Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-29-2021, 11:38 AM   #121
rotorwrench

Default Re: New baby 1953 Merc

The Borg Warner plant on Kilgore Avenue in Muncie Indiana was where the first Ford-O-Matics were manufactured by BW. Ford built the Fairfax plant starting in 1949 for its own manufacture of the FOM/MOM transmissions. It was completed and in production by the begining of the 1951 model year. Borg Warner likely started manufacture at the Marvel Schebler/Tillotson Division plant in Decatur, Illinois in 1955.

This puts most of the early 1P type transmission manufacturing between the Ford Fairfax plant and the BW Muncie plant.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 04:27 AM   #122
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: New baby 1953 Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post

The Borg Warner plant on Kilgore Avenue in Muncie Indiana was where the first Ford-O-Matics were manufactured by BW.

Borg Warner likely started manufacture at the Marvel Schebler/Tillotson Division plant in Decatur, Illinois in 1955.

This puts most of the early 1P type transmission manufacturing between the Ford Fairfax plant and the BW Muncie plant.
OK, that answers that. THANX for the info.

That explains why the only BW ID TAG I have come across were after 1954 model year. Now the question is was there a separate 1951-54 ID TAG for BW and can we find an example to duplicate.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:33 AM   #123
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
OK, that answers that. THANX for the info.

That explains why the only BW ID TAG I have come across were after 1954 model year. Now the question is was there a separate 1951-54 ID TAG for BW and can we find an example to duplicate.
My thoughts exactly. Hopefully, someone will be able to post a picture of a transmission tag (50'-53') that was built at the Muncie plant.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 05:15 PM   #124
bigd1101

Stuck valve in number 6 now. PB Blaster in the spark plug hole and let sit for a day or two?

Don't want to pull the manifold if I don't have to.....tranny shifting good now after a change.
bigd1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 06:06 PM   #125
Merc Cruzer

[QUOTE=bigd1101;2031714]Stuck valve in number 6 now. PB Blaster in the spark plug hole and let sit for a day or two?

Don't want to pull the manifold if I don't have to.....tranny shifting good now after a change.[/QUOT

Pulling the intake manifold if really a simple job. The hardest part is the vacuum line into the back of the carb, to get it to line up at the proper angle. It is a blind hole, as you lean over the side of the fender, with you head under the hood, while you are putting in back on. Other than that, it is all straight forward. Fingers crossed, hope the PB blaster works for you.

Keep us update on the PB Blaster solution.

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 07-01-2021 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:12 PM   #126
Merc Cruzer

Getting ready to change the transmission fluid, so I though I would take a few of the sheet metal parts off and repaint them. The air vent/pickup was stamped, I think by the manufacture, (Vernco Corp). Wonder who they were.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg -1.jpg (60.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9989.jpg (55.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0007 (2) 2.jpg (58.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-01-2021, 02:29 AM   #127
KULTULZ

Post Re: New baby 1953 Merc

They would be an outside supplier/vendor to FOMOCO.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 07-01-2021, 12:31 PM   #128
bigd1101

Not sure if I used the wrong stuff here. If so, I guess I'll have to drain it out. Let me know. I was sure until I read the bottom part of the bottle. I was looking at the "do not use after" model years. Then I see it says not to use where Type F is recommended. Do I need to drain this out and start over again? If so, what freaking brand DO I use??

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...All%20Products
Old 07-01-2021, 01:54 PM   #129
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd1101 View Post
Not sure if I used the wrong stuff here. If so, I guess I'll have to drain it out. Let me know. I was sure until I read the bottom part of the bottle. I was looking at the "do not use after" model years. Then I see it says not to use where Type F is recommended. Do I need to drain this out and start over again? If so, what freaking brand DO I use??

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...All%20Products
Under Product details:

"Do not use this product in transmission that specify Ford Type F,"

I am changing mine and I had to order it (Valvoline Transmission Fluid Type F) from O'Rilleys, it only took one day to get it in.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...on+fluid&pos=0

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 07-01-2021 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:31 PM   #130
bigd1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
Under Product details:

"Do not use this product in transmission that specify Ford Type F,"

I am changing mine and I had to order it (Valvoline Transmission Fluid Type F) from O'Rilleys, it only took one day to get it in.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...on+fluid&pos=0
Damn......looks like I have to drain it out. SOB. Found the right stuff.......Valvoline Type F ATF. Amazon Prime, here in two days. Will work on the stuck valve in the meantime.....LOL!

Last edited by bigd1101; 07-01-2021 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:58 PM   #131
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Damn......looks like I have to drain it out. SOB. Found the right stuff.......Valvoline Type F ATF. Amazon Prime, here in two days. Will work on the stuck valve in the meantime.....LOL!
I just went and picked up the box of 11 quarts (I want an extra one to put in the trunk). I think they don't get a call for Type F much anymore!!!!

Since it was up on the ramps anyway, I though it would be a good time to take off a coupe of pieces of sheet metal, and repaint them. Got a good picture of the torque convert drain plug for my records. I will clean off the back of the torque converter, while I am at it too.

Might want to check the bolts, to make sure they are tight, while you are there. I did for piece of mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9994.jpg (70.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9995.jpg (35.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9997.jpg (53.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9998 arrow.jpg (56.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0001 (2).jpg (52.3 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 07-01-2021 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:37 PM   #132
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
It came down to two choices for me, price might differ, depending where you buy it:

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 07-01-2021 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-01-2021, 06:21 PM   #133
Merc Cruzer

Just when I was ready to change the transmission fluid tomorrow, the gasket /filter supplier, sent me the wrong one.

I ordered picture #1 and they sent me picture #2.

Reliable supplier, (ATP), so it shouldn't take long to get me the correct one.

I guess I was wrong:

Here is the original add on E-bay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38411381192...Cclp%3A2563228

Correspondence between ATP and myself:

To: [email protected]
Sent: 7/1/2021 6:39:46 PM Mountain Standard Time
Subject: Re: blackporsche1987 sent a message about ATP Automotive Auto Transmission Filter Kit for 1952-1956 Mercury Custom pl #384113811924

My e-mail is: [email protected]

I have to admit I don't understand when you say: " We are sorry it does not appear to match the kit pictured." Why don't the parts look like the ones pictured in the add?

Send me the prepaid return label, and I will return the wrong parts, for a full refund, to include shipping and tax.

You should really change your add to reflect what is being sent when ordering: ATP Automotive Auto Transmission Filter Kit for 1952-1956 Mercury Custom pl

In a message dated 7/1/2021 6:29:14 PM Mountain Standard Time, [email protected] writes:
Dear blackporsche1987,

Hello, The part number ordered matches the part number sent on the box in the picture. This is ATP kit B-33. We are sorry it does not appear to match the kit pictured. We do not know the part number of the kit you would require with the more rectangular shape. We can provide a prepaid return label for a full refund upon return receipt of the new and uninstalled part. If you would like to be set up for a prepaid label please provide a personal email for us to send it to. We apologize for any inconvenience. If you have any questions or concerns please reach out.

Regards, Sixity Auto Direct Customer Service
Thank You, Sixity Auto Direct Customer Service:::a0S3w00001G5InCEAV:::

On 2021-07-01 21:41:39,
blackporsche1987 asked:I ordered: ATP Automotive Auto Transmission Filter Kit for 1952-1956 Mercury Custom pl:https://www.ebay.com/itm/384113811924

The first two pictures are what you sent me, the third picture is what I ordered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (21.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0002.jpg (60.8 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 07-01-2021 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:02 PM   #134
down-the-road

Quote:
Getting ready to change the transmission fluid, so I though I would take a few of the sheet metal parts off and repaint them. The air vent/pickup was stamped, I think by the manufacture, (Vernco Corp). Wonder who they were.
That stamped logo looked familiar. A box fan that came from my grandparent's house has a Vernco logo. I found a couple of short articles about Vernco in Columbus, Indiana.

http://www.therepublic.com/2020/02/1...y_get_new_use/

Built in 1935, the industrial facility originally housed the V.E. Sprouse Co., an Indianapolis-based firm that made humidifiers, fans, electric motors and auto parts. It wasn’t until 1953 that the business changed its name to Vernco Corp.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/7673...y-of-building/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vernco Fan Logo.jpg (79.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Vernco Switch Nameplate.jpg (89.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Vernco Article Snip.jpg (61.0 KB, 3 views)
down-the-road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:10 AM   #135
NZFordguy

Love it
NZFordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 03:33 AM   #136
bigd1101

Quote:
I just went and picked up the box of 11 quarts (I want an extra one to put in the trunk). I think they don't get a call for Type F much anymore!!!!

Since it was up on the ramps anyway, I though it would be a good time to take off a coupe of pieces of sheet metal, and repaint them. Got a good picture of the torque convert drain plug for my records. I will clean off the back of the torque converter, while I am at it too.

Might want to check the bolts, to make sure they are tight, while you are there. I did for piece of mind.
How many times did you have to turn the engine over to reveal the torque converter plug? And to get it at it's lowest point to drain completely? Plus how much fluid was actually in the converter?
Old 07-02-2021, 08:23 AM   #137
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: New baby 1953 Merc

Quote:

Just when I was ready to change the transmission fluid tomorrow, the gasket /filter supplier, sent me the wrong one.

I ordered picture #1 and they sent me picture #2.

Reliable supplier, (ATP), so it shouldn't take long to get me the correct one.

I guess I was wrong:

Here is the original add on E-bay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38411381192...Cclp%3A2563228

Correspondence between ATP and myself:

To: [email protected]
Sent: 7/1/2021 6:39:46 PM Mountain Standard Time
Subject: Re: blackporsche1987 sent a message about ATP Automotive Auto Transmission Filter Kit for 1952-1956 Mercury Custom pl #384113811924

My e-mail is: [email protected]

I have to admit I don't understand when you say: " We are sorry it does not appear to match the kit pictured." Why don't the parts look like the ones pictured in the add?

Send me the prepaid return label, and I will return the wrong parts, for a full refund, to include shipping and tax.

You should really change your add to reflect what is being sent when ordering: ATP Automotive Auto Transmission Filter Kit for 1952-1956 Mercury Custom pl

In a message dated 7/1/2021 6:29:14 PM Mountain Standard Time, [email protected] writes:
Dear blackporsche1987,

Hello, The part number ordered matches the part number sent on the box in the picture. This is ATP kit B-33. We are sorry it does not appear to match the kit pictured. We do not know the part number of the kit you would require with the more rectangular shape. We can provide a prepaid return label for a full refund upon return receipt of the new and uninstalled part. If you would like to be set up for a prepaid label please provide a personal email for us to send it to. We apologize for any inconvenience. If you have any questions or concerns please reach out.

Regards, Sixity Auto Direct Customer Service
Thank You, Sixity Auto Direct Customer Service:::a0S3w00001G5InCEAV:::

On 2021-07-01 21:41:39,
blackporsche1987 asked:I ordered: ATP Automotive Auto Transmission Filter Kit for 1952-1956 Mercury Custom pl:https://www.ebay.com/itm/384113811924

The first two pictures are what you sent me, the third picture is what I ordered.
... what a bunchfvck ...

It seems I was wrong in recommending them. Now if you want another caveat (Fr.) thrown into the mix, their product photos are the same as another E-BAY seller showing a NOS B9AP 7A098-B FM filter.

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Transmission...c/264297128980

When you expand the attachments there is descriptive text below them.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 07-02-2021 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:34 AM   #138
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by down-the-road View Post
That stamped logo looked familiar. A box fan that came from my grandparent's house has a Vernco logo. I found a couple of short articles about Vernco in Columbus, Indiana.

http://www.therepublic.com/2020/02/1...y_get_new_use/

Built in 1935, the industrial facility originally housed the V.E. Sprouse Co., an Indianapolis-based firm that made humidifiers, fans, electric motors and auto parts. It wasn’t until 1953 that the business changed its name to Vernco Corp.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/7673...y-of-building/
Cool and very interesting.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:59 AM   #139
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
How many times did you have to turn the engine over to reveal the torque converter plug? And to get it at it's lowest point to drain completely? Plus how much fluid was actually in the converter?
As to lining up the plug to the bottom. The transmission has to be in neutral, so block the rear wheels and pull the emergency brake handle all the way out, to lock the rear brakes, if you are using a ramp for the front wheels.Take the plate off the bottom access hole (picture # 3). I used a fathead pry bar and put it up the bottom hole, on the outer fins of the torque converter, and using the side of the hole to brace the bar, rotated the housing until the hole was at the bottom.

I would guess maybe a quart will remain in the converter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9990.jpg (80.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9991.jpg (53.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9992.jpg (56.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-02-2021, 09:11 AM   #140
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
... what a bunchfvck ...

It seems I was wrong in recommending them. Now if you want another caveat (Fr.) thrown into the mix, their product photos are the same as another E-BAY seller showing a NOS B9AP 7A098-B FM filter.

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Transmission...c/264297128980

When you expand the attachments there is descriptive text below them.
I am trying this guy now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15437105901...733b00e67b8533

I might just be setting myself up for failure again.

Who would ever guess changing the trans fluid on the car would be such an issue. When I called O'Riellys to check on the one they had advertised, they said it was special order and I would have to pay shipping.

Remember that discussion on just cleaning the screen a few post back, well it might just come to that. I checked with the guy that has the NOS screen and it doesn't have the "O" rings. Probably not an issue anyway, as they would be all dried out by now.

If worse comes to worse, I could always just clean the filter/screen and use silicone for the gasket. My fingers are crossed on the new surlier, his screen name is (guaranteedtofit)

Today's project, make a box, to put the box the incorrect filter and gasket came in, to send it back for a refund. They sent it in a bag with bubble wrap.