Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-26-2010, 05:53 AM   #1
allen

Send a message via ICQ to allen
Default primer frame

I am doing a frame off on a 30 Tudor, we are down to the frame now, my question is were the frames primer we ran into yellow primer then black, its had for me to believe this once was a frame off , It was in very poor shape last tagged in 66 other than primer and a jc Whitney chrome dash look stock
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:05 AM   #2
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: primer frame

My brothers car was restored in 1970. It was 40 years old then and it is due for another restoration. It is 40 years older. The reproduction owners manual that has been in his passenger door pocket looks like a well aged original.

The frame was originally painted with just a black paint. It was sprayed and I think the first coat was a slightly different mix to adhere to the metal better, but I might be thinking of another part of the car. The order of how it was done can be found well documented in the paint book produced by one of the clubs. With the book and a bit of care you can get something close to the original look without being points anal and taking forever to make it perfect.

Something to consider.
In my opinion, you should get the frame straight. Build the body and fenders on the frame and then put the chassis together. Keep in mind the only way to ensure you get the fenders to fit is to properly set up the frame and work them on the frame. I point this out because a lot of guys like to do the chassis first. A done chassis makes it harder to work on finishing fenders and body stuff without risking your frame paint.

See my technical hints for more info on setting up fenders.

My guess is that if you look close enough you will find more non-Ford parts that look original. Though a car restored in 1966 could have had a bunch of NOS parts used.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:46 AM   #3
Kurt in NJ

The yellow primer is probably Rustoleum zinc chromate ---that is what my whole body and frame got in 1971
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
allen

Send a message via ICQ to allen

thanks kevin, Its was hard for me to belive that some would go thur the trouble of a frame off and then let the car get in this shape, but i guess it happens thanks for the tips have read it and very good advice
allen is offline   Reply With Quote