Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-10-2022, 05:19 PM   #1
Conaway2

Default Need Information on Electric Wiper Motor

Does anyone know who made this wiper motor ? I removed from my ‘29 Sport Coupe this afternoon in preparation for body work and painting. The ‘Electric Cleaner’ brand is not listed in the RG&JS, nor can I find this company with a quick internet search.

Thanks - Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F79B51C4-B4D1-43B5-AF96-73E678740A07.jpg (35.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg BEFFC73D-7750-4DD2-96EF-E81365073A33.jpg (38.8 KB, 30 views)
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 07:30 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Need Information on Electric Wiper Motor

EA Labs made a lot of horns and wipers over the years. That appears to be a universal fit type since it has no switch or wiper manual operation arm to extend into the cab. It would have required an electrical switch inside the car to operate it.

Emanuel Aufiero and his brother Michael had an interesting history starting EA Laboratories in 1914 to manufacture auto accessories. They made it through patent suits, WWI, Labor Union disputes, and WWII where they built lighting systems and gun sights. They sort of dropped off the map after Emanuel's little brother John died around 1954/55. They made auto accessories right up to the end.

My 29 Sport Coupe also had one of these on it when I purchased it. The toggle switch was mounted on the left A pillar just under the dash. The wiring was exposed so it was a home brew installation.

EA Labs actually did make some wipers for Ford the EA-C1 from early 1929 into early 1930 and they are not as common as Owen Dyneto and Heinze. This link has a frontal photo set but very little info on them.
https://www.mafca.com/downloads/Semi...A%20Wipers.pdf

The Judging standards may have more information on the EA-C1 but the photo above is likely a post WWII replacement item.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 08-10-2022 at 08:02 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 07:46 PM   #3
Conaway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
EA Labs made a lot of horns and wipers over the years. That appears to be a universal fit type since it has no switch or wiper manual operation arm to extend into the cab. It would have required an electrical switch inside the car to operate it.

Emanuel Aufiero and his brother Michael had an interesting history starting EA Laboratories in 1914 to manufacture auto accessories. They made it through patent suits, WWI, Labor Union disputes, and WWII where they built lighting systems and gun sights. They sort of dropped off the map after Emanuel's little brother John died around 1954/55. They made auto accessories right up to the end.

My 29 Sport Coupe also had one of these on it when I purchased it. The toggle switch was mounted on the left A pillar just under the dash.
Rotor wrench - thanks for that bit of history ! I now understand why this wiper motor isn’t in the judging standards. The motor works quite well - after I cleaned and relubed it. I’ll need to fabricate a new mounting bracket for it with the broken ear on one side. This one had an old headlight switch mounted in the windshield header for th wiper.

Jim
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:25 AM   #4
WHN

In our 29 Sport Coupe the switch was a toggle mounted on the dash.

We replaced with a vacuum system. No one has ever mentioned the difference when looking at car. Looks like it came that way, controls all inside car.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote