Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
poweredbylincoln

Default Attention California Car guys PLEASE READ

I am not going to make a political speach, I would just like you all to be aware of Proposition 23 on the Ballot

And you can make your own decision

http://www.totalcostinvolved.com/CCI...AVEYOURCAR.pdf

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/gree...ces-ab-32.html

"Proponents of Prop. 23, however, say the global-warming law, which promotes solar, wind and alternative fuels to replace oil, gas and coal, will increase the price of energy. They project up to a 60% rise in electricity rates, up to 57% higher natural-gas rates, and a $3.7-billion annual increase in the cost of gasoline and diesel fuel."

Thank you ford barn, I am not trying to start a political arguement

I hope this helps out the hobbyists

thank you ford barn
poweredbylincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:20 PM   #2
poweredbylincoln

Default Re: Attention California Car guys PLEASE READ

http://www.arb.ca.gov/cc/ab32/ab32.htm/

please no political argument, just trying to inform
Old 10-12-2010, 06:00 AM   #3
peters180a/170b

Its called CAP & TAX and if passed it will go across the board not only in C.A.!
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:38 AM   #4
pdora

Even though the sticky thread "posts that turn political" is closed, we have some unfinished business that we can't avoid. Otherwise, politics will keep cropping up as in this thread and the one about taxation of vendors at national gatherings.

When the ban on political posts in the Ford Barn was announced, a few members quit in indignation. The rest of us (now numbering more that eight thousand!) elected to stay on. Most of those remaining were probably relieved to be free of endless partisan rants. I know I was.

There are, however, other kinds of political commentary. In a sense, everything we do and say has political overtones.

The stated purpose of this discussion board is the enjoyment and promotion of the Model A hobby. Some government actions threaten our common interest.

It is a fact that, given the authority, certain unelected bureaucrats would, at the stroke of a pen, cripple our activities and even turn us into outlaws.

I sincerely hope the Ford Barn can accommodate our efforts to protect what we have from outside incursions. Out commonality of interest in this regard extends far beyond the Model A community. We would do well to work with other enthusiasts such as:

All antique / classic cars, rods, customs, motorcycles, boats, airplanes, steam engines. In my rural community restored antique tractors are a big deal; they turn up at all the parades in the dozens, accompanied by the occasional A or T. I even have a friend who has collected more than a hundred gasoline-powered string trimmers!

There are ways to address politicized issues without becoming rancorously political. Judicious use of the "Report" button could keep things calm with minimum burden on the moderators.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:57 AM   #5
Mitch Bunkin in PA

Hi Peter,
Very well put. The thread above about filing for PA sales tax at Hershey is an example of mature, informative dialogue. Issues directly affecting our hobby can and should be discussed for everyone's benefit. I, too, am delighted that the partisan, emotionally loaded rants have disappeared. The quality of this site depends heavily on the skill of the monitor.

"Most people ONLY want to know
what they already believe and
nothing more."
Mitch Bunkin in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
Commander Toasty

Send a message via ICQ to Commander Toasty

It is an unfortunate situation that some form of politics does enter our hobby, and requires some activity or involvement. A car club I belong to has a political committee (here in California) because there are so many - what seem to be attacks - against the collector car activity. Some of these involve banning certain materials from brake linings, others are smog laws, others are safety inspections - whatever - they threaten the hobby. So, like any special interest group, it makes sense to address things right up front. And that is what I see the original post at the top as doing, passing along information.
I am not promoting political argument on the board!
Commander Toasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #7
peters180a/170b

All of the above very well said! Years ago they passed a town law about cars sitting in a driveway or off the side of a barn or gargage without a license plate will get a ticket. First time was $100.00 then it worked its way upto $500.00...and then to court. So people put tarps on the cars and wrapped them up.That was good for awhile. So now people set up those tents and that to was good for awhile. Now a permit for the tent [if they give you one]with hold down ancors in the ground .For me i wanted to build a 2 car gargage which then turned into a $120.00 tax bill per MONTH added to everthing else. So no gargage and i bought a enclosed trailer for the spring,summer and fall and a free heated Gargage with a alarm system .People go to Florida[Nov.] after Thanksgiving with their car every year and come back in the middle of May.Works for me Until i move someday south.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #8
Larry Brumfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Bunkin in PA View Post
Hi Peter,
Very well put. The thread above about filing for PA sales tax at Hershey is an example of mature, informative dialogue. Issues directly affecting our hobby can and should be discussed for everyone's benefit. I, too, am delighted that the partisan, emotionally loaded rants have disappeared. The quality of this site depends heavily on the skill of the monitor.
A post about a proposition is political.

Ryan said "No Politics" and that means no politics!

He did not say "informative dialogue" etc., etc. or any other words or spin to allow political posts for a certain few. There should be no double standards.
Larry Brumfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:08 PM   #9
PC/SR

Larry is right. The post is not "informative" but passes on political propaganda put out by 2 major oil companies that are paying for the Proposition. Nuff said.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:09 AM   #10
29RPU

I don't care for political posts, but I think the last two are wrong. I'm glad they posted, or I would not have known about it. Knowing what is going on is part of the Model A hobby. The whole purpose of the Political ban is to prevent bickering. There's no bickering in this thread. Maybe the rules should be no bickering, not no politics.

Whatever, but if the original post is wrong, that is just stupid. I want to know when our hobby is being threatened, by any means possible. I can't think of a more likely place to hear about it than our friendly forum. Jeez.
29RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:06 AM   #11
RJ

well said
RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #12
Larry Brumfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29RPU View Post
The whole purpose of the Political ban is to prevent bickering. There's no bickering in this thread. Maybe the rules should be no bickering, not no politics. Jeez.

Doesn't matter if there's bickering or not. The whole purpose of the Political ban is to prevent political posts, period. Ryan made it clear. No Politics.
Larry Brumfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #13
PC/SR

29RPU: One reason there is no "bickering" is that in accordance with the rules I chose not to engage in a dialogue about the Proposition. I did not even post links to the other side of the argument to counteract the links the original poster presented, again because I felt that a violation of the rules. No politics, period.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
pdora

The original post in this thread presents a link to a website about ostensible threats to car culture posed by global warming initiatives. This is not a political issue. It is a religious issue. Since that is banned on the Ford Barn as well, I will observe the rules.

The last thing I would want is for the FB to be diminished in any way. It is far too valuable to jeopardize.

Nevertheless, car culture is seriously threatened by governmental dictates and I will look for other discussion boards to pursue such topics.

There. Problem solved.
Discuss 'A' issues on the FB, and governmental threats elsewhere.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #15
Commander Toasty

Send a message via ICQ to Commander Toasty

Or - just a thought - create a sub-menu category for such posts. If you wish only to read posts on this category - great! But if you are interested in knowing what's going on in the 'political' arena, or have some opinion not appropriate for this one - post it there.
Commander Toasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:53 PM   #16
popcorn-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Toasty View Post
Or - just a thought - create a sub-menu category for such posts. If you wish only to read posts on this category - great! But if you are interested in knowing what's going on in the 'political' arena, or have some opinion not appropriate for this one - post it there.
Thank you!
popcorn-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:45 AM   #17
poweredbylincoln

I want to say thank you to all of you who have read this post.

My intention was to inform my fellow members in the car hobby of the current proposition above.

I hope that those who did not know of this proposition have learned of it. And that we may all gain knowledge about it to make an educational decision.

That would benefit eachother and would allow the preservation of our old fords and so that we may enjoy them with friends and family for years to come =)

I want to thank everyone for being very respectful and curtious and if you have become
informed and motivated about this proposition. I hope you can pass it along to your fellow hobbyist.

I am voting to yes, in support of this bill, But I

wanted to tell everyone thank you for taking the time to look at it in a professional manner =)

thank you for your time and help

I truly appreciate it
Old 10-16-2010, 10:24 AM   #18
F6Forrest

Along these lines, here's what happened in one of Canada's provinces-

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/topic/Eba...#1287002624978
F6Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote