Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-04-2019, 09:31 AM   #1
Conaway2

Default Rebuilding a tire pump

I’m about to rebuild a tire pump - steel barrel, with cast base and Ford logo on each side of the base. Two questions - 1) how do you remove the barrel from the base without causing damage, and 2) where is the check valve located ? (I’m assuming that there is a check valve....)

Many thanks - Jim
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
tiger.1000

Default Re: Rebuilding a tire pump

Conaway 2...I have restored numerous tyre pumps;both of the foot operated and stirrup version. I would assume that yours is what here in the UK we call a stirrup pump. Here's a photo of one that I plan to leave in my 32 Model B;albeit not a Ford script pump.

Usually, to dismantle, at the handle end of the pump there is a
screw-on cap that holds the piston assembly in to the barrel.
Unscrew the cap and the piston together with the leather washer will then come out. Chances are the leather washer needs replacing ..... a fairly simple job.

I fitted a non return valve to my pump although it may not necessarily have had one originally. If you want to make one it can be trying but an easier option is to buy on from Ebay (China).....if you plan to go that route I will tell you the Ebay number.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ford stirrup pump 003.jpg (23.0 KB, 12 views)
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:38 PM   #3
Conaway2

Tiger - thanks very much for your note. Yes - I have a stirrup pump. I’ve disassembled the pump (except for removing the pump barrel from the base) and have replaced the leather cup/washer. My pump apparently did not originally have a check valve in it, so the pump must have been difficult to use. Please tell me the eBay number, as I would like to make this pump usable. Many thanks !
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:08 PM   #4
tiger.1000

You may find that the barrel is difficult or even impossible to remove from the base. Sometimes they are either brazed or soldered in. There's no need to dismantle from the base.Just ensure that barrel internally is scrupulously clean. The Ebay number for the non return valve is 281996716539.....the male end is 1/8 BSP so you may need to do a bit of engineering ????
Old 07-04-2019, 09:43 PM   #5
redmodelt

The ball check valve in the Model T pumps were behind the outlet fitting at the base. They were just a simple ball bearing that when the air was being pushed into the tire moved up but allowed the air to pass by, on the up stroke they were pulled back by pressure from the tire and sealed the air from back flowing out of the tube. I am thinking others may be about the same.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:50 AM   #6
tiger.1000

Usually na NRV has both a ball bearing AND a spring. The spring holds the ball in the closed position when not in use. Having made NRV's in the past;a time consuming and frustrating job.....the real trick is to find a suitable spring. One from a ballpoint pen is too strong ! Once more,Ebay China solved the problem.

Regardless;always worth remembering as Redmodel infers...there is of course a check valve built in to the valve on the inner tube.