Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
jcheshire31

Default Town Sedan vs. Fordor Sedan

Is there a difference between a fordor sedan and a town sedan? If so what are they?
jcheshire31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
Arlen

Default Re: Town Sedan vs. Fordor Sedan

On the outside, not much. The Town Sedan has cowl lights and a few different paint options. On the inside is another story. The Town sedan was one of the most expensive A's built and it showed on the inside. The Town Sedan has the woodgrained pieces, carpet front and rear, optional mohair covered seats, and a fancier headliner. The dome light was moved to the very back seat, window shades on all rear glass, and a fold down rear center arm rest. All interior bright work was butler finish.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
Aerocraft

In addition to what Arlen has mentioned, the '29 Town Sedans, both Briggs and Murray, had a nickle plated brass cowl band. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
Brian SATX

James- your car in the avitar looks like a slant window so it is a little more confusing. No slant windows had curtains on the rear 1/4 windows. Some slants had robe rails, some had pockets on the rear of the front seat but no pockets in the doors. You might wnat to get with the Town Sedan club and start a membership with them. Look at the indexes and start your library with the back issues that have information on slants. email for membership is [email protected]

By the way, My slant was assembled in Dallas.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:35 AM   #5
Maclab58

Is there a town sedan club? I have a 160B and would be interested in some information about it. Thanks!
Maclab58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:24 AM   #6
jcheshire31

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Mine has cowl lights, full woodgrain, carpet front and rear, it doesn't have mohair (thankfully) the reason I say this is because we have mohair in our coupe and it sure gets itchy after awhile, and i'm not sure in the differences in the headliner. The dome light is behind/above the back seat and only the very rear window has a shade. It does not have center arm rest either, but it does have a pocket on the rear of the front seat and on the rear doors. Is some of this mix matched? Mine is a early 31 S/W. Not sure on the exact month of production though.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:27 AM   #7
jcheshire31

Also I forgot to add, I don't know if this makes a difference or not, but it has the internal locking door handles (push up on handle to lock) and the rear 1/4 windows roll down.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:44 AM   #8
Jordan

i agree with the mohair getting itchy, hot, annoying. When (far from now) when i restore my car, it'll get bedford cord interior or that cartoushe stuff that isn't so long and itchy.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:40 AM   #9
Brian SATX

J You have a Town Sedan. Internal locking handles were on all SW cars. The pass. side door handle should have a lock in the handle.There are several ways to fake it of course, by addiing all the TS unique stuff, but it sounds like yours is the real thing. There were several interiors available, the fold down arm rest was stopped in the early production of the SW sedans. Do you have any stamps showing assembly location-- it is usually by the driver entry. I have attached a copy of what mine looks like, enhanced by chalk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg atsnumbers 002.jpg (50.1 KB, 143 views)
Old 11-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #10
Aerocraft

The "Town Sedan Club" is up and running again thanks to Don Gambill, 3830 N. Kootenai Court, Casa Grande, AZ 85122. His email is [email protected] . Membership is a mere twelve dollars per year. Much of the technical information that is published is applicable to all Model A's. The latest newsletter is 17 pages of pictures stories and includes an article on how to rebuild a pop-out! Subsequent newsletters will be sent via email. I recommend the club to all Model A enthusiasts! Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #11
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SATX View Post
J You have a Town Sedan. Internal locking handles were on all SW cars. The pass. side door handle should have a lock in the handle.There are several ways to fake it of course, by addiing all the TS unique stuff, but it sounds like yours is the real thing. There were several interiors available, the fold down arm rest was stopped in the early production of the SW sedans. Do you have any stamps showing assembly location-- it is usually by the driver entry. I have attached a copy of what mine looks like, enhanced by chalk.
Somebody must have done a nice adaptation of an straight windshield TS rear seat to a 160-B years ago to have so many folks believe some were produced that way. The Ford records are very clear that they never produced a 160-B, C with a split rear backrest nor did they ever produce one with 4" pleats which would also be required. Of course the 160-A standard DID have 4" pleats.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #12
jcheshire31

I looked for that number and couldn't find it at all. It doesn't look like that area has been tampred with either. Would there be another location on/in the body that shows where it was built?
Old 11-22-2011, 09:16 PM   #13
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcheshire31 View Post
I looked for that number and couldn't find it at all. It doesn't look like that area has been tampred with either. Would there be another location on/in the body that shows where it was built?
They are often closer to the center just behind the wooden floor board. However not all bodies had them.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #14
jim k

does anyone have this pattern cloth in their town sedan

Last edited by jim k; 05-04-2017 at 06:50 PM.
jim k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:55 AM   #15
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim k View Post
does anyone have this pattern cloth in their town sedan

I've been trying to acquire samples of those fabrics for years but not common here on the west coast. I added a proper description of it to the Standards in the 90's. There is a good archive pic of it in DeAngelis' (coauthored) book.

For those unfamiliar, the "stripes" are not actually a change in fabric color but a smooth (sans nap) line in napped wool fabric which highlight in photos. The trim welts, windlace, etc, are a nice contrasting artificial leather.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:03 AM   #16
jim k

Marco I haven't been able to find anything out about this fabric. I took a sample to Hershey to show the people from LeBaron Bonney. The lady there said she has only seen about 3 or 4 cars with that fabric which is why they don't carry it
Old 11-24-2011, 12:34 PM   #17
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim k View Post
Marco I haven't been able to find anything out about this fabric. I took a sample to Hershey to show the people from LeBaron Bonney. The lady there said she has only seen about 3 or 4 cars with that fabric which is why they don't carry it
Jim, Is it your plan to redo the interior in your Town Sedan? From the photos it looks like it may worth preserving. The tan broadcloth interior trim replaced the brown bedford cord option on the 160-B&C, Victoria, and Deluxe Coupe in June 1931. It was also available in the Deluxe Tudor when introduced in July.

Examples of the tan broadcloth trim scheme are not common today for a few reasons. First, It was used for a relatively short time during slowing production. On the five vehicles listed it was optional with brown mohair so only a percentage of those models were produced that way. And finally, there aren't many surviving original interiors these days of ALL Model A types combined!

The pic below is David Moore's terrific original Victoria.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:33 PM   #18
jim k

Marco I wish I didn't have to replace it but it is very rotted in spots and the front seat had paint spilled on it at one time before I got the car. I'm just not sure what to replace it with. even the rear carpet is still there but in very poor shape and the front is gone.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:40 PM   #19
jim k

I'm also not positive but I believe my car is an early 31 because it doesn't have the indented fire wall. Hopefully I will find out this winter when I have time to check the serial no. on the frame. The engine was replaced years ago with a 29 engine according to the number on it. All other features tell me it's a 31.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:51 AM   #20
Ed Saniewski

Jim, I have the same tan broadcloth seat upholstery. I was able to clean it with Woolite and a Bissell green machine carpet cleaner. My car has an engine number from March 31 and is not an indented firewall. Dose your front seat have a pocket or a cord? Do you have door pockets on all doors?

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote