Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-19-2010, 10:37 AM   #1
PDXCougfan

Default Fun Filled show weekend

We took our 28 roadster pickup to a couple shows this weekend. We had a great time meeting and talking with lots of people who appreciated keeping the Model A's stock and not hot rodding them. Met some folks a the local Model A Chapter's in Portland area. The weather was great, in the mid 70's.

Had a great time playing with our 3 yo and showing him all the cool cars.

To top it off, we took home a trophy on Sat and Sunday. Saturday we got a sponsered trophy. Sunday we took home Best of Show, Truck at Oregon City where there were about 3-400 cars. There was also a orignal model AA wrecker and model T dump truck. I guess people still do love to see the orginal stock trucks! Im sure my wifes great great grandparents and family are smiling down at us, as they bought the truck new in 1928.

-Rob
Old 07-19-2010, 10:56 AM   #2
brucesp

Default Re: Fun Filled show weekend

Rob -

The Forest Grove Concours was also a great show this weekend. There were only a handful of Model A's (flawless as usual for that event), a whole field-full of Packards, and a good dozen other classes.

The real treat though, was the '19 Stanley 7-passenger touring. The owner trailered it out to keep it clean for judging, but decided to drive it home. A small crowd got to watch the steamup routine and see it pull away in total silence. You could hear the applause off in the distance as he drove by the remaining people at the end of the show. Gotta love this time of year!

- Bruce
brucesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
PDXCougfan

We are going to put in for the Concours D'Elegence next year. We realized late that the cutoff for applications was July 1st. (i think i looked it up on the 5th).
Old 07-19-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
Bob/AZ

Congratulations Rob!
Bob/AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
37 Coupe

It seems I have had mixed results at shows and cruise-ins with my mostly original 37. Last year at a show I was parked next to another "37 coupe",one of those glass three window coast to coast or whatever they are called,guy just bought the finished rod and didn't even know what engine make he had in car,or what brand has distributor next to firewall. When they called out the class winner it was his that got the nod,one guy commented during the day that my all original interior has that"old car smell" that you just can never get out,I answered why would you want to as it was one of the reasons I bought the car. I was at local Ford dealer last week and a guy I know was picking up his new Mustang $54,000 and not a convertible. I think he said it came with a blower on it from factory? Mayby Roush or Shelby I don't know but he said he bought it to take to car shows. What do you tell people at shows what you have done? How you dealt for it?
Old 07-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
PDXCougfan

I saw an original 40 coupe at the show on Saturday with the flat head V8. I loved it more than the 40 coupe hot rod sitting next to it. It was awesome. It actually what i want to do for a next project.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #7
Jawman

I went to Crusin The Gut in Vancouver,WA on Saturday. It was more of a hot rod show, but there was a couple nice original cars there. hey, PDXCougfan I see you live in St. Helens. do you know Tom Gottish.
Jawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #8
PDXCougfan

I haven't met him yet. Lots of people i talk to mention him though. He lives really close to where i am at. Im sure we will cross paths eventually. Maybe at the Elks show in St Helen's this weekend.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:54 PM   #9
Jawman

I met Tom once at his shop in Portland off of Sandy blvd. bought some parts and he has been a ghost sense then. I would like to find him too. he has some model B parts that I cant seem to find anywhere else. do you have any more details on the show in St. Helens?
Old 07-20-2010, 10:17 AM   #10
PDXCougfan

Hi Jawman,

Its at the Elks in St Helens. 9am -3pm on Sat the 7/24. The address is 350 Belton Road St Helens, OR 97051. I havent been to this show yet, but its only like 2 miles from my house . Its a pretty nice setting too. I know the guy that got best paint at the oregon city show is going there too.

-Rob
Old 07-20-2010, 10:29 AM   #11
ken ct
BANNED

Hi there jawman, you wouldn't be looking for a freshly rebuilt fuel pump would you have 1 or 2 in stock. ken ct. 1-203-260-5945
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:38 AM   #12
Model A Man

I don't put my cars in shows that cost money to enter your vehicle.(except one, the antique Nationals) I will drive my A to the shows and park on the street. The shows that are free to enter, I go but I go not to win anything but to have a fun drive to and from the show and with the hopes of giving someone the Model A Bug.
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:43 PM   #13
Jawman

Hi PDXcougfan,
Thanks for the info. I hope to be out there and see how the event is.

Ken ct, I might be looking for parts, but I don't think I need a fuel pump what else do you have?