Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-20-2018, 08:26 PM   #1
goodcar

Default Minnesota License Plate

Just moved to MN from NE and need to license the Model A here. What are my options?? I plan to do a fair amount of driving. Should I get regular plates or can I get historic or collector plates?? If historic or collector, what are the limitations?? I currently have Hagerty insurance but have read in the past that there are strict limitations with them. Thanks for your suggestions.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:45 PM   #2
eagle

Default Re: Minnesota License Plate

Here is the State of MN website info: https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/Pag...spx?pageID=616
Basically a one time fee with no renewal. I use Year of Manufacture plates. As long as you don't use the car as a daily driver you can use the car all you want.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:22 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Between snow, road salt, long cold winters, and rain, you won't get a lot of good days to drive your car. Sad but true.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:48 AM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Between snow, road salt, long cold winters, and rain, you won't get a lot of good days to drive your car. Sad but true.
I TRY, NOT to complain of our HEAT, here!
Once, Gregg & I sprayed PAM on the driveway & FRIED 3 eggs, which were QUICKLY eaten by Marley, Tonys' Black Lab, next door! Like Marley sez, "ALL FOOD MUST GO TO THE LAB, FOR TESTING"!!!---LOL
We put 2 frozen TV Dinners in the bed of my BLACK, Dodge Kadota & they were HOT enough to eat, in 1 (ONE!) HOUR!!!
Bill Hot
Old 06-21-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
goodcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I understand but a few quality days of driving up here on smooth quiet country roads beats the heck out of what I had to contend with in Omaha. To start with, I had to drive 5 miles in city traffic over pot hole laced streets just to get out of town. After all that, what I had to drive on was busy highways or gravel roads. We had all the salt there too, along with a very miserable winter that skipped spring and blessed us with almost immediate very high 90s temps and a day or two of 100 degree heat--now getting storms. Just watch the College World Series and see how many games get postponed or delayed because of storms and rain--happens almost every year. My roof was replaced 4 years ago and then had to do it again last year due to hail. I know the grass is always greener on the other side but I'm at least ready to give it a try.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:32 AM   #6
Dave in MN

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I live in rural Minnesota (Dave in MN), I usually have my car out and running after the first heavy rain in April washes the salt from the roads. In the Fall, it is typically into November before the first application of de-icing brine is laid down and my cars are put in storage. That figures out to about 7 months of country road driving.
Counting my blessings!
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:40 PM   #7
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
Here is the State of MN website info: https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/Pag...spx?pageID=616
Basically a one time fee with no renewal. I use Year of Manufacture plates. As long as you don't use the car as a daily driver you can use the car all you want.
Missouri does something similar for using the year of the car plate. They stick in a requirement that you keep track of your trips and If I remember right, no more than 1000 mi per year! I printed the log off the web, stuck it in my door pocket put on my 1930 plate, and the only thing officers do passing me by is wave!

We, who love and keep up these vintage vehicles get attention for the vehicle and people love to see em running down the road! And that appears to include all people I have waved at or blown the Ahooga at!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote