Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-21-2016, 09:57 PM   #1
Gufshoz

Default Normal temp/using water

I'm not sure why my '30 is using so much water. I just had the radiator boiled out and a leak repaired. The radiator has been pressure tested and is in good shape. I installed a new water pump and ground the impeller back about 1/16'' because it was splashing water out of the filler. Now it doesn't and I can feel the water circulate when I put my finger in the radiator. The motor runs well and the water temp gauge is always in the normal (green). I placed a rag by the overflow outlet after driving for about 10 miles and it was wet, so I guess I'm losing the water through the overflow. I lose about 1/2 gal. during a 20 min. drive. Should I grind more off of the impeller? I'm not too concerned yet because it doesn't overheat, but I think it just a matter of time on longer drives with losing that much coolant. I have been using "Water Wetter" and distilled water as the coolant. Any suggestions?
Gufshoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:03 PM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Normal temp/using water

Keep your level at the baffle height. It sounds like your overfilling it since you can touch the water with your finger to feel the flow...I use 50/50. Works best for overall cooling system health

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 09-22-2016 at 05:21 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:16 AM   #3
Dollar Bill

As Mitch indicated, you are likely overfilling the radiator. Lower the level to just above the flues and install a temporary overflow tank to gauge if or how much you're losing.

You may also consider installing a thermostat to help regulate water flow and there's also the roofing nail in the overflow pipe solution.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:41 AM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

For the slight cost why not use a 50 / ;50 mix ? It contains a rust inhibitor and a water pump lubroiicant. You ad not really saving much if any money by useing water. As Mitch said run it at the top of he baffles. Also do a search as there have been many prior posts on the subject. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:03 AM   #5
BILL WILLIAMSON

Try dropping a LARGE head roofing nail into the top of the overflow tube. It's a PROVEN Old Time fix, even recommended by the DEALERS!
Bill W.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:35 PM   #6
1crosscut

Yep probably too full. Most Model A's don't agree too well with having the radiator topped off. Let it spit water out until it finds the level it likes.
As long as the tops of your tubes in the radiator are covered you will be fine.
Get a cheap dial meat thermometer from the grocery store or Bed Bath and Beyond etc... and check your water temperature. That way you can better know how your engine is feeling.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:28 PM   #7
Chuck Sea/Tac

Service bulletins!!!! No hole in baffle, and bend the overflow towards the front, against the neck
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:30 PM   #8
MikeK

It is also possible that your head gasket leaks exhaust into the water jacket when under heavy throttle. The bubbles will cause an expanded volume that goes out the overflow. Have you retorqued lately?

There are also several ways to check for this- electronic radiator sniffers, chem test kits/ acid strips, filling the rad to the top then pressurizing individual cylinders with shop air through a plug adapter and watching for a rise in the rad H2O level. A compression test that gives normal model A readings does not mean the gasket holds up when subjected to cylinder firing pressure.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:30 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
Service bulletins!!!! No hole in baffle, and bend the overflow towards the front, against the neck
Actually the Bulletins want you to bend the overflow pipe towards the rear of the fill neck, but on my 28 I left it original with the pipe towards the front, and mine does fine now that I cleaned out the cooling system and added a thermostat.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote