Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-12-2020, 02:42 PM   #1
tanner

Default Stubborn Starter Drive

My 49 F-1 starter was dragging badly so I removed it and had it rebuilt. I was using the newer style bendix from D. Carpenter and had a devil of a time getting it out although I had previously notched the end of the bendix as instructed to get it past the flywheel. Just to be safe, I installed my new spare bendix with new notch to facilitate installation and after using all of my best curse words, finally got it in and all hooked up. Tried it out and engine fired in a split second but the started was raising holy h... so I shut it off and proceeded to remove it. New bendix is toast.
Here is my problem: For the life of me I cannot get the dang bendix out past the ring gear teeth. I even took the case off the starter to get more wiggle room but no luck. I've fought it and cussed it for over four hours.
Question: When installed, the bendix goes into a "sheet metal can" on the back of the bell housing. Is this can removable? I can rotate it with channel locks but am afraid to use too much force. If I had it out, I think I could remove the bendix from the starter shaft. Otherwise, I might have to remove the transmission to get the bendix out. Needless to say, I have an original spring style (made in USA) on the way if and when I can get this one out.
tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 03:43 PM   #2
swedishsteel

Default Re: Stubborn Starter Drive

This won't help with the removal, but double check the bendix when you do it get it out--it probably isn't toast. A while back the bendix crapped on my neighbors '56 Lincoln (same bendix setup). He got a new one and we put it in, and same as you, when it started the starter made an unholy screech. Shut it down, and exchanged for a new bendix. What had actually happened was that before installation, the bendix had gotten turned to "engage" position, and it will not retract without taking it apart when that happens. In your case, it sounds like your bendix make have gotten turned before you got it installed. That may be why you are having a difficult time getting it out as well. Good luck.
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:31 PM   #3
tanner

Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I am sure the bendix was not extended since I don't think it could be installed unless compressed due to the zero clearance with the starter mounting plate. This is the third one I have installed and all were very difficult even following the sellers instructions about filing a notch in the end of the outer ring to pass by the ring gear teeth. This is a real "square peg in a round hole" deal and the last "new" style for this old man. The outer bell shaped cover with the gear teeth separated from the internal mechanism and is free to slide and spin on the motor shaft.
Whatever happened, this sucker has to come out one way or another. I am attaching two photos for a better idea of my issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Loose cover.jpg (26.6 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Tight fit.jpg (31.9 KB, 87 views)
Old 11-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #4
fordwife

Just a wild guess, wrong bendix? A lot of us have replaced these starters many times and have never had this problem.
fordwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:19 PM   #5
tanner

If it went in it has to come out
Old 11-12-2020, 09:44 PM   #6
Jack E/NJ

>>>If it went in it has to come out>>>

Absolutely! Sorta like a drywall nut or fishhook. They go in with difficulty one way. Then come out with more diffculty another way. Jack E/NJ

Attached Images
File Type: jpg wallnut.jpg (18.8 KB, 4 views)
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:06 PM   #7
4t8v8

Left the starter plate loose on my F1. Starter went in and out with no problem.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:02 AM   #8
tanner

New or old style bendix drive?
Old 11-14-2020, 05:54 PM   #9
4t8v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner View Post
New or old style bendix drive?
New style.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:36 AM   #10
fortyonerag

I have read some folks have had the newer style Bendix/barrel drive rub a little on the bell housing. I have one here and it's a little larger in diameter than the stock set up.

Might be an issue? Just saying......
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:46 AM   #11
Mac VP

We gave up selling starters with that modern drive. We now bring them in without that drive....then we install the old style bendix drive on them here. The bendix drives we install are also available to buy separately and they’re made in the good old USA. Plus, the starter goes in normally, without any grinding (of the drive or your teeth).
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote