Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #41
lance leblanc

Default Re: Defunct harbor freight compressor

1Oldtimer;
I do the same. I love attending tool auctions. Lots of great buys, only you will usually have to buy three or more of one tool in a lot. Many times that's good, as it some times takes three to make one good one.
Also many foreign made tools are excellent quality. But IMO, CP is not one of them.
However as posted earlier by Fred..... Why pay a fortune for a tool that I intend to use only once or twice. On the MAC Truck. I'd tell the guys who said they where buying from HF about how really cool it will be when there son inherits broken tools. "It seldom worked"

Last edited by lance leblanc; 02-03-2013 at 10:03 PM.
lance leblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #42
montanafordman

I recently bought a Harbor Frieght Air compressor and got the 2HP 29gal model. Its belt driven / oiled so its much quieter and has decent output for my needs so far. I really wanted at least a 5hp+ 60 gallon+ capacity compressor but it just wasn't in my budget and this one should work for just about anything short of sandblasting. The nice thing is it was affordable enough that if I upgrade in 5-10 years I should be able to sell this one and not be out very much money. It fills and recovers quickly and I've been quite impressed so far. Another bonus is that the pump is a bostich pump and parts for the pump are readily available, so in this respect you don't have to rely on proprietary parts. You can use other brand regulators, motors etc and several parts places sell compressor parts and rebuilt kits for the bostich ABB3800 pump which is installed on this compressor.

I had been looking at a Sears Craftsman Professional model for years that was 27 gallons with virtually the same output but cost $150 dollars more. I do belive that one was built in the USA but Lowes, Home Depot, and other major stores carry store branded compressors with similar size and output that actually use the EXACT SAME compressor pump as my Harbor freight model (which is made by Bostich) and cost a fair amount more. The motor and tank might be lessor quality since that is more or less store and model specific but I have no complaints so this was a good deal for me.

I purchased an Air Hose at Lowe's and bought the best one they sold and it blew up the first night I used it and only had the regulator set to about 90psi. It was made overseas and coincidentally I bought a made in USA goodyear hose at Harbor frieght that is far better than what I bought elsewhere. So not EVERYTHING at HF is foreign and terrible. That can be a fair generalization, yet there are deals to be had and for some seldom used specialty tools and air tools I think harbor frieght is a decent bargain and a viable option for the average DIY home user. Their air tools are actually quite a bargain and peform well compared to the price difference of other brands. I won't be buying any of their sockets or common hand tools anytime soon though.

My next big tool purchase will be a bench grinder. I have no interest in a cheap imported $50 grinder that will slow down or overheat with the slightest bit of stress and use so I"m looking at a JET 8" grinder and pedistal for my garage. This is another foreign made compromise but from what I hear should hold up much better than your average store brand special from Sears or HF. I'd love to spring for an american made BALDOR grinder but theres no way I can pony up $8-900 for a ginder I'll primarily use for lawn mower blades, drill bits, chisels, punches and small welding projects / sheet metal. At least not at this point in my life but I'm still trying to get stuff that LASTS.

Last edited by montanafordman; 02-05-2013 at 09:59 AM.
montanafordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #43
Tom Wesenberg

I agree with everything montanafordman just said. I would NEVER buy an oilless compressor, and I like the Goodyear air hoses. Also as mentioned the China grinders are underpowered and NOT the H.P. claimed. Unless they've improved lately a lot of the China electric motors burn up quickly. I have purchased the hand tools though and have actually had good luck at a very low price. (combination wrench sets)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #44
jkeesey

I bought the knock off sawzall and hand grinder from harbor freight and both literally blew up in my hands. Luckily with money being tight I found brand new craftsman ones at a local pawn shop.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote