably too much work for me, for sure sometimes I am among the unmotivated. sometimes Motivation and Energy are rare commodities! I have 2 door sedan, in case I go with Mitchell. RR
Old 09-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #18
42merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedelux View Post
I bet you have a unique coupe that gives an enjoyable driving experience. Can you tell us more particulars. I presume the transmisson is a direct bolt up to the bellhousing. How is the flathead built and what gear rear end. Thanks very much for sharing your experience. YOur direct experience and observation will probably keep me "in the truck". Pictures would be great. Richard
I have a Mercury wagon with a Columbia in it . I would think a Mitchel OD to be similar, both good units. But the Borg Warner electric OD allows more flexibility and easier use, IMO.
The '40 is a standard coupe, that I revived after a 35 year sleep. That was 3 years ago. I refreshed the undercarriage and put in a stock '50 Merc the first year, The second year I put in the Lincoln OD and a Mac's interior kit. This last winter I put in a built '50 Merc that was left from another project. As it stands it has a 40 year old enamel repaint with scratches and dirt in the finish, 4" axle, unsplit wishbone, F -100 brakes on the front, 165-80x15 front 225-75x15 rear tires, 3:78 gear with safety hubs. Many details not mentioned.
This winters deal will replace the present flathead with a milder flathead and 26 tooth Zephers. Say what you want about the gears, but I've run them before & I love them. Gets rid of the short first gear.
Pictures, the ones I have are too dark to share, I'll try to do better.
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #19
nbrskn

I put an OD from a 1968 F 150 in my 46 behind a 50 Merc engine. Used a 1949 Ford bellhousing. Had the front shaft shortened and the hole for front bearing made larger . bearing is larger. Local welding and fab shop made new frame rails. was pretty wild setting up the cllutch linkage. Used swing pedals from 1969 F 150.

I am more like DixieD . high school era.
nbrskn is offline   Reply With Quote