Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-17-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
flash9376

Default fender welting

Im at the point in my restoration of my '30 tudor sedan where its time to start putting the fenders on the chassis and im not sure how to correctly install the fender welting, or rather where it all goes. If anyone has any pictures or xcan explain what its supposed to look like when its done, it would help me a ton and id be most appreciative. Thank you.
flash9376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
Fred K-OR

Default Re: fender welting

I found that using some masking tape to hold the welting in place while installing the fenders works great. Before you tighten the bolts down tight, you slip the tape out. Also I cut a "v" shape where the bolts fit. This not only lets the bolts go in easy it also lets the welting bend easer around some of the bends on the fender. Don't know if this is per the "book" but it worked for me. I think once you get into doing the installation if front or back, you will kind of see where it goes. If not, if you belong to a club take a look at another members A at a meeting. Pictures are kind of hard to come up with to show all the ways where it needs to be installed.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
Ron in Quincy

Default Re: fender welting

Does you Tudor have 30 type front fenders or 30-31 type front fenders? If 30 type, welting only goes down the seam between the running board shield and the fender, it stops at the runningboard. If 30-31 type fenders the welting starts on the top of the frame, between fender and running board shield, turns and continues between fender and running board shield and stops at the running board.

Note: there is no welting between the end of the fender and the running board on either 30 or 30-31 type fenders.

On the rear fenders the welting starts at the front between the fender and the bottom of the running board shield, continues up to the top of the shield turns and lays between the body and fender all the way to the back

If I had a picture I'd post it or you might contact someone in your area that is fimiliar with 30 -31 type fenders.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote