Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
Don Rogers

Default 3rd printing of The 1935-36 Ford Book

There has been a 3rd printing of The 1935-36 Ford Book and it is now available for sale on The Early Ford V-8 Club web site. The corrections and revisions addressed by the 3rd printing are posted on the corrections section of that web site also.

Don Rogers Co-Author
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
John T

Default Re: 3rd printing of The 1935-36 Ford Book

I sure wish I could get a 35-36 Pickup truck book that the V8 Club decided not to let Lawson & Jerry finish and the Club print. I know they worked hard getting info and etc. and to have the V8 Club then change their mind and pull the rug out from under neath them!
John T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
FL&WVMIKE

John T ......................
That was a pretty crappy deal, pulled by the Early V8 Ford Club. Everyone should let them know, too !
It is a Non-Profit Club and our dues should not be used to build a large bank account. The talk is that they have over $400,000.00 in the bank. Yet, they worry that this book will lose money.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rogers View Post
There has been a 3rd printing of The 1935-36 Ford Book and it is now available for sale on The Early Ford V-8 Club web site. The corrections and revisions addressed by the 3rd printing are posted on the corrections section of that web site also.

Don Rogers Co-Author
Don, do you have any idea how many copies of the first and second printings of the 1935-36 Ford Book have been sold over the years by the EFV8C/A?

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
Straightpipes

Don, I just recieved the book. I really appreciate all the work you guys put into it..... Thanks
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
Barry-ct

It's a shame to pull the plug on the book. With the laws governing non profits ( I was a president of a local chapter of a non profit car club.) they are pretty lenient as to the amount of cash allowed. These laws should be tightened to prevent possible abuse. I am not saying any hanky panky is going in this case.
I have read all the comments on thier web page and it's not explaining the reasons in much detail. I personally, feel that organization is biased against trucks. I had joined the Conn. chapter 10 years ago and attended one of thier local meets. When I said that I had a 50 F-1 pickup, I really got the cold shoulder. The guys with the woodies, 40 Fords, etc... were not friendly towards me. I felt like I was invading sacred territory. Needless to say, I did not re-up the next year. It's a shame, as most of the restorable cars are already done and out of sight dollar wise. Trucks are a part of the Flathead history and should be welcomed in. I like this site as there are a good bunch of people and the car and truck people get along. As it should be. Anyway, I feel the book should be published and even if the Early V8 people only have 1/2 of the money in thier coffers, they can afford to put the book out. Even it it breaks even on sales, It will make thier financial page look better in the eyes of the IRS!
I could go on about this, but I won't..........

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
oldbugger

Don, I use my copy for reference often, thanks for your work. I wish it was twice as thick with pictures.
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #8
Lawson Cox

Great book Don. My hard back copy is even autographed. lol
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:37 PM   #9
Steel 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
Great book Don. My hard back copy is even autographed. lol

And I hope you will autograph mine!
Steel 35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:50 AM   #10
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John T View Post
I sure wish I could get a 35-36 Pickup truck book that the V8 Club decided not to let Lawson & Jerry finish and the Club print. I know they worked hard getting info and etc. and to have the V8 Club then change their mind and pull the rug out from under neath them!

i wish that i could get a 35-36 pickup book also. i bought a 35-36 book and don't have a car!

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #11
ken ct
BANNED

The club should take the profits from the 3rd printing of the 35-36 book and apply it to the truck book. It did a disservice to the members of this club doing what they did. ken ct. And all the other books their making a profit on. Is this a members club or a BOD club.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #12
Fe26

Mr Rodgers, congratulations on your third reprint. I note that you are listed on the 'Staff' roster of The Early Ford V8 Club of America, as such I assume you are in regular contact with the current Board of Directors.

I would like to take this opportunity to advise you of the displeasure, many members of this forum have to the news the project on the definitive and authoritive book, The 1935-36 Ford Pickup Truck has been cancelled. In so conveying our concerns to you we hope you will read all the posts made on two threads running concurrently on the Fordbarn Forum. Furthermore we hope you will convey either officially (preferred) or unofficially our concerns regarding the cancellation of this project to the BOD. Our plea to you is to inform the BOD of our concerns, and for the BOD to reinstate this most worthy project.

I wish to draw your specific attention to the points I have made in my opinions and observations in my posts. My voice is one of many who have made similar points regarding the seemingly cavalier action of the BOD.

I'm sure I speak for most here when I tell you, we are displeased with the way the BOD informed the authors, and the abandonment of the project on seemingly spurious grounds.

We would also like to be informed of exactly how the BOD determined the outcome. Points have been raised in both Fordbarn threads on matters of; procedure, fairness, the clubs charter, and the (questionable) method in determining how the project would not be financially viable.

In this final point I will conclude with your current situation. Did the BOD know when you first published your book that printing would eventually run to three editions? Of course it didn't, who can foresee the future? To abandon the project based on these flimsy grounds is shortsighted and in no-ones best interest. The authors are now persuing other avenues for publication. This is very bad news for the club, what should have been a club sanctioned document and the definitive reference book, will now be out of club hands, this is an abrogation of the clubs responsibilites to it's members and to its charter. It will I suggest also be an ongoing sore, and the club will not be regarded well when this book is published by others to success and aclaim. The question will then be 'how could the club, with the book in its hand, let it fall into the hands of others, through want of duty and care'. I suspect laughter will be heard in some circles, and it won't be ours, the membership of The Early Ford V8 Club of America.

Last edited by Fe26; 12-14-2011 at 01:12 AM.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:42 PM   #13
DavidG

Fe26

With all due respect, I believe that your request of Don Rogers is out of bounds. He is no more privy to the details and/or rationale of the Club's Board of Directors than you are. This is matter between Jerry and Lawson and the Board and it patently unfair to try and insert Don into the middle of it.

The availability of the 3rd printing of the '35-'36 passenger car book at this time is an unfortunate coincidence and one that I'm sure Don regrets, nothing more.

David
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:14 PM   #14
jerry grayson

Don Rogers does not have any say over the actions of the EFV8 club BOD. He has been very helpful to Lawson and me with our pickup book. He has given us much guidance and information with our work and has been very supportive.
" He does not have a dog in this fight"!!
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:32 AM   #15
JM 35 Sedan

Let's put the train back on the rails here...the original post had nothing whatsoever to do with the '35-'36 Ford pickup truck book. Don Rogers did a super job on the 1935-36 Ford Book for passenger cars. He also does a super job of answering questions here on those same vehicles. He was merely informing everyone here that a more updated version of his book is now available. Let's stop hijacking his original post with another topic.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 12-14-2011, 01:36 AM   #16
Fe26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Fe26

With all due respect, I believe that your request of Don Rogers is out of bounds. He is no more privy to the details and/or rationale of the Club's Board of Directors than you are. This is matter between Jerry and Lawson and the Board and it patently unfair to try and insert Don into the middle of it.

The availability of the 3rd printing of the '35-'36 passenger car book at this time is an unfortunate coincidence and one that I'm sure Don regrets, nothing more.

David
I have asked Mr Rodgers (whom I assume has a way of contacting club officials) to convey a message to whomsoever he has contacts with. Nothing more. I have not asked of him to petition the club, nor have I asked him to take a partisan position. I have simply asked him to be a message bearer.

I do not think this course of action is unfair, rude or compromising of Mr Rodgers. Furthermore, until we hear of Mr Cox and Mr Grayson, and whether they will write formally to the club, or not, I consider my action reasonable. In stating clearly mine and others concerns, I hope to promote our concerns to the BOD.

To reiterate; the most powerful way to get the BOD to reconsider this project is for Messers Cox and Grayson to write a formal letter. If they choose not to write, then others (myself included) will attempt to open a dialogue. However, as I don't have a horse in this race, my complaint may fall on deaf ears.

In asking Mr Rodgers to convey the message, I have attempted to inform club officals in a semi-formal way of our concerns. I have previously said; the clubs officers are not required to respond to comments made on forums, they are however required to respond to a letter from the authors. If no one does anything, nothing happens. In the taking of any action, there will always be dissenters and appeasers who argue to the contrary, I am not one of those.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:18 AM   #17
Fe26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry grayson View Post
Don Rogers does not have any say over the actions of the EFV8 club BOD. He has been very helpful to Lawson and me with our pickup book. He has given us much guidance and information with our work and has been very supportive.
" He does not have a dog in this fight"!!
Jerry, I suspected Mr Rodgers has no sway with the BOD as he is not listed as a director, however he is listed on the clubs list of officers as an adviser. In this regard I assume he has contact with other office bearers and perhaps members of the BOD.

I also appreciate his efforts in helping you, and now that you have made us aware of that, I am now most hopeful Mr Rodgers will take the extra step I have asked of him, and that is, to convey to whomever he can within the club, our concerns regarding the BOD's abandonment of your book. His help in this regard would be in addition to the help he has already given you, and we hope his additional help will have the desired results.

May I now inquire of you, do you intend to write a letter to the BOD. I do not ask this question in a frivolous way. I have made myself quite clear in my posts, of why a letter from you and Lawson is necessary. If you do not intend to proceed in this fashion, would you please let those of us who are concerned for you and the project know. If on the other hand, you are intending to write a letter, you have much support here, as many are concerned at the way you have been treated, and, the denial to all of us of your book.

If you are intending to publish with another publisher would you again, let us know. In this way we can anticipate the release of the book.

To conclude, should you require pictures and some information of the 'Colonial Pickups' in New Zealand, for your upcoming book, I would be happy to assist you.

Last edited by Fe26; 12-14-2011 at 02:33 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:43 AM   #18
Don Rogers

Fe26
First of all my name is Rogers not Rodgers…. Who do I have the pleasure of conversing with?
Secondly, I do not intend to do your bidding on this issue with the BOD or anyone else. I have expressed my opinion as a Club member to those I chose to discuss the issue with and have had private conversations with both Jerry and Lawson. I prefer not to talk to the lynch mob gathering outside the jail, but wait for the judge to get to town.
If I seem to be annoyed with you, I am. You have hijacked my Book announcement and seem intent to monopolize the thread. I think all parties would be better served if you start your own message (thread) and see where that goes. I also suggest that you express your opinions on the Early Ford V-8 Clubs web site and contact your International Representative Peter Hibbert (Australia) or Bob Woodford (New Zealand)
Regards,
Don Rogers
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:39 AM   #19
David J

What exactly in this announcement invited the mess above ? Secondly Don is a VERY VALUEABLE asset on this site with his deep well of knowledge & he is willing to share this with others on a voulnteer basis here . Why are you trying so hard to PISS HIM OFF HERE ?????? If this misplaced ranting causes one of the best info sources to back off from helping here then YOU are the bigger problem . Like pointed out above you folks that cannot stop jumping up & down screaming hystericially about the pickup book should START YOUR OWN THREAD . I don't like it either but this is NOT the the thread for it . Jeeziz Beeziz folks THINK a little here . PS Don , How can I get a hardcover signed copy ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rogers View Post

Don Rogers Co-Author

Last edited by David J; 12-14-2011 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Fergot ta ask bout a book
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #20
Fe26

Mr Rogers, please accept my apology for misspelling your name, it is sometimes the case that when one has a friend with a similar name, that spelling will be automatically used when addressing another with a similar name.

I am both heartened and dismayed by the rest of your response. My rational in asking you to pass on my message was; to inform the club of the many members of Fordbarn and their concerns for the author’s treatment, and the status of the book. This approach was akin to stopping someone in the street, (whom one knows to be connected) and asking a favour. I have asked and you have said no, fair enough.

I am pleased to hear you are working behind the scenes. In doing so I hope you will convey the opinions of the many Fordbarn members, to whomever you speak to. Lynch Mob! Judge? Colourful language, but inappropriate, if anything, I would hope my observations and opinions would be likened to those of counsel. The points I have made are reasonable and thoughtful, in promoting these opinions I am expressing the thoughts of many in a structured and concise way.

In monopolizing your thread, I do not resile. I and others have taken the opportunity to 'stop you in the street’; in this we are being fair and reasonable. If you have taken umbrage that is regrettable, however please be assured that from my readings of the messages given to you by other 'hijackers', there have been no harsh words used against you. Rather the opposite.

Starting another thread would be pointless, and I suspect you know that. Why divide and scatter? To what purpose would another thread serve? In the threads already running we have received little updated information from the authors. In fairness to them (and you) there may be machinations going on behind the scenes. If this is so, it is not necessary that we know all of the details, however it would be polite to inform those of us who are concerned, and who have responded to the author’s plight, that something is happening.

I have been composing a formal letter to the club, so I thank you for your suggestion of approaching my local representative, I shall cc the letter. As I have repeatedly stated, a letter from a concerned member has little weight compared to a letter from the authors.

If anyone is taking a concerted approach in organising or making representations to the club, a petition for example, would you please let us know. It is fairly obvious that many voices raised together will have more effect than the lone voice. For the time being, it seems that those of us who have already written or intend to write to the club will be lone voices. And then Mr Rogers, we may indeed see where that goes. It may be that it goes nowhere, however it will not be for want of our trying, and try I shall.

Until I hear to the contrary I will 'stop people in the street', I will take a pro-active approach, and I will make no apologies for doing so. The EFV8CA has been circumspect, and has abrogated its responsibilities to its members in regard of the book, and its treatment of the authors. Perhaps this situation can be put right, perhaps not. To paraphrase a famous quote: All that is necessary for a bad decision to remain unaltered is for good men to do nothing.

Regards

Fe26

PS. I am pleased your book is in its third edition, and I am pleased your valuable knowledge has been committed to print. In this way knowledge and understanding is advanced, and a book is a proven and effective way to inform others who also have an interest in our cars.

Dedication and committment such as yours is respected and admired, your efforts are now available for all of us to see and appreciate. Your efforts have also given our club a valuable resource, which has also become a definitive document. This is no small thing, this is important, the club has recognised your efforts by publishing your work, and in this regard the club is also to be admired.

Last edited by Fe26; 12-14-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:38 AM   #21
VeryTangled

This book is invaluable, I have a second edition. Thanks Don for letting us know.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:03 AM   #22
JM 35 Sedan

Jeff, that is a great book. I am constantly going back to read or look up detailed information.
I believe the update information for each edition is given on the EFV8C/A website.

John...(reporting live from downtown OC, MD )

Old 06-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #23
danliveshere

Congratulations Don. I refer to my 2nd edition all the time.
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote