Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2015, 07:48 PM   #1
markivpedalpusher

Default Newbie Question: Houdaille Shock Absorber 40 Ford Truck

First time poster with a newbie question. Whats the easiest and best way to check my rear Houdaille shock absorbers? My truck is leaning like a cholo

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-04-10 16.22.49b.jpg (104.2 KB, 43 views)
markivpedalpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
41panelmark

Default Re: Newbie Question: Houdaille Shock Absorber 40 Ford Truck

Hi and welcome. Nice truck. I will make a guess that it is not the shock absorbers. Most likely leaf spring issue as the shocks do not support the weight of the truck per se. Possible bent leaf springs, center of one or both springs has moved due to cracks in crossmemebers or broken bolts that hold the leafs together. I am sure others will chime in with ideas to check for also.
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:03 PM   #3
markivpedalpusher

Thank you that's good to know. I was planning to take the shock absorbers off this weekend to check them. Anymore input on my issue is appreciated. I better take a look at the leaf springs as well. I do know the right side bounces up and down and bottoms out easily.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:11 AM   #4
scooder

Have a real good look around under there, compare side for side.
The only way I think a shock would make it lean Luke that is if it's seized in position. And real bouncy on one side, maybe shock is not doing what it's ment to, to floppy. This one would have no resistance when you disconnect and move the arm up and down.
I think you may have bad shocks and some other issues, suspension wise. Like I say a good look under there.
Good luck,
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:29 AM   #5
blucar

I would doubt very much that your leaning problem is connected to a faulty shock, the problem is most likely a broken/bent main leaf in the spring, worn out shackle pins in the spring eyes and/or differential.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:03 AM   #6
Terry,OH

Leaning is not due to shocks. The shocks will stay in whatever position you place the arm. They do not effect lean or ride height, that is most likely spring related.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:48 PM   #7
markivpedalpusher

I spent a few hours under the truck today. I checked the shock absorbers and they work fine. Also checked the shackle links and there a little sticky but work. I'm guessing the next step is a replacent leaf spring. When I jacked the truck up and put the axle on jack stands the bed was dead level.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:38 AM   #8
BILL WZOREK

Remember what I told you in the email , the picture of that shock you sent me looks like it is leaking so make sure you keep it full of oil or you will have a bad shock in a very short time >>
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:39 AM   #9
blucar

In all probability the spring is the problem. With the passage of time and mileage it is hard to say just what type of use the truck has been subjected to, and the source of the parts that were used to make repairs.
Upon close inspection, it is quite common to find that the shackle pins have worn through the bushings in the spring eye and or differential.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:34 AM   #10
markivpedalpusher

Thanks Bill W for the reminder and thanks for all the replies to this thread I really appreciate it. Does anyone have any advice on replacement leaf springs? Several springs have been removed from the ones on my truck. I'm not sure if the aftermarket springs with the 2.5" drop will be low enough and whether or not they come apart so I can have the same height in the back. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4665.JPG (95.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4666.JPG (103.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4667.JPG (72.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4668.JPG (94.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4670.JPG (78.0 KB, 44 views)
Old 05-10-2015, 09:46 AM   #11
skidmarks

ExHave you worked on early ford springs before? If not you have to be careful and Count all your fingers before you start. You will need a spring spreader to remove and replace the spring. Next if you plan on taking the entire spring apart you need a couple large quality made c clamps. You can re arch a worn spring but best is to replace it with a good original ford spring.

Also you will need a new center bolt if you take the spring apart
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:03 AM   #12
Henry/Kokomo

It may be my eyesight but, it looks like the main leaf may have a bit of a kink near the U-bolts in one of the pictures. Definitely time for some spring work or replacement. I'm involved in a spring project myself and I feel your pain. Good luck!
Old 05-11-2015, 09:16 AM   #13
blucar

Judging from the pix and text in your posting #10, the whole story now comes out, you're dealing with a modified rear spring.. I kinda had a feeling that this was the situation.
If you are trying to maintain a "cruiser stance", in lieu of a conventional truck look, I would suggest that you contact "Posie", inquiring about one of their Super Slider springs.
You can try talking to a local shop that claims to be spring experts, however, in the end you will waste your time and money.
Removing the springs under an Early Ford V8 is quite easy if you have the proper tools and a little insight as to what the procedure is. A spring good spreader is a must!!
If you contact me through a PM I'll send you the instructions as to how to make a fool proof spring spreader.. See attached pix.
The spring shown in the pix is a rear '47-48 spring that is under my '36 Ford.
Foot Note!
I just reviewed your pix again, doing so I noted the pix #1., which is upside down, clearly shows a spring with reversed spring eyes and about half as many leaves as a stock spring. A conventional spring spreader will not work on a spring that has reversed spring eyes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spr.sprdr.1.jpg (55.4 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by blucar; 05-11-2015 at 09:37 AM.
blucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:36 PM   #14
scooder

You can use a conventional spring spreader with reverse eye springs, you can use a couple o bits of angle iron bolted together clamping the end of the spring by the eye, then you have something for the spreader to sit against.
Martin.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:45 PM   #15
scooder

Just been looking at your pics, there are some issues that must be addressed. One is that the spring clamps about halfway down the spring ain't clamping nothing, just sat there with no through bolt/rivet. I'm not sure the The rear u bolt bars are clamping properly, they look in the pic to be hard against the cross member, if they are, their not clamping the spring into the cross member properly.
Looks like a quicky "lower it and sell it" job. So I'd recommend going through everything that that Guy did.
Earlyer I said I think you got a shock problem, this was based on the fact that one side is really bouncy. That side has a bad shock, it should not be bouncy.
Martin.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:47 PM   #16
markivpedalpusher

blucar thanks for the contact info for Posie great resource for sure! And thanks for your time I appreciate it.

scooder I agree a friend of mine told me same about the shims and not clamping properly. How should the u bolts be clamping to the cross member in regards to they may not be clamping the spring into the cross member properly. Sorry I need the rear suspension for dummies version. I'm a newb but learning quickly. Thanks for your help

The truck was restored a long time ago and I'm going through it little by little
Old 05-11-2015, 03:39 PM   #17
scooder

The U bolts, the U bolts them selves should contact the crossmember across the top and down the front and back, yours look ok here from what I can see. The cross piece that goes front to back from leg to leg of the bolt. This should be hard against the spring but NOT the crossmember. If it's touching the crossmember, the chance that it tightly clamps the spring is very small. There's a raised pad on the cross piece, this is the bit that does the clamping. So when it's all in place properly and proper tight, there should be a gap between the eyes of the cross piece and the crossmember lip. It's this bit that looked like it's up against the lip from what I can see in the pic. Check this, front and back.
From what I can see of the attention to detail that was used when lowering your truck, I'd also check that the center spring bolt is in the center hole in the crossmember. But I spec your gonna be dropping the springs out of the crossmember to check for busted leaves. Don't need a spring spreader for t a check, just undo The U bolts and shocks and lower the axle till you can see all the spring.
when you put it back, some kind of locking of the nuts is needed, be it nylocks or castle nuts and cotter pins or something, it look like plain nuts in the pic, not good.
let us know what you find.
Martin.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:05 PM   #18
markivpedalpusher

Thanks Martin this will help me a lot next round under the truck. A friend of mine was also schooling me on the funky nuts non castle and no cotter pins. And suggested checking to see if the center spring bolt is in the center hole of the cross member. I'm thinking I will replace the whole U bolt assembly at some point. Thanks for the detailed steps much appreciated.