Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-11-2018, 02:49 PM   #21
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Rear Panhard Bar ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
I'm always struck by how if you ask enough people you will hear exactly opposite opinions on any issue having to do with Model As. I wonder if there is even a short list of things that absolutely everyone agrees on?
No harm meant Steve S or George Miller ... I just post my experience . My sedans have never swayed in sharp turns like my roadster did . The roadster had it bad . the panhard bar removed the sway . My wife said there was no sway at all , She was the one driving and scaired the h-ll out of me when she accellerated around a sharp turn . Maybe the rear spring shackles were not tight enough , maybe it was the improved power of the engine . Our sedans are stock . Any way , the panhard bar completely solved the problem . There isn't many things that I have ever posted that I didn't have to defend at one time or another . No offence !!! insert smiley face .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:49 PM   #22
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
I once did a valve re-grind on a car called a "DYNA-PANHARD"---The Owners' Manual was in FRENCH!
Bill Can'tread
Bill,

Road & Track Magazine used to review all the European cars. I remember they did an article on the Dyna-Panhard back in the '50's. I might have seen a couple of them but I don't think many were imported.

Road & Track used to also describe the suspensions of the sports cars and European race road racing cars. Many of them had Panhard Bars because they had to minimize the body roll when the cars went into the turns at high speeds.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:54 PM   #23
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
'short list' ?
Yes....very short , like oil usage ! Or how to spell Model eh .

Q: If Panhard is French origin, what is Pannard origin ?
Misspelled... or fat fingers

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 02-11-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:25 PM   #24
steve s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
No harm meant Steve S or George Miller ... I just post my experience . My sedans have never swayed in sharp turns like my roadster did . The roadster had it bad . the panhard bar removed the sway . My wife said there was no sway at all , She was the one driving and scaired the h-ll out of me when she accellerated around a sharp turn . Maybe the rear spring shackles were not tight enough , maybe it was the improved power of the engine . Our sedans are stock . Any way , the panhard bar completely solved the problem . There isn't many things that I have ever posted that I didn't have to defend at one time or another . No offence !!! insert smiley face .
No offense taken, Purdy, I totally believe you. I just find it fascinating how individualistic our cars can be. Mechanical things aren't supposed to be like that.

I used to live in Gadsden, by the way.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:28 PM   #25
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Purdy,

I'm a a newcomer to Model A's, so I think everyone's opinion is appreciated here, certainly by me. It's great to be able to get everyone's opinion and make up my mind on a lot of issues.

I was just watching a story on the Major League Network about Tony Gwynn of the San Diego Padres who was a great hitter. During his career, a baseball analyst brought him together, on a radio broadcast, with another San Diego legend Ted Williams who was a great hitter with the Boston Red Sox.

At first Tony was in awe of Williams. Williams used to always ask other Ball players about hitting, and Tony said he was afraid of giving the wrong answer. As the interview progressed, he began to realize that his experience was different but it did not make his approach to hitting any less valid.

Ironically, Tony actually became a better hitter after that interview. I think it shows that no matter how well you think you know a subject or how successful you are, you can always learn from other people's experience.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:30 PM   #26
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
No offense taken, Purdy, I totally believe you. I just find it fascinating how individualistic our cars can be. Mechanical things aren't supposed to be like that.

I used to live in Gadsden, by the way.
None taken here. I was just saying how I think the front one works.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:46 PM   #27
Purdy Swoft

I was most likely under estimating the value of the front panhard bar . I did install both front and rear .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:22 AM   #28
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Misspelled... or fat fingers
Your close or more likely correct ! Berts is the origin, I believe, as that's the only place I've seen pannard bar !
Since reading this thread, I'm going to check that equipment out for the rear of my roadster. Sounds good, if it works as some here have stated ! Model As sit rather high and do lean a bit.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:20 AM   #29
Pat Martone

I hope you can clear-up my confusion about the use of the rear panhard bar on a town sedan that already has Ken Davis's tube shocks on it. According to both "bettlesr" and "smog tech" in this thread they indicate the panhard bar can be used with tube shocks, but when I read the installation instructions via the Snyder's link included in the response from "y-blockhead", they say in big bold letters panhard bar "CAN NOT" be used with modern style cylinder shocks. Is this a mistake in the Snyder instructions or do I need to get a different rear panhard bar from a different supplier? Thanks.
Pat Martone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:30 AM   #30
updraught

"In the spring of 1934 , the bodies are changed at the windshield receiving a little extra glass in the corners and improves vision, it is the Panoramic. In 1936 , appears the Dynamic." ....

"The car, called the Dyna , is presented at the Paris Salon in October 1946 , but the production will start in 1948 ( 1,350 copies produced that first year)."

https://www.automania.be/files/Image...0-%2071989.jpg

Seems to handle OK. Must have a Panhard rod.

https://www.automania.be/historiques...levassor-story
Click on the union jack for the American translation.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:54 AM   #31
V4F

panhard bar a must with coil overs
Old 02-12-2018, 01:42 PM   #32
bettlesr

I had no problem using the panhard rod in the rear. The front rod was a different story. with tubular shocks all around the front bar wanted to go through the side of the front shocks. I had to reposition the front shocks. Also the mounting assembly on the front made the chassis bend in the front even though it fits between the shock mount and the chassis. I had to add a spacer between the bottom of the chassis and the mounting assembly and the put an extra bolt through that.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:39 PM   #33
Binger

I wouldn't think it would make any difference if you ran tube shocks, stock shocks or even friction shocks as long as there wasn't any clearance issues. Was the clearance issue the reason why? I like the responses here about making the handling better. I am considering one on my sedan project and installing one on the rear of my Hot Rod banger coupe.
Binger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:59 PM   #34
duke36

Recollection is that Snyder's had an error in their instructions. (but should check with them or Brattons who may still sell the same similar set up).
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:59 PM   #35
don3527

The A-5312 rear panhard bar kit that we make will work with the modern cylinder shocks. We fixed the note about that in our catalog description but we missed fixing it in the downloadable instruction sheet.

Thanks,
Don Snyder
don3527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:45 PM   #36
pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
I wouldn't think it would make any difference if you ran tube shocks, stock shocks or even friction shocks as long as there wasn't any clearance issues. Was the clearance issue the reason why? I like the responses here about making the handling better. I am considering one on my sedan project and installing one on the rear of my Hot Rod banger coupe.
As long as you realise a panhard bar cures wallowing , NOT roll as has been suggested here.

A sway bar is for roll.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:51 PM   #37
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by don3527 View Post
The A-5312 rear panhard bar kit that we make will work with the modern cylinder shocks. We fixed the note about that in our catalog description but we missed fixing it in the downloadable instruction sheet.

Thanks,
Don Snyder
Don, Consider checking the spelling' also. P-A-N-H-A-R-D
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:41 AM   #38
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
As long as you realise a panhard bar cures wallowing , NOT roll as has been suggested here.

A sway bar is for roll.

Right. my understanding is the panhard bar is for keeping the rear and or front axle from moving from side to side, not help body roll. I also know you need one in the front with a cross steering car to prevent bump steer.

Last edited by Binger; 02-14-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Binger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:53 PM   #39
pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Right. my understanding is the panhard bar is for keeping the rear and or front axle from moving from side to side, not help body roll. I also know you need one in the front with a cross steering car to prevent bump steer.
Yes, if the panhard bar is setuo perfectly, it will stop bump steer.

But I think when Henry first added the panhard bar when cross steer arrived, he was adding it to stop the drag link pushing the whole front end across.

A Model A drag link pushes forward, not sideways, so until cross steer, the driver just put up with the wallowing , not knowing any better at the time,

Last edited by pooch; 02-14-2018 at 01:06 PM.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:18 PM   #40
Synchro909

Does anybody have a picture they can post of a panhard bar installed please?