Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2016, 05:56 AM   #1
GAR64

Default Directional Lights

Looking for some advice on adding turn signals. My car has a single tail light/brake light. Everything is still wired through the switch on the end of the steering column. I would like to get opinions on the easiest way to add some directionals. I think I have seen some people add cowl lights and make them turn signals? I would like to keep it as simple as possible. Does someone make a nice kit perhaps? The car is actually my father's and he loves driving it but he would feel more comfortable with turn signals. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have gotten a lot of help from you guys and really enjoy this site. Also hoping to get my 56 out on the road this summer...
GAR64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:14 AM   #2
cradlescyth

Default Re: Directional Lights

Came across this a while back. I wil try to attach it
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Logo Lites Turn Signals.pdf (319.0 KB, 133 views)
cradlescyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:02 AM   #3
Pilotdave

Do a search on "turn signals" or "directional signals" - you'll find a ton of material to read. The solution you choose will depend on whether your car is still 6 volt pos ground, whether you intend to install a second tail light, etc. There's at least one system available that doesn't require running any wiring.

Dave
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:03 AM   #4
russcochiolo

I have an earlier version of Logo Lights (previous owner installed) and like them. The controller is magnet mounted under the fuel tank and well hidden. Russ
russcochiolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:10 PM   #5
burner31

Young drivers have no clue to hand signals.
Do they even teach this anymore?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg driving-hand-signals.jpg (60.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg images (43).jpg (8.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg dmv-virginia-practice-test-q52.jpg (14.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg glowing_driving_mittens.jpg (64.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg scan0004 (1).jpg (93.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg transportation-hand_signals-cab-taxi-driver-hand-37631269_low.jpg (43.3 KB, 36 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:45 PM   #6
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
Young drivers have no clue to hand signals.
Do they even teach this anymore?
Actually I think it's more middle aged drivers that don't know hand signals (and to lazy to use their blinkers either).

While riding in my Town Sedan my Grandson and his friends (all just starting to drive) were laughing at how many people didn't understand my hand signals. They even pointed out that some friendly drivers actually waved back...

I think the ONLY driver on the road that day that actually knew hand signals was a BIKER we were following. HE was using hand signals also.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 05-13-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:54 PM   #7
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Actually I think it's more middle aged drivers that don't know hand signals (and to lazy to use their blinkers either).

While riding in my Town Sedan my Grandson and his friends (all just starting to drive) were laughing at how many people didn't understand my hand signals. They even pointed out that some friendly drivers actually waved back...

I think the ONLY driver on the road that day that actually knew hand signals was a BIKER we were following. HE was using hand signals also.
You hit the nail on the head.
And that is the reason I put signals on my car, got tired of people turning in front of me, almost rear ending me, and waving.
I don't mind people waving, but not when I was signaling.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:25 PM   #8
Patrick L.

Waving ? You guys have people wave ?

The soccer moms give me the single finger salute ! I finally broke down and installed signals. After being rear ended I decided to change to LEDs.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:10 PM   #9
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
Waving ? You guys have people wave ?

The soccer moms give me the single finger salute ! I finally broke down and installed signals. After being rear ended I decided to change to LEDs.
Yes, I get soccer Mom's (and others). I like how they think it's OK to pass on the right, sometimes in the bicycle lanes.

And yes I have broken down and installed turn signals and a third brake light. And a "Slow Vehicle" Triangle. None of it seems to help...

And wouldn't it be wonderful if people had to come to a complete stop at a stop sign in order to put the trans in first gear? as we do with a non-syncro trans? Don't get me started...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:12 PM   #10
A-Man

GAR64 I just recently went through this same process. I, too, experienced issues with people not knowing what hand signals are, even having some waving to me as if waving back.

So, I decided to install turn signals on my 1930 Model A Deluxe Coupe, with the original 6 volt system. The coupe has the single rear light mounted on the left rear fender. I did not want to drill holes in the good right rear fender, so opted to install a set of lights on the front and rear to be used. I also did not want a set of gaudy lights so as not to detract from the Original Model A appearance.

After much searching, I was able to locate a pair of amber lights for the front, to be used as turn signals only. For the rear, I also located a like pair of red lights, to be used as turn, tail and stop lights. The lights are manufactured by United Pacific Industries(See Attached files).

I am including pictures of the Model A showing the front and rear lights installed.

Hope this helps, GAR64, and good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front Turn signals.jpg (99.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Rear Turn Signals2.jpg (112.8 KB, 47 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Front Turn Light.pdf (167.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: pdf Rear Turn_Tail_Stop Light.pdf (158.7 KB, 16 views)
A-Man is offline   Reply With Quote