Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-11-2020, 12:36 AM   #1
dmsfrr

Default '54 / '55 Fordomatic ID ?

I have an air-cooled Fordomatic in a '55 Bird that the transmission rebuild shop said is a two speed. When driving or being manually shifted it only shifts one time.
It was my understanding the original air-cooled auto trans for a '55 Bird 'should' be a 3 speed that normally just skips first gear unless manually shifted, or kicked down. Same with the '56 & '57 Ford-o transmissions.

But, the transmission info at this link says the automatic is two speed, and the same for '56 & '57 Birds. http://automotivemileposts.com/tbird/prod1955tbird.html
I'm confused.

Was the '54 Fordomatic a two speed? How would I easily tell them apart if they're different from the air-cooled '55 version?
I remember the ID tag on the trans being blank when I was looking at it a few years back.
Are there other numbers or letters cast into the trans that would be different?
The car had a '54 engine when I got it and the transmission may(?) have come with the engine.

OR, am I lost and barking up the wrong tree?

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-11-2020 at 01:21 AM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:56 AM   #2
KULTULZ

Post Re: '54 / '55 Fordomatic ID ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post

I have an air-cooled Fordomatic in a '55 Bird that the transmission rebuild shop said is a two speed. When driving or being manually shifted it only shifts one time.

It was my understanding the original air-cooled auto trans for a '55 Bird 'should' be a 3 speed that normally just skips first gear unless manually shifted, or kicked down. Same with the '56 & '57 Ford-o transmissions.

But, the transmission info at this link says the automatic is two speed, and the same for '56 & '57 Birds. http://automotivemileposts.com/tbird/prod1955tbird.html
The only 2S was introduced in 1959. All F/M are three speed with 2nd gear start unless gagged. Where did you see 2S on the webpage?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1955 BIRD Option List.jpg (17.6 KB, 8 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:34 AM   #3
54vicky

Default Re: '54 / '55 Fordomatic ID ?

the 54 was-is a 3 speed sorry not about to crawl under to check for I.D.tags etc.if you like the idea of shifting pull it into low run it to about 25 pop into drive and carry on.if done right you can chirp the tires

Last edited by 54vicky; 02-11-2020 at 03:43 PM.
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:03 AM   #4
40 Deluxe

Quote:

I'm confused.

Was the '54 Fordomatic a two speed? How would I easily tell them apart if they're different from the air-cooled '55 version?
I remember the ID tag on the trans being blank when I was looking at it a few years back.
Are there other numbers or letters cast into the trans that would be different?
The car had a '54 engine when I got it and the transmission may(?) have come with the engine.

OR, am I lost and barking up the wrong tree?
That reference you cited shows the transmission ratios as 2.44 to 1 and 1.48 to 1. High gear, which was 1 to 1 in all automatics back then, is not listed for some reason. Therefore, it actually shows the T-Bird Fordomatic to be a three speed trans.
Incidentally, is your T-Bird a very early production car? If so, it may have had that 256 engine from the factory. There is an article in a 1954 Popular Mechanics magazine (about April or May, I think) that talks about the upcoming Thunderbird and lists the engine as the 256.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #5
scicala

I think the 256 Merc Y-Block in early '55 T-Birds might just be an old wives tale. Why would the use an inferior less powerful engine in a Bird if the 272 was available from the start of '55 production ?

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:32 PM   #6
dmsfrr

I have seen some early '54 pre-production TBird brochures that show the 256 engine but the brochuress dated later in '54 show the 'new' 198 hp (292) engine in the images.
http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/stati...Folder-06.html

Even the earliest production '55 TBirds had the 292...
"For 1955, the first 1000 Dearborn-built Ford VINs - 100001 through 101000 - were reserved for the new Thunderbird. All of these cars had the same 292 cubic-inch V-8 engine (P) . . . "
http://www.tbird.info/first-1955-thunderbirds.htm

The one I have is slightly later than this earliest group, scheduled build date Nov. 9th of '54. I suspect one of the previous owners may have worn out / used up the original 292 engine.
Or...
Back-in-the-day the car was in a bad enough wreck to have the frame replaced. Maybe the original engine & transmission were borrowed for another project at the time.
The '54 Merc 256 EBY engine in the car had a '57 tach drive distributor, '57 ECZ-B intake and an Autolite carb from an FE 390 when I got it. It didn't run well at all. Maybe a vacuum leak from the mis-matched intake manifold?

List of Y-block engine block casting number prefixes by year...
http://www.ford-y-block.com/Block%20identification.htm

40 Deluxe yes it's odd they didn't list the 1:1 high gear. I missed that, thanks.
I've seen the same transmission specs on at least one other website.
Maybe they're just copying the info from each other???

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
. . . Where did you see 2S on the webpage?
On the left side of this linked '55 Thunderbird info page... (photo attached)
http://automotivemileposts.com/tbird/prod1955tbird.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55 transmission ratios, copy.jpg (70.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg '54 239 vs '55+ intake gasket.jpg (27.7 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-17-2020 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:46 PM   #7
40 Deluxe

Quote:
I have seen some early '54 pre-production TBird brochures that show the 256 engine but the brochuress dated later in '54 show the 'new' 198 hp (292) engine in the images.
http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/stati...Folder-06.html

Even the earliest production '55 TBirds had the 292...
"For 1955, the first 1000 Dearborn-built Ford VINs - 100001 through 101000 - were reserved for the new Thunderbird. All of these cars had the same 292 cubic-inch V-8 engine (P) . . . "
http://www.tbird.info/first-1955-thunderbirds.htm

The one I have is slightly later than this earliest group, scheduled build date Nov. 9th of '54. I suspect one of the previous owners may have worn out / used up the original 292 engine.
Or... back-in-the-day the car was in a bad enough wreck to have the frame replaced. Maybe the original engine & transmission were 'borrowed' for another project at the time.
The '54 Merc 256 EBY engine in the car had a '57 tach drive distributor, '57 ECZ-B intake and an Autolite carb from an FE 390 when I got it. It barely ran at all, probably a vacuum leak from the mis-matched intake manifold.

List of Y-block engine block casting number prefixes by year...
http://www.ford-y-block.com/Block%20identification.htm

40 Deluxe yes it's odd they didn't list a 1:1 high gear.
I've seen the same transmission specs on at least one other website. Maybe they're just copying non-original info from each other???

On the left side of this linked '55 Thunderbird info page... (photo attached)
http://automotivemileposts.com/tbird/prod1955tbird.html
DMSFRR, I guess my info was way too early. I just thought maybe a few early Birds escaped with the 256 engine, before 292's were up and running. Seems not!
On the photo you show, again it lists the low gear and 2nd gear ratios, but not the 3rd gear ratio of 1 to 1.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:46 PM   #8
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post

I think the 256 Merc Y-Block in early '55 T-Birds might just be an old wives tale. Why would the use an inferior less powerful engine in a Bird if the 272 was available from the start of '55 production ?

Sal
The BIRD was initially designed with a 54 drive-line. The 256 (EBY) was to be used instead of the 239 EBU for 1955. CHEV was to intro their 265 for the 55 production run and FORD panicked and introduced the 272 and 292 for 1955 production. The 292 went to MERC, BIRD and FORD emergency vehicles.. The 272 was not available until the 55 production run. Being a performance car the BIRD would have gotten the 292.

Attached are excerpts from an introductory BIRD BROCHURE. No publication date-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1955 BIRD Brochure _1.JPG (63.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 1955 BIRD Brochure.jpg (48.4 KB, 10 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Last edited by KULTULZ; 02-11-2020 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:00 PM   #9
KULTULZ

Question Re: '54 / '55 Fordomatic ID ?

The FORD-O-MATIC was a three speed transmission. It is what is known as a SINGLE RANGE whereas the CRUISE-O-MATIC (1958/ ) was deemed DUAL RANGE.

The FM started in 2nd for fuel economy purposes. If you wanted performance, you either pull it into low or gagged it.

Brief and Concise Description - http://www.charlietranny.com/Fordomatic.htm

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 02-11-2020, 01:05 PM   #10
KULTULZ

It is assumed FINAL is 1:1 unless an OD.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 02-11-2020, 01:29 PM   #11
KULTULZ

Quote:
The '54 Merc 256 EBY engine in the car had a '57 tach drive distributor, '57 ECZ-B intake and an Autolite carb from an FE 390 when I got it. It didn't run well at all. Maybe a vacuum leak from the mis-matched intake manifold?
I forgot about the car history, as I forget almost everything now ...

So the engine was documented (CASTING ID - DATE CODES) as a 256 EBY?

Regarding the ECZ-B intake, were there any vacuum leaks as while the EBY was a CF design, it also had the smaller heads.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 02-11-2020, 04:02 PM   #12
dmsfrr

Quote:
. . . So the engine was documented (CASTING ID - DATE CODES) as a 256 EBY?

Regarding the ECZ-B intake, were there any vacuum leaks as while the EBY was a CF design, it also had the smaller heads.
Yes, the block and head casting number prefixes were EBY. photos attached
I didn't note or take photos of the date code because I wasn't that concerned. Just sold it to the first person who wanted it.

Vacuum leaks? The idle was real erratic and if I didn't slip it into neutral and keep it reved up it would die at every stop. I didn't do any diagnostics on the engine since I wasn't keeping it, was more concerned with getting it out and finding a good replacement.

Initial topic... I'm not happy with the apparent 2 speed transmission. The car seems a bit sluggish and doesn't take off well in its Lo gear (shakes & makes squealing noises occasionally unless I shift it manually) and RPM on the road is higher than I'd like.
With all the trouble to take it out I'd almost prefer to swap it for something better, maybe AOD?

I still need to double check the ignition timing & distributor operation after its initial setup, also the head bolt torque(?) valve adjustment and oil change.
The replacement 292 has just turned its first 1000 miles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EBY 256 block.jpg (45.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg EBY head number.jpg (81.3 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-20-2020 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:46 PM   #13
KULTULZ

Quote:

Initial topic... I'm not happy with the apparent 2 speed transmission. The car seems a bit sluggish and doesn't take off well in its Lo gear and RPM on the road is higher than I'd like.

With all the trouble to take it out I'd almost prefer to swap it for something better, maybe AOD?
Have you checked your TV adjustment and have you tightened the bands? Was it a take-out or rebuild?

AOD = $$$ but makes sense.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 02-11-2020, 05:16 PM   #14
dmsfrr

Quote:
Have you checked your TV adjustment and have you tightened the bands? Was it a take-out or rebuild?

AOD = $$$ but makes sense.
Yes, I set it using a 1/4 inch rod thru the throttle bell-crank bracket, drove it a bit and also tried a couple turns extra either way to see if would make a difference. No luck yet.
It was a rebuild of the trans that came with the car. It's been back to the shop since then. They said they dropped the pan to check it out and made some adjustments. Still seems the same to me.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:23 PM   #15
KULTULZ

Were you able to ID the TRANS? It may be calibrated incorrectly.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 02-11-2020, 06:06 PM   #16
dmsfrr

Quote:
Were you able to ID the TRANS? . . .
Not yet. I haven't raised the car up to get underneath, until I had an idea what to look for.
(and my good jack-stands are holding up another car)
Thanks for the nice illustration, and with measurements too!
Old 02-12-2020, 10:11 AM   #17
KULTULZ

1955 FORD THUNDERBIRD SALES BROCHURE EXCERPT

(No Pub Date) -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRANS - FM 3S.JPG (14.6 KB, 17 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 02-17-2020, 09:49 PM   #18
dmsfrr

Quote:
Were you able to ID the TRANS? . . .
I don't know as much as I'd like to. At the moment I can't get the car high enough off the floor to really be able to get under it.
Tried to measure "A", the length of the main case and got 10 & 1/2 inches. So not accurate enough with one hand and a tape measure???

However, at this website http://www.charlietranny.com/Fordomatic.htm I did find an image that looks like the same pan/pan gasket, with 14 bolt holes. (photo 1 below)
The inset corner is at the front of the driver's side of the trans. The main case is cast iron.
I didn't find a picture of an air cooled Ford-O like this one on that website, but found one I took a while back.

I'll make another attempt to get underneath after I get more jackstands.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fordomatic2smallcase.jpg (41.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20160426_102743c.jpg (72.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg air cooled bellhousing.jpg (54.9 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-18-2020 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:32 PM   #19
Daves55Sedan

You have a typical small-case two speed Ford-O-Matic. They were commonly used for Ford full-sized cars V8 and 6-cyl applications beginning in 1951.
The 1951 thru 1954 Ford-O-Matic's had a cast-iron rear extension housing. From '55 on up, they had an aluminum rear extension housing.
'51 thru '56 had air-cooled converters. '57 and later (with V8) had water-cooled converters, but they kept the air-cooled converters for the 223 I-6 all the way thru to '64 I think (when the 223 was discontinued).
If I remember right, the Cruise-O-Matic had a slightly longer case (known as the medium case). The transmission fluid pan was shaped a little differently and had a little bumpout on the passenger side. That has always been the easiest way for me to determine the difference.
The Cruise-O was normally not used on full-sized cars, but they were installed in Mercury cars and wagons and they were installed in Ford Thunderbird's. I just don't know what year they started. The '55 T-bird came from the factory with a 292 as the 312 was still a year out yet.
Lincoln had a whole nuther animal, known as the large case Ford-O, and if you saw one of those, you could easily tell the difference without measuring.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 12:09 AM   #20
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
You have a typical small-case two speed Ford-O-Matic. They were commonly used for Ford full-sized cars V8 and 6-cyl applications beginning in 1951.
The 1951 thru 1954 Ford-O-Matic's had a cast-iron rear extension housing. From '55 on up, they had an aluminum rear extension housing.
'51 thru '56 had air-cooled converters. ...
99% sure this one has an aluminum tail housing, I'll double check tomorrow.

My biggest concern is why it seems to only have two functioning forward gears instead of three with a 2nd gear start as I've been told it 'should' be. I asked the transmission shop that did the rebuild the same question and they told me it's really just a 2 speed. So where did the other gear go???

Shifting manually or driving it has two forward speeds and shifts only once. I initially thought the shifter might be out of position relative to the transmission and it may not reach the actual Lo gear position (since starting up from a stop seems a bit sluggish and at times squeals and shakes the car)
but it lines up with the P R N D L letters just fine. I'll double check that adjustment too.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-18-2020 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:22 AM   #21
KULTULZ

Quote:

My biggest concern is why it seems to only have two functioning forward gears instead of three with a 2nd gear start as I've been told it 'should' be. I asked the transmission shop that did the rebuild the same question and they told me it's really just a 2 speed. So where did the other gear go???

Shifting manually or driving it has two forward speeds and shifts only once. I initially thought the shifter might be out of position relative to the transmission and it may not reach the actual Lo gear position (since starting up from a stop seems a bit sluggish and at times squeals and shakes the car) but it lines up with the P R N D L letters just fine. I'll double check that adjustment too.
The FORD-O-MATIC is a 3S SINGLE RANGE TRANS with a 2nd gear start, If you want a 1st gear start, you have to put the selector in L or floor the throttle at take-off.

Small Case is a FORD-O-MATIC. Mid-Case is a MERC-O-MATIC designed for the heavier MERC and FORD performance applications of the period.

The CRUISE-O-MATIC/MERC-O-MATIC was introduced in 1958 whereas it was a DUAL RANGE, normally starting in 1st although the driver could choose a second gear start,

The ONLY 2-SPEED TRANS (FM/2)was introduced in 1959 for economy applications and was replaced by the C4.

I cannot understand on this late date how the confusion continues.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 02-18-2020, 12:11 PM   #22
grumppyoldman

my first 55 Ford with Fordomatic trans was 2 speed (only shifted once if started off in D ), If started off in L Shifted to D then shifted back to L then shifted back to D it shifted 2 times. There was what a Ford mechanic told me, was an intermitten range that had to be manually shifted. What i know is it worked that way when I was red light dragging. Would run damn near as fast in L as it did in D. I'd call that a 3 speed trans. They did away with in when they went to Crusamatic, My 60 Fordamatic when I tried it, it liked to have put me on the dash. Live and learn

Last edited by grumppyoldman; 02-18-2020 at 12:15 PM. Reason: make change to wording
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 12:42 PM   #23
dmsfrr

Quote:
. . .
I cannot understand on this late date how the confusion continues.
Manually shifting it to the L position on the shifter does eliminate the occasional squealing and shaking when starting off but does not seem to select a lower gear. It starts off at the same rate and shifts once when returning the shifter to the D position.

Here's what I suspect may be going on (but prefer not to think too hard about)
For some reason the transmission isn't able to actually shift into first gear and still starts off in 2nd. The transmission shop may(?) not have done the rebuild work correctly and isn't wanting to have to redo their work.
Their story is *It's a 2 speed*, so that I'll just go away.

I will continue to examine and readjust the shifter and kick-down linkages
and keep my fingers crossed.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-18-2020 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:18 PM   #24
KULTULZ

I remember your saying it had a 239/256 (?) in it when bought. And you found a 292 to replace it. Is the TRANS the one that came with the car?

Need the TRANS ID when you can.

The POWERGLIDE is a 2S, the FM is a 3S. It had the 2nd gear start for fuel economy.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 02-19-2020, 12:11 AM   #25
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
The Ford-O-Matic has always been a THREE-speed transmission. If you select "DRIVE", it shifts directly into intermediate, then shifts to high gear at the appropriate speed. You can select "LOW", start driving, then manually pop it up into "DRIVE" and it will shift into intermediate, then to high gear at the appropriate speed. Additionally, the trans will automatically shift into "LOW" if you select "DRIVE" and stomp the accellerator to the floor, then it will run thru all three gears. If you are on the highway, in "DRIVE" and you want to pass a slow poke, you can stomp the accellerator to the floor and the transmission will automatically downshift, then resume shifting to high again at the appropriate speed.

Where my concern is, lies in the fact that you are using a '57 and later intake manifold (which only properly fits on the 272/292 heads), and I am wondering if the guy who did the ill-advised swap, carried along the proper Ford-O-Matic passing gear linkage with it.

Thake some pics of back of intake manifold behind you carb so we can see the linkage. Do you see a rod connected from there that goes down to the passing gear lever on the trans (right where the shift lever is)? If not, you have problems. The Ford-O-Matic will not operate properly if that is not installed and not adjusted properly.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:28 AM   #26
54vicky

if you have a manual it shows how to adjust the linkage properly.if you do not have one that should be a priority.you also need to identify the transmission you have so any information you are given is right for the transmission you have.also as 55 said a picture of the bellcrank and linkages will be a huge help.if the car was pieced together over the years who knows what parts are (were) used
Old 02-19-2020, 10:49 AM   #27
rotorwrench

What some folks refer to as a kick down rod & lever is not quite correct. There is the gear selector lever and a throttle control lever. These transmissions use the throttle control lever to control pressures inside the transmission. Kick down will occur due to the spike in pressure when you floor it but it's not there just for kick down. Since there is no vacuum modulation like the 61 & later cars have, the shifting pressures had to be controlled through the linkage with the engine throttle control. The control mechanism behind the carb is a bit more complex than a kick down. It has to be properly adjusted to get correct shift control throughout the range of operation. As you push down on the throttle the TV valve (short for throttle valve), constantly increases transmission pressures as the throttle is opened up. The governor is set for shift points but it also has to have the correct pressure to shift properly. Too little pressure and it will slip. Slippage will kill the plates in these transmissions so adjustments have to be done a little bit at a time to adjust for a faster harsher shift down to a slower sloppier shift. You want somewhere in between when adjusting the TV rod linkage.

If the transmission has internal leaks due to bad o-ring seals, worn piston ring seals, bad servo diaphragms, or loose & leaky tubes then the transmission will have shift problems. Guys that know these transmission well have to diagnose off what the shift characteristics are. Generally the first thing they will do is a pressure test. A person needs the tech manuals for the transmission they have. There are a few shops out there that specialize in these units due to the number of T-birds and popular collector mid 50s Ford cars & trucks that have them.

The AOD is an option but the kits are expensive. These transmissions are distant relations to the old Ford-Os in that they have ravigneaux planetary units and still use a cable to control the TV valve but they have much more modern technology with the big advantage of overdrive.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:06 PM   #28
dmsfrr

Quote:
I remember your saying it had a 239/256 (?) in it when bought. And you found a 292 to replace it. Is the TRANS the one that came with the car?
Need the TRANS ID when you can. Will do.
Yes it had a '54 EBY 256 in it, with this same transmission behind it, trans has been rebuilt.
The engine is now an ECK '55 292 block w/ '58 #5752-113 heads and a '57 ECZ-B intake, '57 Holley List#1273 4bbl carburetor and '57 tach drive distributor. 1000 miles since it was rebuilt & installed.

Quote:
. . . .
Where my concern is, lies in the fact that you are using a '57 and later intake manifold (which only properly fits on the 272/292 heads), and I am wondering if the guy who did the ill-advised swap, carried along the proper Ford-O-Matic passing gear linkage with it.

Thake some pics of back of intake manifold behind you carb so we can see the linkage. Do you see a rod connected from there that goes down to the passing gear lever on the trans (right where the shift lever is)? If not, you have problems. The Ford-O-Matic will not operate properly if that is not installed and not adjusted properly.
Yes the '57 intake it came with fit very poorly on the 256 engine, and the intake had an unauthorized leaking extra hole in it, but they're both gone now.
Photos below of the throttle linkage bellcrank with the transmission kickdown / TV rod attached.
I suspect it's the '57 version bellcrank but I'm not positive.

There is a turnbuckle sort of adjustment rod between the firewall mounted throttle lever and bellcrank on the manifold. My first impression of it, when trying to follow the kickdown / throttle control rod adjustment procedure, is that it's too long. But I'm not sure how it would make a difference.
The TV rod length is currently adjusted to 'just fit' into its hole in the bellcrank when the throttle is fully released in the 'idle' position & with the choke / fast idle off as well.
Please excuse the chipped paint on the bellcrank, it's on the to-do list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54vicky View Post
if you have a manual it shows how to adjust the linkage properly.if you do not have one that should be a priority.you also need to identify the transmission you have so any information you are given is right for the transmission you have.also as 55 said a picture of the bellcrank and linkages will be a huge help.if the car was pieced together over the years who knows what parts are (were) used
"pieced together" - See the basic under-hood parts list above.
I do have both a '55 and '57 Shop Manual and have been valiantly (if only occasionally) attempting to follow those adjustment instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
... The control mechanism behind the carb is a bit more complex than a kick down. It has to be properly adjusted to get correct shift control throughout the range of operation. As you push down on the throttle the TV valve (short for throttle valve), constantly increases transmission pressures as the throttle is opened up. The governor is set for shift points but it also has to have the correct pressure to shift properly. Too little pressure and it will slip. Slippage will kill the plates in these transmissions so adjustments have to be done a little bit at a time to adjust for a faster harsher shift down to a slower sloppier shift. You want somewhere in between when adjusting the TV rod linkage.

If the transmission has internal leaks due to bad o-ring seals, worn piston ring seals, bad servo diaphragms, or loose & leaky tubes then the transmission will have shift problems. ...
This is sounding like I need to lengthen the TV rod slightly to increase the pressure, to hopefully avoid the slipping when starting off from a stop that it's experiencing. I have been manually shifting it most of the time to help avoid that misbehavior.

The transmission was rebuilt before I reinstalled it and the engine. Using Mercon transmission fluid recommended by the rebuilder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg throttle bellcrank, left side.jpg (84.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg throttle bellcrank, right side.jpg (84.4 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-17-2020 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:11 PM   #29
KULTULZ

Quote:
This is sounding like I need to lengthen the TV rod slightly to increase the pressure, to hopefully avoid the slipping when starting off from a stop that it's experiencing. I have been manually shifting it most of the time to help avoid that misbehavior.

The transmission was rebuilt before I reinstalled it and the engine. Using Mercon transmission fluid recommended by the rebuilder.
The linkage(s) at the intake manifold are 1957. You say the car came with a 256 and the trans came with the car? Before you start anything, you are going to have to ID the trans and go from there.

When all is assembled correctly, proper TV pressure is going to have to be set with a pressure gauge.

- DISCLAIMER -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 02-19-2020 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:50 PM   #30
paul2748

There is a procedure to set the down shift rod spelt out in the Fordo manual and in Motor's books. It is not in the regular shop manual.

The linkage set up looks like the 57 linkage. I have the same on my 56 Bird
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:22 PM   #31
miker98038

I haven't had a Fordo since 1968, so I'm trying to remember what I've read more recently. But isn't there a kind of "slip joint" in the bellcrank, and a spring that controls it? And you push that down, put a 1/4" rod or screwdriver thru a couple holes, and then set the rod? Greenbird56 (either here or at yblocksforever) had a good post about that some time back, but I'm not so good with the search function on either site. Just trying to jog someone who knows.

Not to say a pressure gauge isn't the final answer.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:45 PM   #32
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post
... But isn't there a kind of "slip joint" in the bellcrank, and a spring that controls it? And you push that down, put a 1/4" rod or screwdriver thru a couple holes, and then set the rod? ...
Yes there is. I've done that adjustment procedure a couple times now and it doesn't seem to help. But I haven't given up on it yet and will tackle it again, adding a bit of length to the TV rod.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-19-2020 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:27 AM   #33
Daves55Sedan

Okay, so now getting some better info. You do now have the old 256 motor swapped out with a 292 and have the '57 & later intake manifold and carburetor complete with the '57 style carb linkage and kickdown mechanism to some degree. And we go from there.
And excuse me for using confusing terminology. I thought we all knew that the kickdown is really a fluid pressure control, but us hillbillies down here use the term "kickdown". As far as the 2-spd/3-spd confusion, it's just a matter of terminology. The small case Ford-O-matic is a 3-speed, single range trans, while the Cruise-O is a 3-speed, dual range. They are ALL three speed. But a lot of us old hillbillies call the Ford-O a 2-spd, but that's actually wrong. It only shifts ONCE in "Drive".
Now dmsfrr, I have two '55's with Ford-O-Matics. The adjustment procedure for the "kickdown rod" is NOT located in the car shop manual. You need the Ford-O-Matic shop manual for the adjustment procedure. I have had the 1956 Ford-O-Matic shop manual since 1973. In the '56 Manual, you would look at page 20 and 21 and there's a good illustration of your linkage on pg 21.
It looks to me like you have the clevis unscrewed way too much, meaning the "kickdown" lever at the transmission is rotated down too far.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:54 AM   #34
rotorwrench

The small Ford-O 2-speed is easily distinguishable by its small size and aluminum case. They were made for the Falcons and the Comet as well as other light duty applications that hit the streets in 1960. The 140 was a doggy little bugger so the 2-speed was all it needed to drag grandma to the grocery once a week.

One or two of the Borg Warner specialists use parts between the models to build a stronger transmission with a bit more longevity. They may recommend any sort of ATF but I will add this. Ford developed Type F fluid in 1967 for all of their transmissions up through the FMX series. The only exception is the C6 that came out in 1966. You can likely get away without using type F but it is a good fluid to use on the old transmissions that still contain the bronze & steel clutch packs. It helps them engage better without slippage. Use it or not but if it slips, a change to Type F might help that since that is what it was for. If it is a band slipping then it won't help with that.

Valves can get sticky in the valve body so conditioners can also be used to help them work
better until the unit fully warms up. These old transmissions can be cold blooded but they usually work the best when fully warmed up. I would do a pressure test on it per the transmission manual for the unit you have. This will tell you whether it has enough to work or not if nothing else. If there is an internal leak, it won't fix itself.

If you haven't seen this then it may be a good read.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic117674.aspx

Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-20-2020 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:08 PM   #35
54vicky

without being there I have a feeling you may not have the proper springs on there.I am not familiar with the 57 bell crank.I may have the spring info somewhere(number of coils etc)as to the pressure gauge you need a protractor in conjunction with it.the transmission shop may or may not have it.if they did you would need to take the car to them.they have probably built it right but they can not do anything about the linkage unless they have it.I am going to suggest something that may work if the spring(springs)is wrong.it will require you placing a 1 /4 or 5/16 bolt and nut and clamp that slide in the spot I show on linkage thus limiting the slide.this is a simple thing and can be reversed easily by removing.I neglected to say try driving it and see if it takes off the way it should(SECOND GEAR)if so then I will try to find the info on springs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inkedthrottle bellcrank, left side_LI.jpg (489.5 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by 54vicky; 02-20-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 05:54 PM   #36
dmsfrr

Quote:
... You have a typical small-case two speed Ford-O-Matic. They were commonly used for Ford full-sized cars V8 and 6-cyl applications beginning in 1951.
'51 thru '56 had air-cooled converters. '57 and later (with V8) had water-cooled converters, ...
This one has the cast iron air-cooled bellhousing, a cast iron main case and an aluminum rear housing. So it "shouldn't" be the '54 version. (photos in previous replies above)
Quote:
... I have two '55's with Ford-O-Matics. The adjustment procedure for the "kickdown rod" is NOT located in the car shop manual. You need the Ford-O-Matic shop manual for the adjustment procedure. I have had the 1956 Ford-O-Matic shop manual since 1973. In the '56 Manual, you would look at page 20 and 21 and there's a good illustration of your linkage on pg 21. ...
You're right I didn't find it in the '55 shop manual and don't have the '56 version. But I did find the adjustment procedure on page 2-89 in the '57 Shop Manual. That's what I'm hoping will do it.

Tinkering with it today but I have other plans tomorrow and the weather is supposed to go bad Saturday and Sunday. So a test drive may have to wait until next week.

In the meantime, if it's raining or snowing, more jackstands are here now and I'll try getting the car high enough to have a look at the ID plate on the transmission.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54vicky View Post
... I may have the spring info somewhere(number of coils etc)as to the pressure gauge you need a protractor in conjunction with it.the transmission shop may or may not have it.if they did you would need to take the car to them.they have probably built it right but they can not do anything about the linkage unless they have it. ...
They had the car for a couple days a few months ago, said they made some adjustments
(but no difference I could notice) and that they were really busy.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-27-2020 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:28 AM   #37
KULTULZ

Unhappy Re: '54 / '55 Fordomatic ID ?

Quote:

You're right I didn't find it in the '55 shop manual and don't have the '56 version. But I did find the adjustment procedure on page 2-89 in the '57 Shop Manual. That's what I'm hoping will do it.

Tinkering with it today but I have other plans tomorrow and the weather is supposed to go bad Saturday and Sunday. So a test drive may have to wait until next week.

In the meantime, if it's raining or snowing, more jackstands are here now and I'll try getting the car high enough to have a look at the ID plate on the transmission.

They had the car for a couple days a few months ago, said they made some adjustments (but no difference I could notice) and that they were really busy.
If the rebuild shop was not able to adjust the linkages properly, it is because of a reason(s), (or they were incompetent and/or uncaring)..

If you keep fiddling with it by trying this and trying that, eventually the trans will burn, especially its being air cooled.

When it shakes and vibrates @ take-off, it is telling you something.

CHANCES ARE ... Get 'em Johnny Rivers ...

The shop could not get the pressure set correctly as the car has the wrong linkages and could not arrive at the correct geometry. Either realizing or not realizing, they got it close (hand grenades) and drove her out.

Why a volume shop does not offer services on an older car. No TECH INFO and no easy parts source.

PASS CAR and BIRD linkages are not the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l2000.jpg (76.8 KB, 2 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 02-21-2020 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:16 PM   #38
dmsfrr

Quote:
... If you keep fiddling with it by trying this and trying that, eventually the trans will burn, especially its being air cooled. ...
No immediate danger. I haven't even started it in 2 months, let alone driven it.

I re-read the adjustment instructions and they say to adjust the TV rod to 'just fit' into its hole in the bellcrank then remove it and increase the TV rod length by 3 counterclockwise turns of the adjustment, then reattach it. Test drive and if slippage is still evident increase the TV rod length by 1/2 turn.

That jives with what rotorwrench said earlier about a shorter TV rod lessening the pressure and causing slipping, and adjusting it longer increases the pressure reducing slipping but creating a harsher shift. (and finding a good compromise between the two)
Quote:
... The control mechanism behind the carb is a bit more complex than a kick down. It has to be properly adjusted to get correct shift control throughout the range of operation. As you push down on the throttle the TV valve (short for throttle valve), constantly increases transmission pressures as the throttle is opened up. The governor is set for shift points but it also has to have the correct pressure to shift properly. Too little pressure and it will slip. Slippage will kill the plates in these transmissions so adjustments have to be done a little bit at a time to adjust for a faster harsher shift down to a slower sloppier shift. You want somewhere in between when adjusting the TV rod linkage. ...
I double checked TV rod adjustment yesterday and found the 3 'extra' turns hadn't been added (oops) so that got reset. Hopefully that will take care of the slipping when starting off from a stop.
No test drive til next week, with rain or snow over the weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg side by side.jpg (41.1 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-27-2020 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:40 PM   #39
dmsfrr

According to this link the ID letters 'should' be PMB-C, printed in red paint on the left side of the ID tag.
https://www.ctci.org/fordomatic-tran...dentification/

But the paint on the tag is missing, washed off at the transmission shop. Someone who shall remain nameless didn't take a photo of it first.
There are some remaining numbers & letters on the tag if they're helpful. 19-1872S2
I've found some info online that may(?) be helpful once I can review it. But may not be looking at the best websites for this transmission.
Just in case these tag photos designate something meaningful I'm including them below.

photo 3 - During several internet searches I haven't come across another Fordomatic transmission image that matches the passenger side of the main case this one has.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trans tag L.jpg (45.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg trans tag r.jpg (54.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg transmission copy.jpg (50.3 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-25-2020 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:16 AM   #40
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
This one has the cast iron air-cooled bellhousing, a cast iron main case and an aluminum rear housing. So it "shouldn't" be the '54 version.
Then, it is probably the original '55 Ford-O-Matic, or it could be a '56 which is identical to the '55, but it is definitely not a '57, because those had water-cooled converter.
Quote:
You're right I didn't find it in the '55 shop manual and don't have the '56 version. But I did find the adjustment procedure on page 2-89 in the '57 Shop Manual.
If I didn't mention it in my 2-19 post, there is MORE THAN ONE shop manual. The CAR shop manual covers all cars, wagons and Thunderbird, but DOES NOT cover the Ford-O-Matic transmission or trucks.
There is a SEPARATE Ford-O-Matic shop manual that covers the passing gear adjustment completely for all vehicles of that year.
There is a separate shop manual for trucks.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:31 AM   #41
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
But the paint on the tag is missing, washed off at the transmission shop. Someone who shall remain nameless didn't take a photo of it first.
And...was that fellows name dmsfrr??? Haha. I took a sharp flat chisel and knocked the heads off the rivets that held the oval shaped tag with red letters before taking mine to the trans rebuilder. Then I drilled the rivets out and tapped them for small machine screw. Didn't install the tag until I got the trans back from the rebuilder.
Quote:
During several internet searches I haven't come across another Fordomatic transmission image that matches the passenger side of the main case this one has.
That passenger side is identical to both my '55 Ford-O-Matics and is the same for every small case cast iron Ford-O-Matic from at least '55 thru '59. The earlier ones had a filler cap where that rounded portion is near the rear and the transmission pan did not have a dipstick/filler tube. That's really the only big difference between all the small case Ford-O's from '51 thru '59 as far as the trans case goes.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:25 AM   #42
rotorwrench

They started using the oil cooled transmissions early in 1956 for the T-birds. T-bird transmissions had an extra plate in the clutch pack but otherwise were nearly identical to the other Ford units of each year model. I wonder how many 55 birds were changed over to the later 56/57 oil cooled transmission? If I was going to that trouble, an AOD would end up in there. I'm not a big fan of those air cooled units. I do understand originality though if a person goes that route. The air cooled jobs can work well but it's not easy to get them there. A person really has to play with them a while to be good at rebuilding them correctly. NOS hard parts are getting scarce and no one reproduces them. Soft parts & clutches are available but they don't stack up like the OEM stuff. This really complicates the set up assembly during overhaul. What I'm inferring to it that they are easy to get wrong if you don't know them well enough.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:30 PM   #43
dmsfrr

Quote:
... If I was going to that trouble, an AOD would end up in there. ....
If the Ford-o wasn't already hooked up in the car with a hopeful chance of working better I'd be giving the AOD some real serious thought.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-25-2020 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:18 PM   #44
KULTULZ

Quote:

There are some remaining numbers & letters on the tag if they're helpful. 19-1872S2
The ID info is stamped in the OEM plate. You will have to bulge your short eyeballs to pick them up ...

The TAG ID may be the re-builders reference.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 02-25-2020, 07:16 PM   #45
dmsfrr

Quote:
The ID info is stamped in the OEM plate. ...
Are you talking about the oval ID plate riveted to the drivers side of the transmission?
Image 1 and 2 below.

The transmission ID letters/numbers on that ID plate and the surrounding background are printed / painted in red onto the plate. Confirmed on the transmission in question by a somewhat blurry zoomed in 'before' photo 3 of it coming out of the car.
All that remains on the ID plate after a trip thru the transmission shop parts washer are the stamped numbers on the right side. photos 4 & 5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fordomatic transmission ID tag.jpg (74.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Trans ID plate.jpg (17.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg trans zoomed in 2.jpg (25.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg trans tag, Left.jpg (45.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg trans tag, Right.jpg (54.3 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-17-2020 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:47 AM   #46
KULTULZ

Red face Re: '54 / '55 Fordomatic ID ?

Quote:
All that remains on the ID plate after a trip thru the parts washer are the stamped numbers on the right side. photos 4 & 5

OK, I think it finally set in. On the RS of the ID TAG, it does not give ENGINE SIZE but an unknown SERIAL NUMBER.

I thought you were describing the right side of the case.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 02-27-2020, 07:05 PM   #47
dmsfrr

Results of a short test drive thru my neighborhood, with a (mostly observed) 15mph speed limit.
Starting up from a stop no longer has the occasional shaking and squealing.
Placing the shifter in low and applying some extra pressure to the Go pedal provides a new found rate of acceleration.

Still not sure if I can feel 2 gear changes but it's much better than it was.
Looking forward to a 30+ mile round trip across town this coming Sunday for a Ford dealership anniversary car show that our club was invited to.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-27-2020 at 09:33 PM.