Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
MrTube

Default NOT "A" old houses.

Again I apologize for posting non "A" related things on the forum.

Have had no luck in other forums and I know many many people on the Fordbarn are knowledgeable in things like this.

I own an old house, but don't know how old it is as the towns records kind of stink. To give an idea of its age my house is built on a fieldstone foundation with balloon framing and type B cutnails.

If you know a lot of about older building techniques, styles and so on please send me a private message on Fordbarn or an email at [email protected]
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
RcT

Default Re: NOT "A" old houses.

No need to apologize... I, too, have had unrelated questions before. First, go to a well-established title company in your town and request a "Chain of Title" on your home. There will be a fee, but they should have the ability to research back to the original owner and when it was built.
Go to ebay or Amazon and look for an old set of Audel's books on carpentry, masonry, whatever, and you should find whatever trade you need. Good luck.

Richard
RcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcT View Post
No need to apologize... I, too, have had unrelated questions before. First, go to a well-established title company in your town and request a "Chain of Title" on your home. There will be a fee, but they should have the ability to research back to the original owner and when it was built.
Go to ebay or Amazon and look for an old set of Audel's books on carpentry, masonry, whatever, and you should find whatever trade you need. Good luck.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Would this information have been part of the title insurance we paid for when we bought the house a little over 1 year ago?
Old 07-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
Bob C

If any of the sinks, toilets, or bath tubs are original to the house they usually
have dates cast or stamped on them.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
If any of the sinks, toilets, or bath tubs are original to the house they usually
have dates cast or stamped on them.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Unfortunately the original toilet is no longer present as it was an outhouse . Sewers were not put in until 1910.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
Patrick L.

Do you have a basement ?? Is the foundation or basement walls mortared/pointed or dry laid ?? Are the joists hewn flat on the top side, hand hewn on all sides or rough cut ?? What do your roof boards look like and how far apart are they ?? I guess dates can't be pinned down too closely as building styles are carried on for long times depending on areas and styles overlap depending on who does the building..
Have you hit any of those cut nails with the saw yet ??
How far back does the deed go ??
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
30Ford

My Mother has an old colonial home..well we replaced the flooring in the dining room and they used old news papers to level the floor..well one was the day they hung Louis Riel in 1885....also I was told that they sometimes stamped the dates on the front door striker plate..but I never looked my self.....by the was it had a 3 holer in the barn
30Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #8
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
Do you have a basement ?? Is the foundation or basement walls mortared/pointed or dry laid ?? Are the joists hewn flat on the top side, hand hewn on all sides or rough cut ?? What do your roof boards look like and how far apart are they ?? I guess dates can't be pinned down too closely as building styles are carried on for long times depending on areas and styles overlap depending on who does the building..
Have you hit any of those cut nails with the saw yet ??
How far back does the deed go ??
Partial basement. Field stone foundation which appears to have mortar in it and over it. Crawl spaces are bare fieldstone with mortar inbetween the rocks while the basement has been coated. All of the crawlspaces appear to be part of additions to me as the wood framing above them differs from the framing over the basement section. The last addition was done using concrete block to extend the length of the house. Framing above this is still full size lumber and has plaster walls.

Framing is full size rough cut lumber which has circular saw marks from the mill. My floor joists are 2x8 over a 15 foot span 24" centers. Rafters are 2x6, not sure on span but there is no ridge board.

House was originally heated by multiple wood or coal stoves. Looks like one or two in the basement and than two on the second floor near the bedrooms. Steam heat was installed around 1920 judging by the Kohler radiators. Have not cut into a cutnail yet.

This picture shows the basement section of the foundation as well as the winder stairs and an arm which was placed there to scare my mother.

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos...77360266_n.jpg

This is the front of the house. The porch, car port and bay window and aluminum siding are obviously not original. I also had to tear down the tiny brick chimney last year and install a B-vent.

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos...87807108_o.jpg

This is the attic over the newest section of the house which is built on concreteblock.
https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos...53_43618_o.jpg

The wood floors are not original and it does not appear to have had "subfloors" but rather the subfloors were the finished floors at one time.

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos...3_419220_n.jpg

This picture is a bit strange.
Apparently the opening for the basement stairs was cut into the floor at a later date. This shows the joists which have been cut. Since this picture these have been removed as I moved the plumbing into that area to get it out of the stair well as can be seen in the first picture with the fake arm in it.

Point of the picture is to show how the floor joists are cut to sit on top of the sill. The white crap is plaster.

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos...01491815_o.jpg

Last edited by MrTube; 07-02-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
Clydes 31 P/U

Mr Tube, Your place looks a lot like mine. Mine was built by my GGrandparents in 1873 I don't know if the area of the country would affect building styles much or not but my floor joists are blind mortised into 16" square hand hewn beams.
Clydes 31 P/U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
Patrick L.

All the pictures kinda look to me that everything adds up to a house built around, or a bit before, the turn of the last century.. Of course,, I could very well be wrong..
I'm not sure when concrete blocks started to become common place,, cider blocks were still used in this area thru the depression..
It'll get interesting when you try to saw thru one of those cut nails..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #11
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTube View Post

Just a suggestion FWIW:

Looks like the surrounding houses might be about the same age. If the neighbors know the vintage of theirs, maybe compare construction details to see if they match yours?
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #12
RcT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTube View Post
Hi Richard,

Would this information have been part of the title insurance we paid for when we bought the house a little over 1 year ago?
No, I think it;s an extra fee.

I was looking at your pictures, and if I had to take a stab at the date, I would put it in the 1910-1920 range. Another clue, is that it appears to be built in a tract of similar homes. During this time, and earlier, one could order a complete home from Sears Roebuck, and it came all pre-cut, ready for assembly.

Another source might be a professional inspector, preferably a retired one, well-seasoned.

What does the electrical look like? wires on little insulators in the attic? Lathe and plaster walls? perfect, old forest timber, no knots in the floor joists or rafters? All this points to early 20th century construction.

One more clue; your title will give a description of the lot, the subdivision, the tract, and record maps exist of when the lots were created. Your local tax assessor will have that info.

Looks like a nice solid home. First priority is your electrical, make sure its in good shape. Then the plumbing. If water is moving slowly, crud has built up in the pipes. Then add insulation.

Just to make this thread legal, do you have a Model A Ford?

Richard
RcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #13
MrTube

I do not own a model A yet

But I do maintain my bosses which of course means I drive it plenty as well. Does that count?

Old 07-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #14
gweilbaker

Uh-umm, the orange thingie is for the white stuff that accumulates on driveways during the winter months, it doesn't work too well on the grass.

I couldn't resist,
GW
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #15
Ross/Kzoo

If it's in a plat you can find out when the plat was recorded. If it's in a city or metropolitan area they used to have map records at the fire station or city with pertinent information to the fire dept. such as 1 1/2 story, woodframed, brick veneer etc.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #16
2manycars

Sounds like your house was built around 1900, plus or minus 20 years. Balloon framing went out around 1930 in most places, as it is unsafe in a fire without firestops.
I love the color of that pickup!!
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:06 AM   #17
supergnat

Mr. Tube,
Another way to research your house in NJ is to take the lot and block number to your county property records department and research the title transfer records. Those records are usually pretty complete. The process takes a very long time due to the system used by the county but you may be successful in your search.
Supergnat from NJ
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #18
MrTube

Just wanted to update the thread.

I purchases Sanborn Fire Insurance maps for the area which gave me 8 maps from 1892,1897,1902,1909,1914,1924,1941,1961

The house was there in 1892 so I hunted down an 1887 directory for the county which for our town, did NOT have house numbers for the names so I'm out of luck going that route. For what its worth just about every house that is there now, is on the 1892 map.

I will continue to try and hunt down this information.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #19
29ModelA

I was going to say that the construction looked even older than what was used in my home. I had books in the walls dated 1908.

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #20
mass A man

Almost identical to my house's construction, which was built in 1879 but many pieces were taken from a tear-down somewhere, near here I imagine, that date as far back to Pre-Revolution times. The Rebecca Nurse Homestead (1678) is near my house, she was hanged for being one of Satan's disciples on July 19, 1692. Her house was built with the lumber from a tear down from 1630.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote