Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-18-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
MBI Houston

Default How to flush radiator

Newbie here: I looked in all my books but could not find out the correct procedure for a semi annual radiator flush on my 30 coupe. I found out how to remove a radiator and reinstall it but nowhere could I find anything on the maintenance. Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks
Marshall
MBI Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
RonC

Default Re: How to flush radiator

The easiest flush is to put a garden hose in the top with the water on, open the petcock and with the engine running adjust the hose so that the water level stays at the top of the radiator. Run the engine until the water comes out clean then turn off hose and allow the remaining water to run out. Make sure you refill with 50/50 radiaitor fluid or use a water pump anti-rust additive to water. Run the engine to recurculate the new fuild. Add a can of pellet stop leak if you have any weeps.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
RonC

Default Re: How to flush radiator

Short of taking the radiator out of the car. A more agressive flush is to back flush it while still in the car using air and water. You can make up a back flush tool out of an old gooseneck. Take the gooseneck, drill and tap for an air blower chuck hooked up to a air compressor, block off the head hole on the gooseneck with some sheet metal and tap in a water sill cock. Hook up to the bottom radiator tube with a piece of hose. You can turn on the water and squirt air into the radiator. It will blow out a lot of junk. Be gental squiting air into the radiator they are delicate
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote