Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-01-2019, 04:22 PM   #21
ronn

Default Re: Any recourse for this recurring scam

My advice is just to ignore these guys.

absolutely. nothing more to talk about unless you have plenty of time to waste.

My time is becoming more valuable by the day.............. soon my days will run out.
ronn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:53 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
My advice is just to ignore these guys.

absolutely. nothing more to talk about unless you have plenty of time to waste.

My time is becoming more valuable by the day.............. soon my days will run out.
Yes, we all have the same issue. OP let us know what you decide to do.
28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:26 AM   #23
77Birdman

Just confront the guy and tell him you know its a scam. Otherwise send cash and when you recieve it you will send him a receipt. Guarantee you will never hear another thing.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:58 AM   #24
Standing Elk

I experienced something like this on a diesel engine that I had for sale on E-Bay. The guy wanted me to except a cashiers check from someone who supposedly owed him $5000. I was asking $3000 for the engine and I was suppose to agree to send him the extra $2000. I knew it was a scam so decided to have a little fun with the guy. I agreed to the deal and about a week later I received an official looking cashiers check. I took it to my bank and verified it was indeed fake. I then contacted the guy and told him that I had received his check and had cashed it. I then told him that I was going keep the engine along with all of the money. Man talk about coming unglued he went ballistic and threatened to contact the police. I sent him the phone number for our county sheriff's office and told him to ask for Dave who was the county sheriff at that time. Never heard from him again.
Standing Elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:37 AM   #25
160B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standing Elk View Post
I experienced something like this on a diesel engine that I had for sale on E-Bay. The guy wanted me to except a cashiers check from someone who supposedly owed him $5000. I was asking $3000 for the engine and I was suppose to agree to send him the extra $2000. I knew it was a scam so decided to have a little fun with the guy. I agreed to the deal and about a week later I received an official looking cashiers check. I took it to my bank and verified it was indeed fake. I then contacted the guy and told him that I had received his check and had cashed it. I then told him that I was going keep the engine along with all of the money. Man talk about coming unglued he went ballistic and threatened to contact the police. I sent him the phone number for our county sheriff's office and told him to ask for Dave who was the county sheriff at that time. Never heard from him again.
Great plan, I will keep this one in my memory bank for future use!!!

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:40 AM   #26
frank55a

I had the same scam attempted on me a couple of times, never lost a cent or part. The first time I knew it was a scam from the start but thought I would check it out anyway. The scammer sent an official looking cashiers check from a real company, I contacted the company and was told it was no good and that someone was running a scam (they had several inquires over the previous week) they closed that account. Eventually I ended up contacting the FBI, had a good discussion with the agent. He said there was a lot of that type of scam going on, just ignore it and have no further contact with the scammer, but above all do not try to cash it. Further, I checked with my bank about personal checks and cashiers checks, was told that typically any bank will hold the check's funds for 7 to 10 working days, specifically while you may cash or deposit the check the amount is held against your account for that time and if it is bad you are responsible for the funds. This is why when selling parts to people that I have not done business with in the past I require a USPS Postal Money Order or I hold the parts for 10 days after I receive payment.
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:13 PM   #27
Hoop

Some really bad advice here ... especially from the guys who want to "play games" with the scammers.

Keep in mind that they know who YOU are, your name, your wife's name, your kids names, where you live, your phone number, email address, Facebook page, dog's name, etc., etc.

What do you know about them? Zero.

If they want to make your life miserable, they can if they choose ... and the cops will tell you that you should have simply ignored them in the first place.

Dean, stick the check up on your bulletin board as a conversation piece. Do not have ANY further communication with the scammer.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:53 AM   #28
trulyvintage

Lightbulb Stop tenting your barn

Stop renting your barn.

Problem solved.

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:15 AM   #29
Terry,OH

Using the USPS for defrauding someone is mail fraud. I agree contact the local police Dept. I would bet they are using someone in Atlanta to forward their mail to you. Police departments are becoming much more attentive to ciber crimes.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:01 AM   #30
frank55a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
Using the USPS for defrauding someone is mail fraud.
Exactly!! Which is part of the reason I request USPS MOs for payment (see my comment #28) and they are about as secure as you can get.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:28 AM   #31
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank55a View Post
Exactly!! Which is part of the reason I request USPS MOs for payment (see my comment #28) and they are about as secure as you can get.
"Money order scams are common when buying or selling online. "

https://www.thebalance.com/money-order-scams-315055

"Online fraud artists have been using counterfeit and worthless checks for years. However, in recent years, there’s been an uptick in the use of counterfeiting U.S. Postal Service money orders. The quality of what these con artists are producing is very good and ordinary consumers can easily be fooled. This scam is also prevalent on online auction sites like eBay, bulletin boards and email solicitations."

https://www.fraudguides.com/internet...-money-orders/

"A fraud scheme involving counterfeit checks and money orders is speeding across the Internet, costing financial institutions and their customers thousands of dollars."

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/r...oom/fakemo.htm
Old 04-03-2019, 11:56 AM   #32
frank55a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
"Money order scams are common when buying or selling online. "

https://www.thebalance.com/money-order-scams-315055

"Online fraud artists have been using counterfeit and worthless checks for years. However, in recent years, thereÂ’s been an uptick in the use of counterfeiting U.S. Postal Service money orders. The quality of what these con artists are producing is very good and ordinary consumers can easily be fooled. This scam is also prevalent on online auction sites like eBay, bulletin boards and email solicitations."

https://www.fraudguides.com/internet...-money-orders/

"A fraud scheme involving counterfeit checks and money orders is speeding across the Internet, costing financial institutions and their customers thousands of dollars."

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/r...oom/fakemo.htm
What you say is true for regular money orders issued by a business but NOT the USPS MOs, if you cash them at the post office.

Check the date on the link to the link above i.e., Sept 2005. The discussion with the FBI agent (#28 above) he mentioned that problem. Shortly after the discussion our post office would not cash a USPS MO without having it verified by a manager which generally took a few minutes, later they had a phone number they could call to verify the MO and in the recent couple of years they have a scanner they run it thru. If you cash a USPS MO at the post office you will know right away if it is good or not. Like almost any form of payment now days, if you take it to a bank you are taking a chance. As I stated in #28 above "typically any bank will hold the check's (cashiers checks, money orders, and etc.) funds for 7 to 10 working days, specifically while you may cash or deposit the check the amount is held against your account for that time and if it is bad you are responsible for the funds."

Last edited by frank55a; 04-03-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:19 PM   #33
Dick Steinkamp

Good to know, Frank. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:46 PM   #34
woofa.express

when an Indian or African speech accent asks for Gary I say he went with his girlfriend to live in Provonce, France, or he was killed in a truck accident only last week.
I once said he is laying on the floor with blood spewing from his chest. One even asked in that case can I speak with his wife. I said she too was on the floor with blood oozing out and I couldn't stay and talk because the police will be here soon.

sometimes I lead them on and when the conversation is exhausted say I don't have internet so how can my access be cut off or I don't have a bank so can't provide details or simply put a cheque in the mail. Or from the Tax department, simply send me a bill and I'll pop a cheque in the post for you. you can irritate them just like they irritate you.
I know a bloke who says this is being recorded. He says it ends their call quickly.
enjoy the game of kidding and hindering them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scammer.jpg (13.7 KB, 30 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 04-04-2019 at 08:59 AM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:47 AM   #35
woofa.express

My lovely Beechcraft Bonanza.

I bought it about 1990. Fast and easy to fly, popular with those who rode in it because of its speed and large windows. Great to do a beat-up in and spectacular to watch doing so.

sorry, I have posted this in the wrong thread. It has been transferred to "tell a model a related story"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bonanza 2.JPG (45.8 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 04-04-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:47 AM   #36
Jw

burn the check and DO NOT RESPOND
Jw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:01 PM   #37
dean from bozeman

Lots of good advice here and I thank you all.

The scammers last contact said something to the effect, 'Have a good heart we can make a deal'.

During my last e-mail to the guy I simply stated, "Absolutely no deal!". There has been no communication since. I've decided to put "Void" in black marker across the check and pin it to my bulletin board.

I know that I asked for suggestions on recourse but since they have all the information on us and we have no information on them, I feel that it is best to just let the matter drop. It does make me sick that they are probably successful with some folks, particularly elderly folks, but at least our senses are on higher alert for such scams now.

Now, get them A's on the road and enjoy Spring!

Thanks,
Dean
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:33 PM   #38
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean from bozeman View Post
Lots of good advice here and I thank you all.

Thanks,
Dean

What I didn't admit to was -

What I didn't tell you was I have been scammed. A tractor advertised and I responded. All email. Was told brother in law was going to aged care and everything including farm to go. I was to be invoiced through ebay. Then came a bill on an ebay letter head. This included what I needed, ie an invoice and a serial number. I payed, via western union. I couldn't get the payment away fast enough. It was quickly followed by an additional demand for it was said it was sold too cheap. At that moment I knew I had been touched.
There was two tell tails. One, it was too cheap and I acted like a spoiled kid who couldn't risk being left out and two, at the price I should have travelled to inspect. As I said, it was a beautiful forged copy of an ebay invoice.
I haven't made this known before because it's difficult to admit one can be such a fool.
The picture below is the specimen that was advertised.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ebay.jpg (35.3 KB, 11 views)