Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-20-2016, 02:55 PM   #21
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Model T verses Model A - why own a Model T ? ? ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
Getting 6'2" 250 lbs squeezed into one is another challenge.

Hmmmm, I sure don't feel that is a problem in my Ts (as evidenced by the pictures below). I feel like I have plenty of room. Matter of fact, I am more comfortable driving a T than an A, and I am about your same size. Folks often forget that you ride in a Model-A, and you ride on a Model-T.

Also, when we can safely do so, I will drive my Ts at about 45-48 MPH on the open road. There are MANY folks on here that have Model-As that struggle to do this! My Ts all have a modern camshaft, a high compression head, and they are stock-appearing, and due to the power to weight ratio, they can run right beside a Model-A. And even with 2-wheel Rocky Mtn brakes, I can even stop just as quick as many as Model-As out there with their worn-out 4-wheel brakes!!

Another thing I often hear and kinda think it is funny is, you will hear Model-A people in their 60s & 70s who no longer do overnight club tours because they say they are getting too old to participate however there are many 70-80 y.o. Model-T owners who will put their Ts on/in a trailer and transport them half-way across the country to tour for 5 long days in the July heat ....and without A/C in their Model-T. When you think about all of this in this light, kinda makes you want to scratch your head and ponder a bit more, huh??

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pix1.jpg (50.5 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Pix2.jpg (65.4 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Pix3.jpg (41.5 KB, 81 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:52 PM   #22
CarlG

My pickup gets called a "Model T" a lot of the time anyway.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:08 PM   #23
Marshall V. Daut

Part of the experience owning a Model T is listening to some sidewalk commando explaining to you why your restored 1926 Channel Green Coupe with factory wire wheels is actually a Model A, not a Model T. He knows this because all Model T's were black and had wooden spoke wheels. His third grade teacher had told him so. Showing him the three pedals in the driver's compartment does no good. His explanation? Someone must have put a Model T transmission in my Model A.
And these Einsteins vote and reproduce.
Marshall

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 12-20-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:27 PM   #24
al's28/33

I have an "A" and an early V8....so I would love to have an earlier Ford, perhaps a "T" Roadster someday....
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:42 PM   #25
DougVieyra

Marshall, Post # 22: "And these Einsteins vote and reproduce."

Oh, how sad it is to have to say Marshall, you are sooo right !
-------------------------

I have had a goodly number of pre- 1935 cars in my years as a car thief. And sadly, it has always been the shortage of storage space that has caused me let go of any of them. It seems I am not alone in this universal injustice. Oh, how I envy you guy who have those huge storage spaces.

Like so many of us, I too have only a double car garage. Through a well-thought out plan of sniveling, I have secured the garage for my two Model A Fords - leaving my 'New" 1969 VW and my wife's 'New' 2000 Nissan Maxima OUT in the cold and wet of the 'Great Out Doors' !

But, had I the inside storage space, I most definitely would have a '15 Brass Touring Car. I say '15 ('16) because it is the cheapest of the brass radiator cars; and I do like the looks of the Brass radiator.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:07 PM   #26
RUNNERBUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
They are chalk a cheese to drive?
Sorry if you Americans don't understand our Lingo "Lingo=Language" Chalk and cheese is a common saying here in Aust. It means they are as different as Cheese is to Chalk.
Yes, we all speak English just a slightly different variety.
Runner
Old 12-21-2016, 01:23 AM   #27
Dodge

I agree with everything Brent said. My Center Door Sedan has a "hot" motor in it and
will go 55mph, my T Speedster will run circles around a Model A, just once I opened it up
and went 85mph on the GPS. My touring is bone stock with the cast iron pistons and
is wonderful driving experience it is real nice 25-35. It will go 40-45 but I don't usually run
it there. Those cast iron piston motors pull real strong on the lower end.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:34 AM   #28
redmodelt

Biggest reason I can think of is "COST"! Cost to restore, cost to buy. A very nice T (black era) can be gotten for under $10,000 with many in the $7000-8000 or even under that. Plus they are fun to drive! On club tours, we try to pick roads that are low in traffic for our longer tours or are 4 lane non freeways type so people can get around us. Around town I have no problem driving at traffic speeds, sometimes it 's the modern cars that I wish would speed up some!
Old 12-21-2016, 01:33 PM   #29
DougVieyra

The Ford Model A has a pretty extensive, intensive, exhaustive, comprehensive and rigorous set of 'Judging Standards', which are pretty in-depth and daunting.

I see that Snyder's catalog lists (in their Model T section, pg 3) a MODEL T JUDGING GUIDELINES ($37.50). For those of you who have a Model T, and are working towards a 'correct' restoration, how does the Model T Ford Club of America's 'JUDGING STANDARDS' compare?

It also looks like there has been a name change since the days that I belong to the club - now called MTFC 'International', instead of MTFC 'America'.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:59 PM   #30
Marshall V. Daut

"how does the Model T Ford Club of America's 'JUDGING STANDARDS' compare?"

"Sorry to be the voice of doom, but don't waste your money or hopes on the Model T Judging Standards. VERY primitive and lacking any detail found in the Model A Standards. In fact, I'll GIVE you mine for postage only. Virtually worthless, IMHO.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 02:25 PM   #31
Alaska Mike

I have a 25 coupe and a 31 roadster. They are very different cars. It is fun to see the evolution of the automobile in this short time span

My T has a high compression head, and hydraulic disc brakes on the rear, and an E-timer, but I set it up that way, because we like to tour. We can run 100 miles a day or more, and I actually find it is easier to drive than the Model A.

The Model A is bone stock, and is a "pretty car" with the stainless headlight buckets, and chrome bumpers and windshield frame. But it just doesn't have the same feeling as the T.

Side by side, most people are drawn to the Model A, because, it is "prettier".

I agree Model T folks are different that Model A folks. Kind of hard to pin it down, but I might sum it up with what has been said before, Model T folks are not in a hurry, Model A folks like to really cruise it on down the road....
Alaska Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 02:38 PM   #32
redmodelt

Judging is not as big a deal as with A's and V8's. I think it is the other way around, the international club is an offshoot of the MTFCA which was formed in California but both are now located somewhere in the Mid-West.
Over the years there have been other books that cover the progression of what goes to what years. Remember we are talking about Oct 1908 to about March of 1927, there were steady "improvements" over the years. When the old parts were used up at the factory the new parts were put into service or at a branch office. Because of that not every car made in a Model year would be the same say at the factory or Portland Or. for a given month. That would be a lot of factory memos that would have to be included because many of the changes were very small.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:31 PM   #33
Art Newland

Thanks for the info Brent, it gives me hope!
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:52 PM   #34
johnsor

The Model T is a great fun car for short distances (parades) etc; but are slow to be safe and they don't stop quickly. I really do enjoy my 30 Delux Model A Roadster which has no such limitations as the T, but I do miss the nice little 23 Model T Runabout that I sold a few years ago. I wish I haden't sold it cuz now I have neither the car or the money.
johnsor is offline   Reply With Quote