Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #1
arkusvt

Default kirby-shadowrods engine

what ever happened to this project? i spoke with mark two years ago at l-ville and he said things were going well, they had done extensive testing on one going cross country and that engines would be available in the near future. spoke with a number of flathead people at hershey last week; no-one knew anything absolute about it. did hear that porosity might be the problem.
arkusvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: kirby-shadowrods engine

If I had to guess, aluminum might be the problem. Like you, I've been searching around but also have had no luck finding any new info from the HAMB or any other sites.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

I talked to Mark last year at the EFV8C/A CNM. He was driving his '34 coupe with his new FH engine which is his test vehicle. I'm not sure what is holding up the sale of these new engines. I have heard the price will be in the 14k ballpark. Too much for me to spend.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
richard rink

Mark Kirby attended the 2012 NSRA event in Louisville this past August. He was driving the '34 and said it was performing very well. If I remember correctly, he had logged 24K miles on the engine. No mention of when the engine may be in production. Richard
richard rink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
Ol' Ron

Considering the price of engines foorom some builders, I think 14K is a good price. However, not including much labor we're building a 294 (3 5/16 x 4 1/4) and so far it's just alittle over 4K, I don't expect it to go over 5????? I should bet paid for supervising. Might write another book on how we did it.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
Matt in Alameda

If you write another book Ol'Ron I'll buy that one too!! Matt in Alameda
Matt in Alameda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
joel

V8 Bob and I also talked to him at the cruise in Auburn, and he hinted it could be this (past) spring. One thing to consider about the price; how much would you have in a blown FH? His HP/TQ numbers were in that ballpark even if not equal. He ( mark) said that they wanted to test the prototype with a blower; as much for stress as anything ( my opinion ).
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
Lawson Cox

Query: What are Shadowrods????

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
PeterC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
Query: What are Shadowrods????
Hot Rod Shop - see link and tie to Kirby - MotorCityFlatheads

http://www.shadowrods.com/
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
bluardun

I would like to cover a few items that have been discussed here in the past week. First, if you want to know about Mark Kirby, and the progress of their new all aluminum flathead, why not call him on the phone and talk to him ???
Mark deserves all the credits we, flathead users, can besto upon him. He has done extensive reserch and development on the FORD flathead. He was a great sorce when they wrote the book on HOW TO BUILD A FLATHEAD. Mark has devoted his entire life to making improvments for the flathead, and our hobby. Hats Off & Thanks !
Now: let's cover the cost of one of his "new" flatheads. Yes, it's pricey for the weak at heart. However. If you really want something wonderful, "you gota step up". His is a big boy toy! Compaired to the cost of a new aluminum ROUSH motor, or a performance aluminum Chevy crate motor, how about a mopar Hemi; guess what ? Marks flathead is a bargain

Now, back to an earlier post. Which was a means of stirring conversation, and interesting. Why someone doesn't cast of new block. It's simple. There aren't enough people to purchase enough of them to amertize the cost of production.

Let me revisit Mark Kerby. Mark aka Motor City Flatheads were the first people to go to France and buy the "french flatheads". His deal was for "all" the engines they had.
Later there were several hundred blocks discovered. As typical, they were sold thru an importer to someone else. Another story. Again: Thanks Mark for all you have done for so many of us.
Bill Herbert
bluardun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #11
hotrodsteve

Isn't Don Ferguson selling an aluminum flathead block?
hotrodsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #12
arkusvt

don ferguson's aluminum block is on the market but ardun only. i don't think anyone would doubt kirby's dedication to the world of flatheads. i was just curious as to what the holdup is with this engine. mark indicated to me, and others, that it was coming "soon". in my case that was over two years ago. the question isn't kirby's dedication or if 14k is cheap or expensive, the question is what seems to be the problem, if there is one. if so, can or will it be corrected and when will we be able to purchase one.
arkusvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:12 AM   #13
JM 35 Sedan

I don't believe that anyone posting here in this thread was questioning Mark Kirby's past accomplishments, his dedication over the years to the Flathead Ford V8 movement, or attempting to take any credit away from him for anything. Phoning Mark directly would probably get no more information on this subject than I have already gotten from him in the past, such as at the 75th anniversary celebration of the '32 Ford and the Flathead V8 at Dearborn, MI in 2007, several NSRA shows in York, PA, or last year at the Early Ford V8 Club Meet in Auburn, IN. The answer is always "it's coming soon". I have to believe there are enough "big toy boys" out there who would buy one of these engines if they were available. So.... the original question still remains...."what's happening with this project?" When will these engines be available?

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #14
rotorwrench

It seems we will either have to wait till the engine is produced or we will hear very little about it until time makes us forget about it. It would be interesting to know the details but most business vertures always boil down to capital investment.

I've always figured if a flathead block was ever recast, whether it was OEM cast iron type or highly re-engineered aluminum small block type, that it would likely be done by someone with unlimited funds and no expectation of profit. Getting money backers on this type of project is probably a nightmare. You all have an idea about what the 1940 Ford Coupe body went through to get into production so you probably have an idea what the engine block problems might be.

I truely hope Mark Kirby and all involved get to the goal that they have work so hard for. It's an uphill fight in this economic climate. They may need someone with deep pockets that really loves old Fords to get this project on the road.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote