Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2018, 02:12 AM   #21
hardtimes

Default Re: New B head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Why don't you post the picture here also as well as PM'ing it. There may be a couple of versions of the head as time went on. Any chance you could explain how to attach a picture to a PM? I haven't been able to do it.

Charlie Stephens
Hey Charlie,
My computer instructor showed me how to attach pictures. She(Mrs.) knows computer stuff and I just absorb some...osmosis ! I don't understand any of it and/or the lingo. You probably would not understand what I tried to tell you anyway, sorry ! There are others here who will help on this subject, like Mike/Fla ...
Anyway, the picture that Tod just posted above, is a good representative of a nice C head. Only difference of his to mine, is that mine does not have the Ford script that Tod's picture shows. I'll post a picture of it tomorrow for you.

Note: I just realized that I used the wrong language for what I send picture with. I meant to send an 'email' with picture, not a PM with picture.
Don't know how that is done either
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:17 AM   #22
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
This is what I am familiar with.

Tod
Hey Tod,
Question:
Since you make heads, maybe you can say ....what are those little 'bumps' for on this head pictured ? Are they just casting flaws, code for something or what ? My head, which I'll show you picture of tomorrow doesn't have any of those
Old 01-07-2018, 07:14 AM   #23
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey Tod,
Question:
Since you make heads, maybe you can say ....what are those little 'bumps' for on this head pictured ? Are they just casting flaws, code for something or what ? My head, which I'll show you picture of tomorrow doesn't have any of those
The little bumps are chaplets. In some casting situations they are used to support the sand cores to keep metal thickness correct and to keep cores from breaking when the weight of metal runs into the mold. Found mainly in heavier metals like iron and steel. They are also used to keep cores from floating. I have used Styrofoam in the past when pouring aluminum Auburn/Cord heads. The metal gets in around the core and then burns away the foam, but by then the core is surrounded by enough metal that it will not move.

Tod

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:08 AM   #24
Terry, NJ

I hate to be a kiljoy, but I hope more "B" water pump replacement parts become available. Admittedly, I only checked three vendors, Bert's, Tams, and Snyder's catalogs for "B" water pump parts. Except for gaskets and shafts , there was nothing available. Bert's does offer a rebuilt ($175.) The question is, how many "A" bushings, etc fit the "B" pump body?
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:36 AM   #25
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
I hate to be a kiljoy, but I hope more "B" water pump replacement parts become available. Admittedly, I only checked three vendors, Bert's, Tams, and Snyder's catalogs for "B" water pump parts. Except for gaskets and shafts , there was nothing available. Bert's does offer a rebuilt ($175.) The question is, how many "A" bushings, etc fit the "B" pump body?
Terry
I assume that people asking me about these heads already have parts. But, if quantities increase pumps can be made.

Tod
Old 01-07-2018, 01:23 PM   #26
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
The little bumps are chaplets. In some casting situations they are used to support the sand cores to keep metal thickness correct and to keep cores from breaking when the weight of metal runs into the mold. Found mainly in heavier metals like iron and steel. They are also used to keep cores from floating. I have used Styrofoam in the past when pouring aluminum Auburn/Cord heads. The metal gets in around the core and then burns away the foam, but by then the core is surrounded by enough metal that it will not move.

Tod

Tod
'chaplets'...who knew , thanks !
Anyway, here are pictures of C head that sits in shed. No idea why it has no ford script and less....'chaplets'. Looks 'normal' otherwise. Wish it had the crowfoot chamber !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (38.0 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (35.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (32.0 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by hardtimes; 01-07-2018 at 01:24 PM. Reason: .......
Old 01-08-2018, 04:32 PM   #27
Tod

Here is the B head pattern just out of the machine with a thin first coat of pattern paint applied.

Tod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180108_140446.jpg (34.0 KB, 68 views)
Old 01-13-2018, 03:35 PM   #28
Charlie Stephens

Tod,

I have 5 heads (no picture of #5). The first two have only a block "C" (note the head in post #26 matches these two). The next three have the block "C" but also a very poor "Ford" script and "USA", a number at the front of the head and something inside of the "C". Without measuring the "C" appears to be in the same location on all of the heads. I would go with #1 and #2 but would be interested in hearing comments from others. If you need high resolution copies of these photos send me your email.

Charlie Stephens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5725.jpg (27.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5726.jpg (28.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5727.jpg (25.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5728.jpg (32.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5730.jpg (30.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5731.jpg (25.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5732.jpg (25.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5733.jpg (50.3 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 01-13-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:34 PM   #29
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Tod,

I have 5 heads (no picture of #5). The first two have only a block "C" (note the head in post #26 matches these two). The next three have the block "C" but also a very poor "Ford" script and "USA", a number at the front of the head and something inside of the "C". Without measuring the "C" appears to be in the same location on all of the heads. I would go with #1 and #2 but would be interested in hearing comments from others. If you need high resolution copies of these photos send me your email.

Charlie Stephens
Looks good. I have one in the shop to go from.

Tod