Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-10-2019, 01:17 PM   #1
Daryl Middlebrook

Default Clincher rims UNAVAILABLE!?

I have been working on my Great Grandfathers Model T all winter. Overhauled engine, trans and numerous little things...
Finally ready for summer and bit the bullet on new tires, tubes and new clinchers and I've hit a brick wall.

I'm told the clincher manufacturer in the US is not answering his phone and none of the mail order houses have any in stock.
In addition, I'm told metal stem tubes are unobtainable as well.

Does anyone have any insight, suggestions or ideas?
thanks
Daryl Middlebrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Clincher rims UNAVAILABLE!?

Some folks still use the old original type stems. They purchase the rubber stem tubes and carefully cut the rubber stem off close to the vulcanized joint with the tube. Push the stem through and tighten it up pretty much like original. Some of the metal stem tubes are too big in diameter to fit through the hole in the wheels.

If you still have clincher rims, are they unusable? I see them on flea-pay but I'd assume you have the dismountable types. I don't like to assume since there were a number of different aftermarket rims and wheels over the last 100 years or so. I've seen some pretty crusty ones still running down the road. Some folk like to have 30X3 1/2 all the way around too instead or 30X 3 on the front and 30X3 1/2 on the rear.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-10-2019 at 04:28 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:05 PM   #3
Daryl Middlebrook

When my father restored this car back in the day he won a National 1st Place with it. I'm trying to keep it original.
He told me the clinchers he used were the 5 best rims he could find after years of searching as new were not being built then. He filled, sanded and painted them. They are now rusting through and look pretty bad. One of the last things he told me about the car was to go buy new clinchers with tubes and tires.
I admit I'm looking for the easy way out. Looks like I need to get creative.
And yes they are all 30x3.5"
1924 Touring
Old 05-14-2019, 06:42 PM   #4
redmodelt

Not all T rims or wheels are the same, so not all rims will fit all wheels. This was not as standardized as one may think. If you place an ad, include photos of the area where the lug fits up to the fellow. Even if new ones could be gotten does not mean they would fit your fellows and wheels. All the suppliers list the metal stem tubes so not sure where you are getting the info that they are unobtainable. if by word of mouth I suggest you call the suppliers. Chaiffins, Langs, Snyders, Macs etc. (there are others)

I should also ask just for clarification, what type clincher rims are you looking for? The demountable type or riveted to the the wood fellows? It would not be a first to have 30X3.5 non demountable rim type wheels on all 4 corners.

Last edited by redmodelt; 05-15-2019 at 06:45 PM.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:47 AM   #5
rotorwrench

With flea-pay, this site's swap meet section, other model T forums, and the internet in general, it may be much easier to find good used ones out there than it was back when your Great Grandfather was looking depending on the time frame. Over 15 million model Ts were produced so multiply that by 4 and add in a good percentage for replacements and aftermarket rims over the last 100-years and you can see that there is a pretty good chance of decent survivors out there that will match what you have. As redmodelt mentions, we would need to know what you have to be of any help in your search.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:48 PM   #6
Daryl Middlebrook

These are demountable Hayes brand rims. Not split or riveted.

The suppliers all show everything as available however they are not always accurate. As such, I have the rims and tubes on order. However, the BO time is unknown. I have called all suppliers looking for stock.
In addition, I tracked down the gentleman who is/was making the repop clinchers and indeed he is not answering calls or emails.
I appreciate the assistance.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:36 AM   #7
redmodelt

http://www.sheepisland.com/cars/tech/metal_stems/
If the tubes in your tires are metal stems, good chance the stem and parts can be reused. Also if the tubes hold air and are not rotted, they might be better then any tube made today.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:21 AM   #8
Daryl Middlebrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
http://www.sheepisland.com/cars/tech/metal_stems/
If the tubes in your tires are metal stems, good chance the stem and parts can be reused. Also if the tubes hold air and are not rotted, they might be better then any tube made today.

This is a great writeup and the point you make about the tubes is something I have been told by another T guru. My tubes were new in 1978. I'll just have to inspect them.
Thank you again!
Old 05-16-2019, 09:45 AM   #9
Royce P

If you have 1978 tubes that hold air I would try and save them for the new tires. Your old tubes are likely 100% better than anything that you could buy today.

Try calling Mark Freimiller, he typically has demountable rims in excellent condition available. You need to have them sandblasted and then cadmium plated. You won't ever need to repair them again.

Mark's web site: https://www.vintagecarsandparts.com/
1917 Torpedo Runabout
Royce P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:18 AM   #10
dumb person

Legend has it they make them in christchurch NZ if you have the money.
I haven't found a listing for them though.

https://www.engineeringnews.co.nz/nz...-bang-bang-go/

Only thing I found.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:52 AM   #11
Daryl Middlebrook

Appreciated! Had two more flats this weekend and the tubes are done. I did find replacements from Smith and Jones Antique Auto Parts in SC.

I also found that Coker has new Clinchers. Very pricey but available. Anyone ever seen one?
Old 05-20-2019, 12:15 PM   #12
rotorwrench

The ones I've seen in Coker's catalog don't have the tabs to bolt them on but some are different than others. I guess it depends on how your felloes & rims are made. Some Ford rims and Hayes rims have the tabs. Maybe they just show one photo for all but that's kind of a crappy way to let you know what they have.

This link has examples: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages...tml?1478390325

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-20-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:36 PM   #13
Daryl Middlebrook

https://www.cokertire.com/30x3-1-2-b...-cadplate.html
Old 05-20-2019, 05:39 PM   #14
rotorwrench

Those certainly look like the Hayse types but man, they are proud of those things. Universal shows them too but they may not be cadmium plated. https://www.universaltire.com/vintag...m-model-t.html

I have taken stuff to a propeller shop to get them cad plated but I don't know if they will still do that for me. The last time was quite a while ago.

You may have to call for availability too on those rims.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:59 PM   #15
Daryl Middlebrook

I ordered one of the Coker rims and it just arrived. Unfortunately, the rim has cad plating damage from improper handling. Not shipping damage. The lugs are welded on. Otherwise it is a heavy duty piece but as you suggest, the cost is too high to be anything less than perfect.
I have also reached out to Mark at https://www.vintagecarsandparts.com/ and he says he has nice ones...we shall see if I can get this cornered!

I am in the aviation business here and our local cad plating firm no longer offers the silver color. I will need to search this out as well.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:03 PM   #16
rotorwrench

Type II gold cad will turn silver over time. We used to get the old Bell 47 shafts overhauled by the original part manufacturer. They always came back with nice new looking type II cad plate and it only takes about 6-months to a year before they turn silver from the elements. Type I is mostly used on non aircraft hardware but there have been plenty of aviation related applications. It's getting harder to find a shop that works with the stuff. The EPA regs are strict on any of the heavy metals. The zinc chromate it easier to find but it's either a gold to yellow color or green. Zinc seems to be the easiest to get now days but it doesn't last as long. It just turns gray after 6-months to a year. You can sort of smooth out the plating scratches with some fine Scotch Brite pads. If the scratches go through then it still may be noticeable. You can really only see the edges anyway but likely as not, that's where it got messed up. Scuffing will also turn gold to silver color.

I've heard of Pen Yan Aero but there are too many companies in TX to go too far away. The helicopter business is still kind of a tight group of folks. Not as many now days as there used to be.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-21-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:08 AM   #17
redmodelt

Cad plating will work but was not used by Ford at that time, they were zinc plated;
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages...tml?1312575326
Old 05-22-2019, 11:44 AM   #18
Daryl Middlebrook

Coker tells me their T rims are to be finished with a top coat and were not expected to be installed as is. So this one is going back.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #19
redmodelt

There are a number of Hayes rims on ebay now. Good luck