Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #21
Hicktick

Default Re: value opinions

Translation , He didn't sell it , everybody passed on it
Hicktick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #22
BCCHOPIT

That tells me he thinks the asking price is high.

You could post his number so we can all ask his questions
Old 12-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #23
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanspeed View Post
I just got a very angry text from the man selling it telling me that I was a "insert bad word here" and that I was just wasting his time. Wow, some people. Glad I passed on it.
Obviously there is not a line of prospective buyers.......

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #24
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCHOPIT View Post
That tells me he thinks the asking price is high.

You could post his number so we can all ask his questions

That would be funny, if it were a Craigslist Ad and the fellow got 50 emails all recomending he sell it for 6K or some such number..

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #25
Keith True

Where I am that truck could bring more than he is asking for it,as long as the sheet metal is as good as it looks.I know what it would bring here,it could be worth half or double elsewhere.Model A's are a little different to sell than other cars,A lot of Model A people are cheapskates,that is why we have them.I have four because they are cheaper to buy/own/fix one high dollar car.I don't waste much time with lowbawlers,I set the price at what I want and let them buy or pass on there own.If they try to make an offer,(even after I tell them no offers) I just say I will think about lowering the price if I don't sell it in 4 or 5 years.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:22 PM   #26
Brother Hesekiel

Unless that truck is "the one" for you, because your dad got laid in it 50 years ago or you have exactly the missing parts for it in the barn, the line of action is to make a decent but not too high offer and wait for him to get tired of tire kickers who waste his time. It may not work every time, but it will work eventually. Buy the truck for the amount of money, that allows you to finish it at $10 per hour, plus parts invested, and sell it at a profit when you're done.

Assuming you could sell the finished truck for $12K, deduct $2,500 profit, which leaves you with $9,500 total investment, and deduct from this parts purchases and your hours times $10. That's your number to pay for the thing.
Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #27
BCCHOPIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
Where I am that truck could bring more than he is asking for it,as long as the sheet metal is as good as it looks.I know what it would bring here,it could be worth half or double elsewhere.Model A's are a little different to sell than other cars,A lot of Model A people are cheapskates,that is why we have them.I have four because they are cheaper to buy/own/fix one high dollar car.I don't waste much time with lowbawlers,I set the price at what I want and let them buy or pass on there own.If they try to make an offer,(even after I tell them no offers) I just say I will think about lowering the price if I don't sell it in 4 or 5 years.
I am with you on that. It would sell for more here in Ct.
At that price here it would not last a week.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:00 AM   #28
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Here is how I figure it,
Do you want to buy a vehicle to fix and sell in a hurry? Figure the restoration costs plus a profit minus the amount you will sell it for and that is your price to purchase the car.

Do you want a car that you will keep and enjoy for years? Then pay what you can afford and drive it as the price for the car will go up over the years to a point where it will be "correct".

If you paid $10,000 in the 70's they would have told you you were crazy, but now it would be worth more that that. Get the picture?
Old 12-06-2013, 06:03 AM   #29
cradlescyth

F W I W $5500.00

on a good day
cradlescyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #30
ronn

A lot of Model A people are cheapskates,that is why we have them.I have four because they are cheaper to buy/own/fix one high dollar car.

Keith, while I fully understand your sentiment, try going over to the VCCA (chevy club)
they make the Ford group look like saints! While I have a few other model cars, I find
the Ford group on this site to be extremely fair, knowledgeable and helpful. Can't say
the same about the chevy club and why I hardly bother to go there.

The Ford Barn has long won me over.....
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #31
Keith True

I've always found old car people to be fine,no matter what kind if iron they're into.The biggest chiselers I've seen are the British bike people.I've owned dozens of them,those guys can really grind on your pricing.Of all the A owners I know,only a handfull are on the computer.Most of those seem a little different than the old timers that I grew up seeing around here.I have found over the years that most of the self proclaimed pricing experts don't own one.I had a cousin that wanted an A,but it was going to be at his price.He had spent 40 years looking,and finally bought one the year before he died.He bought a pretty nice Tudor for three times the price he passed up on a roadster in 1972.The thing was,he could afford it,but because he had the money he felt he could always find somebody hard up that needed it more than the car.That may be true for other cars,but most A people don't seem to get into financial pickles.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #32
Conair007

Sometimes things just take care of themselves. Usually if you have to ask or have doubts you need to step back and think things through. Another 3 or 4 k would get you in a painted running driving truck, with less work.
Conair007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #33
BlueSunoco

Keith, your cousin sured showed them. Basically wasted his life, wanted a Model A and screwed around until it was too late. He was the loser in that deal.

Time does marcheth on............ for ALL of us..........
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #34
Keith True

Exactly.He did wind up owning a special coupe along the way,but it was a 40's fixup,a barn car that had been patched up as a driver during the war.He was also scared that if he spent his money on a car the one he was really looking for would show up after he spent his money.He really was a good tinkerer/welder,and wanted to build a 32 roadster if he found the right body.We saw one at Amherst one morning,(local swap meet).It was just a body sitting on a trailer.It was about 5:30 in the morning,at that place the good buys are gone by 5:30 or 6:00.The price was $6500.He said we'll see what the guy will take at the end of the day.It sold within seconds of us turning around from looking at it.The buyer was taking it to Hershey to resell.