Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-03-2020, 05:30 AM   #21
tomkc1

Default Re: My '34 Won't Turnover

Thanks everyone. In the end I didn't have to change the switch. Yesterday while checking connections I cleaned a lot of them including the two on the starter switch and the battery cables ect. When I was finished low and behold the motor turned over. After a couple of tries the motor started and purred like it always has.
I do learn a little more each time and so grateful to everyone here on the Barn. Thanks for all the help. Tom
tomkc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 09:34 PM   #22
tomkc1

So here I am a year later (and a year older) with the same problem. I did notice that the ground cable at the battery was scorching hot after trying to start it today. So I cleaned the battery terminals as well as taking off the ground cable and cleaning it. No start. The engine attempted to turn over but very slightly then nothing. Once again the ground was very hot.
Tomorrow I'll clean more connections but that hot cable has me concerned. I don't remember that from last year. Any idea what's happening there?
Tom
Old 11-28-2021, 12:26 AM   #23
cas3

heat = resistance, as in a bad connection. clean it all again, cable and bolts too and report back
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 01:32 AM   #24
koates

Sounds like the old battery cable copper wires or conductors where they are fitted into the tunnel of the battery terminal clamp have a corroded connection. Substitute a jump starter cable between the battery positive terminal and the other end on to the engine block and try it. Buy a new earth cable but not a modern one as they are made for a 12 volt system and are too light. Have to be heavy gauge such as O B&S or buy from THIRD GENERATION AUTO. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 06:11 AM   #25
tomkc1

As a follow up, I've been suspicious of the ground cable with my motor not turning over. It was a new one that I bought from NAPA last year. So I called Third Generation Automotive and ordered one. It was my first time ordering from them. The cable arrived in 3 days and once I installed it the motor turned over like a champ! Thank you Third Generation and thank you Barners.
Now I'm going to look for a new exhaust system to replace my 50 year old one and opened to suggestions.
Tom
Old 01-10-2022, 04:25 PM   #26
rockfla

tomkc1
Remember your 6V systems NEED cables for 6V, NOT 12V SO in the future the cables needed are MUCH bigger than 12V cables. That is ONE of the main reasons your cable gets hot is TOO SMALL of a cable diameter. Yes your system is 6V but it is twice the amount of amps as a 12V system thus the need for heavier cables!!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:12 PM   #27
koates

THIRD GENERATION AUTOMOTIVE is the first go too shop to buy anything for your 1934 Ford. Michael can also direct you to possible problems you may have with your Ford. Their service is top notch. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:40 AM   #28
Tinker

Hey just as a thought. The starter grounds to the motor. Lot of times motors get painted then the starter is put on. Doesn't always make for a good ground connection. Adding a ground to the motor doesn't hurt anything either.

Buy some 00 welding cable and make up your battery leads.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote