Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-09-2019, 02:33 PM   #1
chrs1961815

Default Original v. Reproduction Wind Wing Brackets

How do the reproduction brackets and hardware stack up against the originals for 1928 Open Cars? Would love to see some pictures. Have had some trouble with the lower bracket stud and nut to the stanchion.
chrs1961815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:25 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Original v. Reproduction Wind Wing Brackets

I am having trouble uploading pictures. Maybe I will try later if someone else doesn't do it.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:43 PM   #3
grj

Originals are recessed in both halves. 1. 30/31. 2. 28/29. The cast part is very difficult to plate well. Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2926.jpg (44.1 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2927.jpg (46.3 KB, 112 views)
grj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:23 PM   #4
chrs1961815

Quote:
Originally Posted by grj View Post
Originals are recessed in both halves. 1. 30/31. 2. 28/29. The cast part is very difficult to plate well. Gary
Thanks. I assume the reproductions are not made out of cast and are different from originals?
Old 01-10-2019, 05:15 PM   #5
Synchro909

I'd prefer originals any time. I have a set of Vintique wind wings on my Phaeton and they are crap. Like just about everybody else, I've had the glass come loose (others have had it fall out).
The clamps don't grip tight enough. My cure was to replace the glass with Perspex - much lighter and easier to grip. The downside is the perspex scratches easily but years later they are still there.Another problem with the Vintique ones is the lousy materials used in their construction. Clamp bolts twist off easily and the pivots let go. Junk!
Old 01-10-2019, 11:43 PM   #6
chrs1961815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I'd prefer originals any time. I have a set of Vintique wind wings on my Phaeton and they are crap. Like just about everybody else, I've had the glass come loose (others have had it fall out).
The clamps don't grip tight enough. My cure was to replace the glass with Perspex - much lighter and easier to grip. The downside is the perspex scratches easily but years later they are still there.Another problem with the Vintique ones is the lousy materials used in their construction. Clamp bolts twist off easily and the pivots let go. Junk!
I agree. I have an older reproduction set on my car (probably vintique) that I am in the process of improving with new nuts and adjusting screws along with tapping and dieing everything. That is why I asked. Also, do the reproduction ones not fit good on original stanchions?
Old 01-11-2019, 03:01 AM   #7
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs1961815 View Post
I agree. I have an older reproduction set on my car (probably vintique) that I am in the process of improving with new nuts and adjusting screws along with tapping and dieing everything. That is why I asked. Also, do the reproduction ones not fit good on original stanchions?
Just one more problem with them. Why do Vintique persist with this crap? It only takes one such very poor product to cause people to question the rest of their stuff. IMO, NOT good management.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:45 AM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Chris, nothing on them is made correctly. Rethreading everything is not the answer. There is actual machine work involved, and pieces that are not even available from Vintique.

As for why are these still available? Probably because people still purchase them knowing they are incorrect.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 01-11-2019, 10:32 AM   #9
chrs1961815

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Chris, nothing on them is made correctly. Rethreading everything is not the answer. There is actual machine work involved, and pieces that are not even available from Vintique.

As for why are these still available? Probably because people still purchase them knowing they are incorrect.
I was just trying to improve them. They used some kind of gorilla glue really poorly and screwed up the threads. Are originals easy to find?
Old 01-11-2019, 10:37 AM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
I was just trying to improve them. They used some kind of gorilla glue really poorly and screwed up the threads. Are originals easy to find?

Again, the issue is the clamps and the rubber pads. No amount of glue or tension of screws is going to make the glass stay into the reproduction brackets.

Originals are fairly easy to find however most are un-restorable due to the metal they are made from.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 01-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #11
chrs1961815

Quote:
Again, the issue is the clamps and the rubber pads. No amount of glue or tension of screws is going to make the glass stay into the reproduction brackets.

Originals are fairly easy to find however most are un-restorable due to the metal they are made from.
Yes the originals were cast iron right? Did they warp and rust out?
Old 01-11-2019, 01:28 PM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Yes the originals were cast iron right? Did they warp and rust out?

Pot metal.

Below are a few pictures. As you can see, the original ones fit the stanchions well, however they reproduction clamp and rubber pieces are no where close to the correct shape. The first picture shows the reproduction clamp on the top, and an original on the bottom, with the correct rubber pad pictured in the center.

The 2nd picture shows the differences between the repro and the original. Note the shape. The final two pictures show how the base fits against the stanchion. Note the tang on the base on the original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3120.jpg (30.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3124.jpg (28.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3126.jpg (22.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3125.jpg (31.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5299.jpg (45.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5300.jpg (32.7 KB, 42 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 01-11-2019, 01:57 PM   #13
chrs1961815

Quote:
Pot metal.

Below are a few pictures. As you can see, the original ones fit the stanchions well, however they reproduction clamp and rubber pieces are no where close to the correct shape. The first picture shows the reproduction clamp on the top, and an original on the bottom, with the correct rubber pad pictured in the center.

The 2nd picture shows the differences between the repro and the original. Note the shape. The final two pictures show how the base fits against the stanchion. Note the tang on the base on the original.
Wow that is different. I know how unreliable pot metal is. Interesting to note that other things have the same warping issues such as the vacuum wipers.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:30 PM   #14
quickchange

Re repo w/w brackets, never had a problem , Mount ,draw lie on glass around top bracket, remove glass , drill 1/8hole through glass , Now with out drilling right through drill hole on inside of w/wing bracket, just one 1/2 insert little piece of of brass welding rod, Then fit as per normal . the pin takes the weight, never comes loose or falls off, Yes takes little time to do , PS drill glass before heat treating , no problem on safety glass, This works, not always possible to find originals , Vintique still produce the best B4 hubcaps, plus few other good bits, Derek in a hot dry NZ,
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:38 PM   #15
chrs1961815

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchange View Post
Re repo w/w brackets, never had a problem , Mount ,draw lie on glass around top bracket, remove glass , drill 1/8hole through glass , Now with out drilling right through drill hole on inside of w/wing bracket, just one 1/2 insert little piece of of brass welding rod, Then fit as per normal . the pin takes the weight, never comes loose or falls off, Yes takes little time to do , PS drill glass before heat treating , no problem on safety glass, This works, not always possible to find originals , Vintique still produce the best B4 hubcaps, plus few other good bits, Derek in a hot dry NZ,
I would not like to drill into the glass but thanks for the suggestion. I will admit that Vintique does make some quality products but they also make some that are junk.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:22 PM   #16
quickchange

When we get the glass cut , to the pattern supplied or your pattern ,the glass man drills it for you, Lets hope by complaining to companies they will improve their product, But we need to make all aware that some of their goods are not up too scratch, Does not matter which company, Although one sheet metal producer does not give a rats arse?
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:04 PM   #17
chrs1961815

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchange View Post
When we get the glass cut , to the pattern supplied or your pattern ,the glass man drills it for you, Lets hope by complaining to companies they will improve their product, But we need to make all aware that some of their goods are not up too scratch, Does not matter which company, Although one sheet metal producer does not give a rats arse?
True. I will say that they might have trouble casting the originals because of warped pot metal, but rhese have been around for years. Surely they could find a set thats not messed up. It is just pure laziness.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:39 AM   #18
Chris Haynes

The only wind wings I find are for open cars. My Tudor has 4 holes in each door for mounting some sort of wind wing. Does anybody make them for closed cars?
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:44 AM   #19
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
The only wind wings I find are for open cars. My Tudor has 4 holes in each door for mounting some sort of wind wing. Does anybody make them for closed cars?
It was only a few weeks ago I was looking at a set of WWs on a 1928 Tudor. I don't know whether they were original or repros from years ago. I need a set for my latest project and originality is not important so I'll make my own. The glass will swing on pivot so it deflects air inside or deflects it away from the window, just like he ones I saw.