Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-13-2016, 04:19 AM   #1
coupe1942

Default Passenger door adjustment questions

On the passenger side of my 82-B pickup, the door has about a 1/4" or larger opening when fully closed. I don't have any manuals available at present to guide me in making any proper adjustments to close the door more firmly or securely. I am not certain if a new striker plate, dove tail or what ever is necessary of if there is an adjustment which can easily be made to lock the door into place more securely when closed. I am not sure if anything is worn out and in need of replacement or if it is simply an adjustment that is all that would be necessary. When I have the door handle in the proper orientation and close the door firmly, there is still a gap there which allows rattling and makes me uncomfortable that the door is as fully closed as it should be.

Can someone give me some tips at how to go about in fixing this problem or at least determining if the '30 model 82-B needs new parts or not?

Unfortunately, my truck is such a deep black color that is is often difficult to obtain good photos of the area I am addressing. Here are a couple though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 88.jpg (85.6 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 74.jpg (85.3 KB, 93 views)
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:27 AM   #2
ron103140

Default Re: Passenger door adjustment questions

Loosen the 2 screws on the striker plate. Tap the striker plate in toward the seat and re tighten screws. Ron
ron103140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:56 AM   #3
Farrell In Vancouver

I had the same issue with my 82B and fiddled with the latch plate for about an hour to no avail. Then I had a look at the latch tongue itself in the door and realized it was worn enough to not allow the latch to catch the striker plate. I remove the Latch and welded up the edge with a MIG and dressed it with a file. Problem solved. I had done this to the drivers door previously, but figured the passenger door could not have be worn that bad as it not used as much.
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:12 AM   #4
coupe1942

I had previously loosened those two screws, but the striker plate didn't move and I didn't want to screw up anything by forcing it at the time. I'll give it another try to see if that works for me or not. My welding skills are the pitts and I have not even taken and put together the small welder i had purchased about 6 months back. I have a table for it, but have never even assembled it, as we have been so busy with remodeling in our home and my garage is like a storage shed with all the stuff in disarray out there presently.

Thanks for the tips, I'l give them a shot.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:26 AM   #5
Big hammer

Look at parts catalogs and see the parts your working with! If my memory is right :-) the back side is serrated. So if it won't move don't force it with a big hammer, loosen the screws more, pull out on striker and reposition it!
Big hammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:41 PM   #6
coupe1942

Follow up to above suggestions:

I had been a bit afraid to remove those two large screws as I was scared in stripping something or running into a problem I had not previously known about. Well, I pulled the screws out and the plate, but I didn't notice what I viewed as serrations to the back of the plate. None the less, I cleaned up everything and tried my best to move the plate forward toward the driver's side by repositioning it as suggested. I tightened it all down, all the while worrying over one of the screws stripping. One screw had a chipped off end where the screwdriver blade would insert. Any rate, it all seemed to work very well, as the door closes now with a solid lock and no rattles at present. It may loosen later, but for now it sure seems much better than it previously was.

Thanks for the tips and advise, guys. It all helps.