Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 03:53 PM   #21
aojo

Default Re: Where Have All The Purists Gone...

When I purchased my 30 roadster a few months back it had been converted to hydraulic brakes and a start to a 12 volt system. I intend to keep the body original but will keep the brakes and finish the 12 volt conversion. I for one appreciate the advise and wisdom of those posters with experience and while it is possible to do things several different ways it doesn't take very long to learn which posters really know their stuff.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:12 PM   #22
AL in NY

I don't mind all the personel conversations back and forth because I realize a lot of the posters on here are long distance friends. I have learned a lot on here and I've only been into Model A's since 2004. I really enjoy hearing about the best ways to torque the head or check the bearing clearances or to set the timing and on and on. What really gets me steaming is when someone asks how do I................? , and half of the responses tell him that's not what "Henry" did, then proceed to tell him he should change it back and they never bother to answer the poor man's original question. If you don't like the question, don't reply to the thread, pure and simple. Just as a point of information, the 5th largest thread on this forum to date with 214 threads and 32,223 views is not a purist's subject at all, it's about installing an F150 four speed transmission in a Model A.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:27 PM   #23
Rowdy
BANNED

Lurking in the shadows for the most part here. Busy with several projects, work and selling on e-bay to get the med bills caught up. Anything that vaguely resembles a Model A I keep out of sight and out of mind so I don't get side tracked. Rod
Old 02-16-2014, 04:57 PM   #24
Ryan
Administrator

You get back what you put in.

But thanks guys... Geesh...
Old 02-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #25
Cob
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
I agree with Steve Becker and Vince Falter. I am not a fan of talking dogs either, but I guess many Barners are and I guess that is OK, but in my opinion it doesn't help much. There are plenty of internet site for entertainment. It seems I don't get many responses to post I make on "purest" question any more. I use emails and PM's to try to get help with questions I have. It seems like Fordbarn is kind of turning into a "chat" room. I will probably get some rough treatment with this post, but I think Pluck is onto something. I have been thinking about the question Pluck posted, but refrained form saying anything, until now. I thought Fordbarn was primarily for "restorers", but it appears it is changing, and in my opinion not the right way.
Rusty Nelson
It's all what you want to make it and enjoy fellas. If you find something that doesn't fit the Ford Barn - report it and we will do what we can to delete things that truly don't belong here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL in NY View Post
I think the problem is when someone asks a question (purists or not), the thread turns into a bunch of opinions (good or bad) and the original question never gets answered.
I have found that too. About the closest guys knowledge on Fords was Henry Ford and he had others do the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in Quincy View Post
I am still here, use PM most of the time or call and talk in person.

Seems like things have changed, but not for the better.

Ron Rude
Not sure how you mean changed. This website is about Ford cars -
The Model A's guys seems to have the most passionate followers and opinions.
I happen to like them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930 coupe View Post
When you have done something for 40 years and you know it works because you have done it 100 times, but every time you try to tell someone how to do it, everyone that has never done it and does not have a clue will say it will not work and do not do it that way. So after a while you just say screw it and quit trying to help people.
I have refrained from answering a lot of questions because of negative comments from people that have never done it.
That is where I see some challenges - what I see is a hand full of passionate guys with strong opinions which is ok - ONLY up until the opinions differ and then it seems it takes to people attacking people for their opinions and THAT is a big turn off. Seems we forget we come on here to love cars and a hand full end up going after peoples opinions. Which weather you guys realize turns a whole bunch of other guys off. NO one is 100% right - ME included. You can agree to disagree but attacking someone for a different opinion is plain wrong and no patience for it. You guys all have a mutual love for old cars so why ruin it with trying to be 110% right on everything. I'm not and you aren't either. Makes you hate cars huh ? It's ok to disagree but if you become disrespectful - need I say ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobrian View Post
Hmm, a lot of not very nice things came to mind when I read this thread, but I think I'll keep them to myself and just ask:

Is The Fordbarn a forum devoted only or perhaps primarily to those who are restoring cars for judging, as opposed to a forum in which restores and knowledgeable enthusiasts might be asked to help a guy who just owns a driver and wants to keep in on the road?

I don't want to spoil your fun, gentlemen. Just let me know.
You tell me........

Last question back to you fellas.....
What is truly stopping guys from discussing judged or restored cars ?
Guys want to talk judged / restored cars - super - yep I find it enjoyable.
Guys want to talk touring / driven cars - super - yep I find that enjoyable.

What I don't understand is why does one take away from the other ?

Why ?

Show car restoration purist......
Touring / Driver........

Isn't all good ?

A hand full of members disagreements and people attacking each other for it ruins it for everyone.

I can't be the only one that feels that way.

Last edited by Cob; 02-17-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Closed Thread