Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-25-2017, 03:40 AM   #441
Gary-UK

Default Re: Truck based woody

I've really enjoyed following this thread, and really love the way the truck has turned out!

Also I saw this for sale over here and thought you might like to see it...

https://www.handh.co.uk/buy/c1949-fo...e-estate/14355
Gary-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:30 PM   #442
GB SISSON

Very cool Gary! Quite similar in a lot of ways to mine. Even the belt line. Also the doors being about 4" above the running boards. I'd love to see a couple of photos of the one in your avatar. Does it remain unrestored? Thanks
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:07 PM   #443
hook00pad

I've really enjoyed your build thread. I can identify with it quite well, as I helped my brother "restore"? a '46 woodie back in the late 60's which we had rescued out of my Grandad's back yard. It seems that a gentleman owed my grandad Ples a little money on his grocery store tab. My grand parents ran a country strore at Monkey's Eyebrow, Ky. (True story). Grandad took the car for the money owed and it sat in his yard for several years. If I remember correctly, the car only had about 35,000 miles on it and was very intact, even though the roof covering had deteriorated, ruining some of the wood. I think Charley paid Grandad $60 for it.

Didn't do much to it mechanically, except for brakes and tires and such. We sanded and prepped the body metal and Charles did most of the wood repair himself. He eliminated the rear doors making the Woodie a two-door. It turned out pretty nice for a teen ager first attempt, and was painted Corvette Yellow. He was proud of it and drove it to high school some and during the summer of '66. He started to college at UK in the fall so the Woodie went to the chicken house for a several year siesta. A neighbor who was a body man bought it years later to restore, but never did. I never heard where the car wound up.
hook00pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:11 PM   #444
hook00pad

Good Memories!

Charley also acquired a '48 Tudor Super Deluxe parts car about that time and never did anything with it. He wound up giving me the '48, which I have built into a hot rod with an OT engine/drive train.

It's still a work in progress. They're never quite finished, are they.

Al Hook
hook00pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:30 PM   #445
GB SISSON

The baltic birch for interior panels comes in metric sizes and I got 3 mm instead if 6mm which is near the 1/4"I had hoped for so I switched over to some other areas. I have been working on the instrument panel and the directional signal system. I had to fix my gas gauge so I decided to reface all the instruments with a set of stick ons from Macs. Came out pretty well. I had a couple of 'memory mishaps' where I left the push-pull ignition switch on and drained the battery so I installed an idiot light in an existing hole above the switch. Today I fabricated some brackets for rear directional lamps. I had seen a 1926 model T rear lamp and thought it was just what I was seeking for rear directional lamps so I ordered a couple from Snyders. Beautifully made. For the front I ended up making a set of 2 pole socket parking lights, as some I had found on a parts truck were not worth refurbishing. I rebuilt a steering column mounted aftermarket blinker switch that I've had for years and got a flasher from napa. The system tests well, and maybe I will get a chance to install some or all of the components tomorrow. I will get some pics of the system over the weekend. Here's some pics of my altered toyota landcruiser door latches which I had from years ago, and the homemade door strikers and the instrument panel. My plan is to work on all these interior systems through the winter and pull them out as completed and tested components so I can clean up and paint the interior for next summer's excursions. Decent seats and of course glass will be on the list as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tail spot and latches 098.jpg (29.0 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg tail spot and latches 086.jpg (34.4 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg speedometer retore 010.jpg (47.0 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg speedometer retore 011.jpg (35.9 KB, 81 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 11-25-2017, 05:09 AM   #446
Mart

Nice work GB.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:17 AM   #447
flatford8

Always look forward to reading your posts!!...I see the gauge says the gas tank is full.....Let’s go for a ride!!!!!...... I hope you and your family enjoy the holidays....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:51 AM   #448
Fordors

Here is a scan showing dovetail placement, and yes, all of them were above the latch on woodies as compared to below on the steel bodied cars. Kinda makes one wonder if there was a particular reason that was done.
Of course a pocket needs to be routed for the dovetail but in addition a 3/32" deep relief will make it flush mounted. The d/t's on my '32 coupe are screwed into wood B pillars and after 85 years still good and tight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan_0022.jpg (61.7 KB, 96 views)
Old 12-12-2017, 10:24 PM   #449
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordors View Post
Here is a scan showing dovetail placement, and yes, all of them were above the latch on woodies as compared to below on the steel bodied cars. Kinda makes one wonder if there was a particular reason that was done.
Of course a pocket needs to be routed for the dovetail but in addition a 3/32" deep relief will make it flush mounted. The d/t's on my '32 coupe are screwed into wood B pillars and after 85 years still good and tight.
Thanks Fordors! That's just what I was looking for. It will probably be after the Holidays before I can make a router jig and let them into the door posts, but this gives me a good idea how to place them. The door latching has gone really well, but I know that things tend to sag and get misaligned as the years and miles roll by. The dovetails I bought have an adjustable wedge on the male side and this has to make installation easier.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:08 AM   #450
jerseyboy

GB,

Fordor has you covered, but here is an additional view if it helps.

Keep v-8ing and 4-banging!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 16.jpg (19.6 KB, 103 views)
Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another
To see if I'd do a little good,
But ain't no place to put it
'Less I perforate the hood.

Wanted, lower side sections of 32 radiator cowl.
jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:47 PM   #451
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboy View Post
GB,

Fordor has you covered, but here is an additional view if it helps.

Keep v-8ing and 4-banging!
Jerseyboy, There is no such thing as too much information before one plunges a router into a fixed door post..........
Old 12-16-2017, 07:42 PM   #452
RKS.PA

GB, at this point for you, it's almost like open heart surgery!!!

Dick.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:13 PM   #453
GB SISSON

Open heart surgery was sooo 4 years ago for me. This morning I had a chance to goof off for a while and it's very hard to share this whole thread, so I made this short slideshow.. See if this link brings you to it. https://spark.adobe.com/video/M0ynvLlPj2GCC

Last edited by GB SISSON; 12-21-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:13 PM   #454
38bill

Great slide show! Thanks.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:58 PM   #455
Mart

Great little slideshow!

Who else said "Woody" out loud at the end? I did.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:19 PM   #456
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

GB great job ,good movie to Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:53 PM   #457
mhsprecher

Thanks for taking us along.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:02 PM   #458
GB SISSON

The canned music that adobe spark has is sort of lame, but I don't know how to download something I would like. Like I said, if a friend or someone I meet wants to know how I built this thing, I hate to send them to this thread. I personally have had a ball writing all this and visiting with all of you along the way, but if you aren't a ford 'nut', it may be hard to wade through 2 1/2 years of this thread. Just sayin', and thanks for the nice comments. GB
Old 12-21-2017, 09:27 PM   #459
Graeme / New Zealand

GB bloody great job! Thanks for posting.

Graeme

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:08 PM   #460
cas3

great show! that truck is really a work of art to be proud of
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote