Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-24-2013, 11:23 PM   #21
peewee2you

Default Re: Any ideas?

Just wanted to give an update, one thing for sure was a bad fuel pump,installed new pump but had a bear of a time with Line from carb to pump to stop leaking.
I did order fuel line from one of the vendors and although it was relatively inexpensive, I didn't realize I should have just gone to the hardware store and bought tubing fittings and compression fittings. I have not done much tube bending, and it was going well, but once of are a little off,it's hard to re-correct it, so scrapped that idea, manage to get old fitting off line and use new fitting and compression ring on the end that wouldn't stop leaking, but I also realize if line is not shoved in far enough could give you grief, because can cause compression ring noy to seat good if line is short. This side gave me trouble last time I put it together, so various attempt at stop leaking, and a few words of choice I got it. I believe the line might be short a tad on that one side, had to push line n and hold and tighten. Took it out for a run today, wow big difference, I don't think the old pump was eve filling the whole bowl, and new pump filled up solid. So now will have to see, if it will star after sitting a we days, and gas doesn't leak out from anywhere, and the fuel pump has been the whole problem, like i think it was.

Does anyone know if these cars used a carb to fuel pump line that the line was flared at the ends and the nut fitting would pull it Ina's far as it would need to go,instead of the compression ring over the line route.

I want to thank all who responded with comments, advice, ideas and offers.
peewee2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:14 AM   #22
ford38v8

Peewee, no flares were used of Fords. The line you get at a hardware store would be copper or aluminum, niether of which is correct or safe to use. The line you got from one of our regular suppliers would be rolled copper plated steel, original equipment. Some guys prefer to solder the compression ring at the correct position, due to a percieved weakness at the edge of the roll on the line, sometimes felt with your fingernail. Soldering was not done at the factory, just by less experienced hobbyists. These lines can be easilly bent with tubing bender springs: (may not be correct name?)
Old 03-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #23
peewee2you

Ford38v8, that makes sense, thanks for that clarification on the rolled copper line, i just need more practice and the soldier idea for the next time.
peewee2you is offline   Reply With Quote