Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-03-2019, 09:21 AM   #1
dean from bozeman

Default The Latest Scam

As many of you know, I have put A495 up for sale. It's on page 346 in the October Hemmings. With that in mind, I have begun to get some interest.
Some are semi-legit tire kickers. Others...well, there are others.

The latest is a person who said that they will pay full price but I cannot contact them directly because they are in basic training in Georgia. However, they will promptly answer all e-mails.

Then I get the following e-mail:

I suggest we hire an inspector to appraise/inspect and confirm the legitimacy of ownership so as to report accordingly before we can proceed to making payment.
JandT is an international company and have worked with them in a couples of times, an agent close to you will be assigned to carry out the inspection.
The cost of the inspection to cover transportation, hotel and other expenses should be around $400 which i suggest should be split and be paid by the both of us at $200 each so as to limit the cost of risk incase the seller is not legit or the condition of the advert is not as good as claim by the seller.
the seller will be fully reimbursed and full payment would be made available to the seller same day after inspection.
i am willing to sign a contract if need be and the only reason i will not proceed to payment after inspection is if the condition is not as good as advertised.
let me know if you will be willing to split the inspection cost and if you will like to proceed by sending me your full name and inspection address to be forwarded to the inspector from JandT Inc. to contact you on best inspection date and time.
Thanks

At first, while reading through the poor English, I thought that most of what he said made sense. But I do have a skeptical side. I looked but could not find JandT Inc. on the Internet. So I turned the tables. I sent this guy information for a legitimate appraiser and said that he should send $300 (his share) to the appraiser to get the ball rolling.

This is probably not the first scam that I'll be offered but I thought that I would share it so others would be prepared for anything similar.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote