Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-22-2015, 01:36 AM   #1
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA

Default It seems to always come when the regular postman has a day off.

I have my regular postman trained so that when i get my Restorer magazine or Model A News, he does not fold them in half to fit them in the wall mounted mail slot. Instead, he lays them flat on the welcome mat.
Unfortunately he was off today and his replacement folded my Model A News.
I hate when that happens.

The good news is that it is a great issue.
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:49 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: It seems to always come when the regular postman has a day off.

Something similar happens quite often when my packages arrive. They come on Saturday when some jerk has the run for the day, and they throw my packages down with a loud bang. Once they were even too lazy to get out of the truck so they left a pink slip for me to go to the PO to pick up my package. The pink slip said I wasn't home to receive the package. I called the PO to tell them that was a lie and I was home the whole day waiting for that package.

When I drove to the PO to get the package I told them about the Saturday deliveries getting slammed onto the concrete step. I hope that person got fired as I haven't seen her since.

Years ago my magazines used to come each month with torn covers and folded pages. I complained to the PO about it, and they denied it was their fault, but the damage stopped after that.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:02 AM   #3
ronn

Something similar happens quite often when my packages arrive. They come on Saturday when some jerk has the run for the day, and they throw my packages down with a loud bang. Once they were even too lazy to get out of the truck so they left a pink slip for me to go to the PO to pick up my package. The pink slip said I wasn't home to receive the package. I called the PO to tell them that was a lie and I was home the whole day waiting for that package.

I go through this weekly and sometimes they dont even bother to leave the peach slip....................................
and they wonder why they are losing money...........................
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:17 AM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Mylar LakewoodCA View Post
I have my regular postman trained so that when i get my Restorer magazine or Model A News, he does not fold them in half to fit them in the wall mounted mail slot. Instead, he lays them flat on the welcome mat.

Neil. To avoid this frustration, why not install a larger mail box ? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:34 AM   #5
clo2jim

No mail delivery in my area of Ontario Canada - still have to go to the post office. Since my magazine will not fit in my post office box unless folded, the employees do not fold it and just put a notice in my box for parcel pick up. Never had an issues in all the time I have had my post office box (34 years)
clo2jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:41 AM   #6
28RPU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Mylar LakewoodCA View Post

Well, wouldn't the smart thing to do would be to get a mailbox that is big enough to put your mail in without folding it? The mail carrier doesn't like folding it any more than you do.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:08 PM   #7
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA

28RPU,
Ive definitelty thought about that, but the mail slot is between studs and is encompassed in stucco at the front of the house. Finding a larger assembly may be a challenge but the main challenge is alway matching the faded color and texture of the stucco.
I've also thought about removing that assembly completely and installing a box on the porch, but I would still need to restucco the old area with the same challenge.
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:36 PM   #8
prpmmp

Man!! must be a slow day in Looneyville!!! Pete
prpmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:58 PM   #9
captndan

And on the other side of the road. Out here we have got rural mail delivery. Our mail lady drives an old beat up Jeep wagon. If something is too big for the box or looks important she will bring all the mail up and leave it by the front door. Always has a smile and waves if she passes you going down the road. Of course folks are more friendly around here than in other places.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:47 PM   #10
Fordors

I'm with captndan on this one. Great mailman, and never a problem with the subs either. Regular guy always places a note in the street-side mail box whenever he places a package by the front door. Fedex or UPS are fine around here too, even though hardly ever the same driver. I wonder if it all starts with the supervisor? Treat someone with respect and they will act that way on the job, and if they don't then motivate them.
Being retired I sometimes see the delivery people and in summer I'll always offer a cold bottle of water or soft drink. That was something I learned long ago from a dear aunt, it costs little but goes a long way to show appreciation for those who serve us often.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:18 PM   #11
Indiana A. Lover

Send a message via Yahoo to Indiana A. Lover

The way I fixed the post man problem is buying presents a few times a year, changed his flat tire, and just being nice. Now the ups man is a lazy little bastard. Wife called his supervisor and bitched but did not do much good. Don
Indiana A. Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:09 AM   #12
ian Simpson

Have not had Saturday delivery since before leaving the UK in 1967 where our local mail lady would give me a lift into town in her little red Morris when my motorcycles were hors de combat. But have never had a problem with mail delivery. Got a right hand tie rod end from Tams last month delivered in four days by USPS and Canada Post from the time of my panic phone call (No other supplier I contacted had one!).

Fantastic service from Tams and the postal services. Wish FedEx, UPS, et al were as good and inexpensive.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:14 AM   #13
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Life must be good when the only problem is a folded magazine ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:23 AM   #14
ronn

The way I fixed the post man problem is buying presents a few times a year, changed his flat tire, and just being nice.

for what the postmen get paid in Jersey, they ought to be changing my tires...........!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:35 AM   #15
Robert/Texas

I guess I'm really lucky. My postman is a Model T guy and brings stuff to me if it doesn't fit in the mail box. He likes to talk about old cars too.
Robert/Texas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:56 AM   #16
captndan

A gift certificate at Christmas and a big thank you will go a long way to good service.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:28 AM   #17
CarlG

I finally got my Sept-Oct issue of Model A News on November 30th. Hmmmmmmm
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:57 AM   #18
dan

Be thankful if your regular postman sometimes does the right thing. Ours is too lazy to get out of her vehicle--she'll find a way to fold most anything to get it into the mailbox so she doesn't have to walk the 20 feet to our door. And this isn't just when it's cold or rainy. Once or twice on a fine spring or fall day she's crammed a number of small packages in there so tight it took me a long time to unwedge them and get them out. When there's something that's obviously too big to squeeze into the box, she leaves it on the doorstep, but she never rings--I've had packages on the porch get wet because I didn't know they were there (mail delivery at our place comes as early as 10:30am on Mondays and as late as 5:00pm on Saturdays, it's completely unpredictable)

This is why I much prefer UPS/FedEx to the post office. Their drivers always bring that packages to the door and ring the bell. Once or twice when I've had something large/oversize delivered and I was home, they've hand-trucked it into my garage or carried it into the house for me.
dan is offline   Reply With Quote