Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-27-2015, 11:39 PM   #1
Timbo405

Default sheet metal repair order...which first

So... My 48 sedan coupe needs trunk floor, fwd floor, rockers and some little quarter panel sections replaced...
Once I stick new body/frame bushings etc under it, which panels do I attack first...floors or rockers? Gracias
Old 11-28-2015, 09:03 AM   #2
nospartsman
BANNED

Default Re: sheet metal repair order...which first

This is what you need a complete floor and wheel wells with no rust out. Fits all body styles, for 1942-1948.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0012.jpg (82.9 KB, 168 views)
nospartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #3
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo405 View Post
So... My 48 sedan coupe needs trunk floor, fwd floor, rockers and some little quarter panel sections replaced...
Once I stick new body/frame bushings etc under it, which panels do I attack first...floors or rockers? Gracias
All body supports are connected from the floor pan to the frame at some point and are required to hold the body in shape in order to replace any other body component. So what would you do first?
Old 11-28-2015, 10:43 AM   #4
rotorwrench

Many of these old cars have a body inner sill structure that ties the front to the back. This is the most important structural part of the lower body. The outer rocker panels are fit to it and also provide some of the structural support. The outer edges of the floor is sometimes an integral part of the inner sill structure so you have to attack the whole thing as a unit. If you have to cut one side of the structure loose or if it is totally rusted out, then I would suggest tack welding in body bracing to keep the door openings where they are supposed to be during the process and try to tackle one side at a time if possible. If the whole floor has to be replaced then you will have to cross brace for lateral, longitudinal, and vertical alignment. Since the body has to also fit the chassis, then it also has to be part of the alignment process for proper fit. It's a lot of work to take on but it can be done by the DIY guy if you have the tools & skill set.

Nothing would drive a guy more crazy than finding out that the doors won't fit the jam properly after everything is welded up so frequent alignment checks have to be performed during the process.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 03:33 PM   #5
waterboychuck

I did my rockers first and then the front floor, however, I would not do it that why again. I would do the floor and rockers together. I have a set of instructions for replacing these parts if you need them. Send me a PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:39 PM   #6
JHFORD51

I did my 39 by bracing everything several ways before removing from frame, replacing rockers, checking door fit, then front floor install, checking doors, then rear floor install. Lots of manual labor but not difficult at all. Car just looks scary on sawhorses with no floor but you are really doing parts of the assembly order smiialr to Ford except your body is already jigged for you. Like waterboy, I may be inclined to replace the entire floor assembly if I have to do it again on another car.
JHFORD51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:32 AM   #7
Karl Wescott

Before starting align body, doors, deck lid, and ALL sheetmetal including fenders and hood. If it does not fit now it will not fit when you finish.

I would consider replacing the rubber body to frame bushings with metal washers to more solidly anchor the body to the frame (swap out after repairs).

As rotorwrench suggests, tack weld braces to support the body during surgery.

Consider supporting the frame with jack stands or blocks as this will be more stable than the stock suspension with wheels and tires. If you use a rotisserie be sure there will be no flex across the body as it moves.

Take your time, both to get it right and more importantly to have fun.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:51 AM   #8
ems customer service

i agree with karl, but do not use the rotisserie while installing panels, flex is hard to stop,

use the rotisserie grinding and metal finishing

if you need more help call us at

ems automotive 216-541-4585
ems customer service is offline   Reply With Quote