Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2018, 12:59 PM   #1
Steve_KS

Default Uhaul Auto Transport & Tudor

Hello

I’ve been reading old posts about trailering lately and learned a lot but still have some specific questions for anyone that’s used an Uhaul Auto Transport (4 wheels off the ground). I’m trailering a quite nice ’30 Tudor, 500 miles, with the uhaul and a newer 4 door F150.

- Does anyone know if the tire nets on the trailer will work with 19” wheels?
- I don’t see a lot of places on the auto transport hook straps to if not using the tire nets. Has anyone used axle straps with a uhaul and if so what did you tie them to on the trailer?
- Is there an axle strap design that works better than the others with an A or the uhaul?
- I was thinking about getting some plastic cling wrap like they wrap pallets with to put in one door over the vinyl top and in the other door. I’ve heard trailering can damage vinyl tops especially when you go past a semi on a 2 lane road.
- Would putting this plastic wrap over the grill, fender fronts, windshield… help with small debris kicked up by the tow vehicle, I’m thinking sand or bugs.
- Should I buy one of those hitch mounted mud flaps that goes across the whole back? Anyone know if they can be rented somewhere? Will the pickup really kick up much debris high enough to get to the car on the trailer?
- For padding axle straps to save the paint is 1 thin rag ok or will it promote slipping?

Sorry for all the questions I’ve never done this before and I want it to go smoothly as possible.

Thanks
Steve_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:33 PM   #2
Corley

Default Re: Uhaul Auto Transport & Tudor

Top damage only occurs when you are going faster than you should be going. UHaul say's to only travel at 55mph, and that is normal model A driving speed. If you have a led foot, well...

As to the wheel straps, the ones on my personal car hauler trailer worked ok when I brought Elvira home. I also did a safety strap at both axles just in case, ust wrapped it around the axles. Easy peasy, and the car can bounce along on it's own springs. I forgot to strap the manual wiper down good, and it left a mark on the windshield, but that was the only issue.

Yes, you may see the vinyl top balloon up a bit, but that is normal. Be more fun to just drive the car though, and cheaper too.
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:10 PM   #3
Cool Hand Lurker

I have used the U-Haul auto transport trailer many times and the wheel straps that are on the trailer work fine. Really simple to hook up. I also put a tie-down strap from the rear axle to any point on the rear of the trailer that is convenient just to keep it from possibly rolling forward even though that has never happened.
The only trouble I ever had with a U-Haul trailer was when the automatic brake system was inoperable and then it was just a little harder to stop. It was not a big problem.
I would not hesitate to rent a U-Haul trailer.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:19 PM   #4
Keith True

My tire bonnets work fine on 19 and 21 inch wheels.They say they are for up to 16,but a bonnet meant to go over a fat 16 easily goes over a skinny 19.Plastic wrap and wind don't mix.You will not believe how abrasive that stuff can be on a car in the wind.In a perfect world,with money no object,an enclosed hauler is nice.You can what-if yourself to death wondering what might happen.Tie it on and go.I prefer night running myself.Less traffic,less DOT,and I wouldn't be doing anything but sleeping anyway.The U-Haul trailers are kind of close-coupled,short tongued,things flying off your tires tend to go under the trailer.They are nice trailers.I believe your truck is an allowable tow vehicle for U-Haul.I know that here they won't rent one if you have an Explorer or a Blazer.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:49 PM   #5
1955cj5

We used one with no issues. The aged fabric top stayed on, but we tried to keep it at about 60mph. The freeway speeds around here are posted up to 80 in places so you can be a bit of a rock in the stream...but i think people appreciate seeing the old vehicle...

You can see the mud flaps in the picture. A friend lent them to me, they just clamp on the hitch.

We did wrap it with plastic wrap but went over the top of the wrap with packing tape to keep everything in place...took a couple of rolls. It was mostly to protect the glass and keep the doors shut! If the paint did get scuffed by the plastic or tape it was not noticed, but if we saw any loose ends we trimmed them off. The paint was/is far from perfect anyway.

Additional straps fore and aft and no problems.

The car haulers tow really well in my opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015_0814modelajeep0829.jpg (62.6 KB, 226 views)
Old 05-14-2018, 05:14 PM   #6
burner31

I used one when I got my 31 town sedan, wirked great.
You should have no problems.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:15 PM   #7
Chris Haynes

Mine fit like the trailer was made for it.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:27 PM   #8
Rocketdog1

Worked fantastic to bring our S/W home.

However, we did learn a few things. Not the least of which was that the Ma and Pa U-Haul outfits aren't generally subject to the same equipment audits as the major U-Haul Centers.

I won't go down the rabbit hole, but just make darn certain that you check the tire pressure on all of the trailer tires before you take off down the road!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160429_142525b.jpg (156.9 KB, 72 views)
Rocketdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:31 AM   #9
30Murray

I used one recently and was a little shocked the first time I stopped to find one of the straps had slipped off a tire. It happened a couple more times too, on each tire. The ratchets were as tight as I could get them, so it must have been the narrow tires and bumpy highway or the wheels turning a little. Next time I would use some additional tie straps from the frame or axle. The trailers also have safety chains that can wrap loosely around the axles.
30Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:13 AM   #10
CountrySquire55

I used a U-haul car carrier to bring home my 31 Slant Town Sedan years ago towed by my F-150. No problems with the wheel tie downs. The trailer I rented also had a couple of chains which I used on the axles after placing a piece of scrap carpeting on each axle to protect the paint. Worked great for my 90 mile trip.
CountrySquire55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:47 AM   #11
trulyvintage

Lightbulb Re: Uhaul Auto Transport & Tudor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_KS View Post
Hello

I’ve been reading old posts about trailering lately and learned a lot but still have some specific questions for anyone that’s used an Uhaul Auto Transport (4 wheels off the ground). I’m trailering a quite nice ’30 Tudor, 500 miles, with the uhaul and a newer 4 door F150.

- Does anyone know if the tire nets on the trailer will work with 19” wheels?
- I don’t see a lot of places on the auto transport hook straps to if not using the tire nets. Has anyone used axle straps with a uhaul and if so what did you tie them to on the trailer?
- Is there an axle strap design that works better than the others with an A or the uhaul?
- I was thinking about getting some plastic cling wrap like they wrap pallets with to put in one door over the vinyl top and in the other door. I’ve heard trailering can damage vinyl tops especially when you go past a semi on a 2 lane road.
- Would putting this plastic wrap over the grill, fender fronts, windshield… help with small debris kicked up by the tow vehicle, I’m thinking sand or bugs.
- Should I buy one of those hitch mounted mud flaps that goes across the whole back? Anyone know if they can be rented somewhere? Will the pickup really kick up much debris high enough to get to the car on the trailer?
- For padding axle straps to save the paint is 1 thin rag ok or will it promote slipping?

Sorry for all the questions I’ve never done this before and I want it to go smoothly as possible.

Thanks

Steve,

Cars are meant to be driven ....

Why not take your time - drive out with a buddy - drive it back with a support vehicle.

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:24 AM   #12
Steve in Denver

Steve KC
I used the U-Haul trailer like those pictured to bring my '36 from Connecticut to Colorado. For my tires, the straps were not enough. Fortunately I did take three come-alongs with me and then it was secure.

Do be sure to take their insurance. And if you have any trouble, like I did when a tire blew out and came completely off the rim, be sure to tell them you were going 55, no matter how fast you were going.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30a.jpg (139.6 KB, 76 views)
Steve in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:28 AM   #13
Steve_KS

Thank you all for the good information. It sounds like the uhaul tire web straps usually work well. Good tip on the carpet scraps I’ll add that to my list of tools/jack/airtank… stuff that I’ll be taking along. I’m going to make a hitch mounted mud flap this weekend then forgo the plastic wrap. Maybe a bit to support the vinyl top for a bit for insurance as suggested.

Keeping the doors shut was mentioned. How would you do that other than shutting, locking, and putting the car on facing forward?

I have to buy some extra straps did any style of axle straps work better than others with the Uhaul? I was thinking of the MAC's value pack or an equivalent.

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/pr.../Package-Deals

Thanks Again
Steve_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:54 AM   #14
1955cj5

I mentioned keeping the doors shut on our pickup. If your doors and latches are in good working condition it probably won't be an issue.

The old pickup needed work on the door latches and almost everywhere else, so the extra precaution.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:55 AM   #15
SeaSlugs

Ive towed a few U haul trailers of all sizes (no auto transports yet) and generally are nice - their heavy but they are meant to last 40 years. Surge brakes work pretty good least the ones I had. Go slow take your time - you may be the rock in the river but im sure you will find most people just want to oogle at it anyways as they pass you.

Stop every so often at rest areas and check straps every time AND CHECK THE TRAILER TO BALL CONNECTION! every u haul trailer Ive used I was able to turn the big square tongue nut another click or two every time I checked it. No idea why it kept loosening up.

Also you may want to consider one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/StowAway-Tigh.../dp/B0001CMUV4

last trailer i towed from IL to OK all 534 miles of it all i heard was the hitch ratteling in the reciver at every pothole bump crack on the interstate. Wasnt just a rattle it was things you could feel in the floor as its bolted to the frame. Didn't and wont hurt anything but sure would have preferred it NOT to rattle - radio only goes so loud.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:49 AM   #16
Big hammer

U-haul trailers work very well, so well I wood buy one, but haven’t seen any for sale :-(
Stop and check things soon and then often, the stores that I have rented from where helpful and Knowledgeable !
Old 05-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #17
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
U-haul trailers work very well, so well I wood buy one, but haven’t seen any for sale :-(
Stop and check things soon and then often, the stores that I have rented from where helpful and Knowledgeable !
"U-Haul trucks are for sale in hundreds of places throughout North America. Any and every U-Haul store would know where the dry trucks are located.

U-Haul trailers are not sold. As each trailer ages by another year the repair maximum is lowered. Once an older trailer can no longer be maintained or repaired for a specific price, it is taken to one of our 175 U-Haul maintenance facility where it is cut in small pieces and the axle is cut in half.

ive been with The Company for 31 years and we’ve always done it this way. As a result, there is never a question about who owns an older U-Haul trailer, we do!"

From another site someone asked where to buy old u haul trailers - you cant and if you find someone who is selling one its stolen. Apparently they are copyrighted designs so thats why they are built like tanks, fully galvanized, and no-one else makes one like theirs. I too would buy one if they were available.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:50 AM   #18
Jim Brierley

Model A's can sometimes loosen their flywheels, so when I tow mine I have the trans in neutral to eliminate any back-and-forth movement. This takes any load off the flywheel bolts. I just set the e-brake and strap it down.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:40 AM   #19
lucky_stripe_garage

I used the Uhaul auto transport to get my Tudor from Amarillo area to Dallas (~350 miles). I didn’t have to deflate the tires or anything for the nets to fit. I would put some rags between the nets and tires if you’re not wanting to replace the tires. But had no issues cruising at 65-70 the whole way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lucky_stripe_garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:57 AM   #20
Cool Hand Lurker

I have found that using carpet pieces for padding where the tie-down strap goes across sharp edges can sometimes move, especially when the strap is a little loose from the load shifting. I use a short one foot section of 2" PVC lay-flat discharge hose and slide it over the strap before tying anything down. It is soft and resists kinking and twisting. It protects the car and keeps the strap from chafing or cutting. ( Really important! )
I keep a couple of them on my 2" tie-down straps and just slide them along the strap to where they are needed.
You can buy this stuff by the foot at Menards or Home Depot or any farm supply store.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flat discharge hose.jpg (16.4 KB, 17 views)
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote