Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-31-2015, 10:08 AM   #1
markivpedalpusher

Default 1940 Ford Pick up Passenger Door Lock

When I purchased my truck there was no key to the passenger door lock. I picked up a vintique repop door lock assembly and possibly an NOS or older after market door lock with Yale keys. I would like to install the lock with the Yale keys. But there is the problem. The set screw that holds the lock in is missing and the set screw hole is about the size of a dime which means at some point the set screw hole has been jacked up and over sized. So my question is does anyone have any ideas of how to get the lock assembly to stay in the door? The access hole to where the set screw should be is too small to take a picture. I could use an adhesive in the lock cylinder hole but I'm apprehensive to install it like that. If anyone has installed these locks you know the set screw side is not accessible to modify at least from what I can see.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (3).jpg (27.8 KB, 39 views)
markivpedalpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:51 PM   #2
47 flatbed

Default Re: 1940 Ford Pick up Passenger Door Lock

There should be a hole I think about 1/4 inch (originally) then the set screw. Is the first hole dime size or the actuall the set screw hole? I'm lucky both my 47 and wife's 41 were all there and set screws.
47 flatbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:10 PM   #3
fordor41

I didn't think Ford put P.S. locks in until '41. That's maybe why there isn't a set screw hole. Also in '41 the lock has a u-joint in the shaft that fits into the door latch to make the lock and latch line up. Same on a '40?
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:42 AM   #4
Roger/Sacramento

A threaded tube is attached to the door frame. A long screw is run down the tube to meet the flat portion of the lock assembly. The correct length would be when the end pushes against the lock and the other end is flush with the door jamb. The pressure against the lock keeps it in place.

http://s818.photobucket.com/home/roglehr/index
Roger/Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:13 AM   #5
GB SISSON

Now maybe I can finally get the lock cylinder out of my panel's pass side door. I have the tube and I'm guessing the set screw is sort of deep in there. What am I looking at for a screw head? Slotted? Probably not allen, but??
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:05 AM   #6
Tinker

It's slotted.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:14 AM   #7
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by markivpedalpusher View Post
When I purchased my truck there was no key to the passenger door lock. I picked up a vintique repop door lock assembly and possibly an NOS or older after market door lock with Yale keys. I would like to install the lock with the Yale keys. But there is the problem. The set screw that holds the lock in is missing and the set screw hole is about the size of a dime which means at some point the set screw hole has been jacked up and over sized. So my question is does anyone have any ideas of how to get the lock assembly to stay in the door? The access hole to where the set screw should be is too small to take a picture. I could use an adhesive in the lock cylinder hole but I'm apprehensive to install it like that. If anyone has installed these locks you know the set screw side is not accessible to modify at least from what I can see.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
You should have been able to take the old cylinder, once removed, to a good locksmith with some blank keys and have them re-key with the code on the cylinder.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Key-Blanks-F...e2e049&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-ORIGINA...4f61c0&vxp=mtr

How was the old one held in there without the set screw?

Someone must have drilled out the entire setscrew hole and post because at a dime size the whole thing would be gone So you cant tap it.

Not sure I'd glue it in there.

Maybe some sort of collar with a replacement setscrew piece (short round bar drilled and tapped, then welded to the collar) would work. But it would be difficult to adhere it to the door... you'd most likely have to remove the door regular to get it in there.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Tinker; 06-04-2015 at 10:37 AM. Reason: added question.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:31 PM   #8
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

I think slotted set screw up to about 1940, allen after that, I think original threads are 10-32
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:44 PM   #9
Tinker

That's good to know Bruce. I had no idea that they used allen wrench screws that far back.