Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #1
19Fordy

Default Don Orasco Selling Out Question?

I saw thread below posted in the SWAP MEET forum on 8/5/2019 and am wondering if this is some sort of a indicator of the changing value,market and trends for Ford flat head parts and speed goodies? Does Mr. Orasco see something coming that others do not? I have not contacted Don. Thoughts appreciated.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1954...w=1153&bih=778
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:19 AM   #2
deuce lover

Default Re: Don Orasco Selling Out Question?

He has been listing stuff on EBAY for several months.I think in the end its a lot of work and time for hundreds of parts.I returned what I had bought as there was an issue.Refund was no problem but then you deal with his secretary and all else that entails.I have sold several collection since 2003 and besides having a regular job my weekends were tied up listing ,packing and shipping.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:32 AM   #3
Charlie ny
BANNED

I hope this trend is similar to the market going up then going down........it's what it
does. When Flatheads were poison and under every hood was a sbc I BOUGHT what
the trend was junking........glad I did.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:39 AM   #4
bluardun

Let me start with mentioning Don Orasco is a first class gentleman. He has reproduced and manufactured several rare flathead parts. Mainly to help for his personal restoration projects, then sells them for flathead enthuses. His reproducing and selling parts is by no means his source of income. He is a true asset for our hobby. I would think he might have a new interest, maybe not flathead related. For those interested in any of his items, I strongly suggest you buy them ASAP. When they are gone there won't be any more available.
bluardun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:39 PM   #5
Automotive Stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce lover View Post
He has been listing stuff on EBAY for several months.I think in the end its a lot of work and time for hundreds of parts.I returned what I had bought as there was an issue.Refund was no problem but then you deal with his secretary and all else that entails.I have sold several collection since 2003 and besides having a regular job my weekends were tied up listing ,packing and shipping.
I've seen the stuff on ebay also. Most of it is not exactly priced to move.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:44 PM   #6
nickthebandit

If you want to play, you have to pay. If not for Don Orosco, ( correct spelling from his business card ) there would not be these parts available. Don does not need the money from the sale of these parts. He is a shopping center developer, among other things. ask him how he got started. He told me one day at the Turlock, California January flea market. I was impressed. he is also a cancer survivor. Yes, he has the ability to reproduce these rare parts, be thankful that he does. His is a labor of love for the cars, and parts. He is not in it for the money. Just think of his investment before any parts are produced. Again, be thankful.
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:34 PM   #7
Automotive Stud

I guess that's one way to look at it. I'm not afraid to walk swap meets all day to find a deal, and from what I've seen stuff is becoming more available as estates are cleared out and prices are dropping if you know where to look. I suppose if I really needed something that only he had I would pay the price and that would be it. Right now I'm doing more gathering for a future build so I would hold out for a better deal.

Last edited by Automotive Stud; 08-07-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:42 PM   #8
Randy in ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
I saw thread below posted in the SWAP MEET forum on 8/5/2019 and am wondering if this is some sort of a indicator of the changing value,market and trends for Ford flat head parts and speed goodies? Does Mr. Orasco see something coming that others do not? I have not contacted Don. Thoughts appreciated.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1954...w=1153&bih=778
-

Here's the link to the thread that I think you wanted to post:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267423
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:46 PM   #9
Randy in ca

Don is now about 75 years old I believe. Maybe, like lots of other folks around that age, he realizes that he's not going to ever use much of what he's collected and that he can't take it with him.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:39 PM   #10
deuce_roadster

Sounds like you have to buy it all. Would take one of his friends with pockets as deep as his. Doubt anybody here could do it.
deuce_roadster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:34 PM   #11
BUBBAS IGNITION

A good guy with stuff no one else has but very pricey , however i respect pricey from time to time...
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:14 PM   #12
john greco

I think for what u get you will surprised , he’s up in age , still has the love for the stuff but has bigger fish to fry at this point in his life , he is a great guy and just wants to move on , but from what he told me he will make someone a hell of a deal to clean out storages , The real estate is crazy and it’s time to get rid of the stuff that’s in it and do something with it . Give him a shot call him he’s a Pleasure to talk to you
john greco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:47 PM   #13
john greco

Update, guess no one took that post seriously, I called don today to see if anyone had contacted him and he said no not from my post , he said he had a call from New Zealand and the guy came down and cleared out all three of his warehouses, 50 years of parts inc shelving and forklift for 10k dollars , how sad �� that all of it is leaving the country . It’s all gone .
john greco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:17 AM   #14
Randy in ca

Not only sad, but unbelievable!! Don didn't collect junk - no doubt 3 warehouses full sold for micro-pennies on the dollar.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:41 AM   #15
40cpe

That might have been the IRS version of the sale price.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:04 PM   #16
Randy in ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
That might have been the IRS version of the sale price.

-

Voice of experience speaking??
Old 10-05-2019, 03:27 PM   #17
40cpe

nope, that's way above my league.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 05:01 PM   #18
KiWinUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by john greco View Post
Update, guess no one took that post seriously, I called don today to see if anyone had contacted him and he said no not from my post , he said he had a call from New Zealand and the guy came down and cleared out all three of his warehouses, 50 years of parts inc shelving and forklift for 10k dollars , how sad �� that all of it is leaving the country . It’s all gone .
That’s about $15800New Zealand plus shipping. Those parts don’t even come close to all the 20’s 30’s &40’s cars that were taken from NZ back to the US in the 60’s-70’s & flown back in military planes. But really does it matter where in the world these parts or cars are so long as they are in the hands of enthusiasts.
Cheers
Tony
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:58 PM   #19
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by john greco View Post
I'd be curious as to what this person actually purchased. For $10k I doubt it was anything particularly rare or valuable. I'm sure Don has enough contacts in SoCal that would have quickly cleaned him out that stuff for pennies on the dollar.

Parts leaving the country don't sadden me. The guys down under appreciate the old Ford and speed stuff.

FWIW, your ad had no way of contacting Don. I'm sure many people also simply assumed the amount would have been out of reach given what he was known to have had, and thought there was no point in trying to contact him since it was likely to be out of their price ranges.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:00 PM   #20
-Big Al-

Well he has a 1932 tralette vintage trailer on eBay at the moment [123933351453] with a note that he is disposing of a 40 year collection of rare pre and post war car parts.
Al.
-Big Al- is offline   Reply With Quote