Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-15-2019, 10:11 AM   #21
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: 1937 Ford coupe. Bill of sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrioletgalaxie View Post
All good comments. Re asking for first part of engine numbers I hear you that it may sound strange and if there is another way of finding that long shot, let me know. Bill of sale says "engine #-----1564 and motor number the same".

Dave...Just so that we can be sure that this is actually a FORD-issued serial number, instead of a possible "RE-issue" number by some state bureaucracy, can you at least verify that the first two digits are either "18" or "54"? An 18-prefix was used on the 85 horsepower cars, and the 54- was used to denote the wimpy 60 horsepower cars. If it's anything different, it's not an ORIGINAL ISSUE Ford number. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:44 AM   #22
JSeery
Member Emeritus

It is a bit strange they use the term engine number.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:53 PM   #23
blucar

You have to remember what is being dealt with in this topic. A 1937 vehicle and a 1954 Bill of Sale. Prior to the advent of computers people paid very little attention to serial numbers on vehicles. Generally speaking the subject only came up when a vehicle was relocated from one state to another.
When I relocated my '36 Ford from Idaho to Nevada in 1954 I had to have the serial number inspected and verified. In 1956 I relocated the '36 to California, the serial number had to be verified in California.
Through an over sight I let the registration expire on the '36 in the early '90's, as a result of California's Non-Op law the car had to be inspected and the serial number verified. In spite of the fact that I had the 1956 CA title, and registration cards from '56 to the date in the early 90's when the registration lapsed, the State of CA wanted me to turn in my 1963 black CA plates, along with the '56 title and registration cards, that was prove that I had owned the black plates since 1963, issuing a new State assigned number title and plates.
Mind you now, the original serial number was clearly stamped into the frame adjacent to the steering gears.
I ended up hiring a DMV Bonded Agent to straighten the matter out, kept the '56 CA title and the 1963 Black CA plates. I had to pay two years of registration as a penalty, then put the car on a Non_Op before the new tags expired.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:14 PM   #24
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post

I ended up hiring a DMV Bonded Agent to straighten the matter out, kept the '56 CA title and the 1963 Black CA plates. I had to pay two years of registration as a penalty, then put the car on a Non_Op before the new tags expired.

I truly believe that there are a very FEW sane and decent folks that still live and PAY out there. Y'all need to leave while "gettin'-out" with the shirts still on your backs is possible. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 11-18-2019, 02:26 PM   #25
4t7heaven

Question Re: 1937 Ford coupe. Bill of sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
I truly believe that there are a very FEW sane and decent folks that still live and PAY out there. Y'all need to leave while "gettin'-out" with the shirts still on your backs is possible. DD
And where should we all go?
4t7heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:12 PM   #26
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4t7heaven View Post
And where should we all go?

That's the cool thing about America...it's your choice! Almost 70,000 came here to Texas alone in 2016, the #1 choice. 380,769 Californians migrated to the top ten states ALONE in 2016, not to mention how many moved to the other 40 states. No income tax here, and housing costs are 61.7% less here than out there. Annual car registration fees are roughly $80.00. My regular gas was about $2.06 last week, and our folks won't even put-up with the needles and dookie on the sidewalks. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 11-18-2019, 11:45 PM   #27
cabrioletgalaxie

The first two digits are 18, making it a V8 according to 4t7heaven. As I said the seller wrote the Serial # and Motor # are the same.
cabrioletgalaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:44 AM   #28
blucar

cab... Strange things happen, your thread just might turn up the owner to the '37.
I have a '40 Buick Super 4dr. I bought the car in Idaho, it was a barn find that had no paperwork. I brought the car to CA, got the paperwork straightened out and got a clear CA title. The car was a very nice unmolested car with a stuck engine. I started to gather parts for the Buick, searching on eBay and other online parts sites.
While looking through eBay one day I noted a listing for '40 Buick original paperwork, sales invoice, title and maintenance records. The paper work had been purchased at an estate sale.
Looking through the paperwork being offed I noted that the info contained therein matched my car except for the serial number being a few hundred numbers different.
Needless to say I bought the paperwork. I know that I can't claim the paperwork is correct for my car, however, for display purposes, most people would not care.